Appropriate Gift for child: Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Appropriate Gift for child: Spyderco?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you had a family member or members who are boys in the age 8-12 category, would you consider it acceptable to give them, as a gift, a full-sized Spyderco Endura, Pacific Salt, or that type and size of knife, in that age bracket, along with fire starters/makers and a book on outdoor survival? I know from looking back, that when I was in that age, I would have loved to receive a gift like that. What do you all say? Would that be an appropriate and most likely well-enjoyed and treasured gift for them?

Or, is it better to start them off with something smaller, such as a Delica, or one of the Spyderco slip joint/non locking or cheaper folders, like a Byrd? The Byrd Cara Cara, though, is essentially Endura-like as is the Tenacious.
tvenuto

Re: Appropriate Gift for child: Spyderco?

Post by tvenuto »

Being a parent, it's better off to ask the parent first.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I've been mulling over the same question for my grandchildren. The boys want to be able to flip open a knife the way they've seen me do it. The big knives are easier to flip open than the small ones. Maybe I'll just give them a BaliYo instead.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Best to ask parents. At that age I would have found the larger knives too big. I would have considered a Delica to be perfect.
Sully

Post by Sully »

tvenuto wrote:Being a parent, it's better off to ask the parent first.

Totally agree. Not the gift-giver's call to make at that young age.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

A high-powered flashlight is a great alternative piece of gear for a kid that age. Help them dominate at flashlight tag. :)
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

I gave my kids, a girl and a boy, their first production knives at 7 and 8. They had cheap souvenir knives already at that age. My only concern was them misplacing them, and that dictated the cost.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If the parents are ok with it I say give them a Delica or Salt 1 (I gave my daughter a Delica at that age). Adding a flashlight is a great idea.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Knife yes, fire starter no!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sully wrote:

Totally agree. Not the gift-giver's call to make at that young age.
Definitely. Knives, guns, and musical instruments are great gifts for kids in that age range, but should always be cleared by a parent first.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

And puppies.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Mad Mac wrote:And puppies.
PUPPIES!!!! Especially German Shepherd puppies!!! The parents will love you......maybe.
:D
Joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely OK this with the parents, but assuming they're on board with it, the Delica is a great choice. My son loved the one I had and that was the knife he always chose to use when we would whittle things. He also has a Dragonfly which works great for small hands. Obviously you could also get the Dialex Junior, since it was designed for this very use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

If I got a knife the quality of a delica or Dfly when I was that age it would have been one of my most prized possessions. I think a smaller knife would be better for manipulation as their hands are significantly smaller.

That being said I have seen kids in that age range that were more than responsible enough to have and carry a pocket knife. I have also seen adults that couldn't be trusted with safety scissors. Asking the parents is a good first step. Knowing the "mental" age of the child is a good second step.

I have a purple delica put aside with a purple leatherman for when my daughter is responsible enough to have and carry. Until then she gets to practice under supervision with the knives I have.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Delica, Dragonfly, Ambitious, Persistence; I might also suggest some of the smaller Byrd knives, as they'll be less of a loss if lost. Also, a Leatherman Leap might be a good idea, as the blade is off by default and the parents can install it if/when they feel the child is ready.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If I were buying a knife, with the parents' permission, for a child that young I would get a Byrd knife...probably a Meadowlark. That way, if the knife is lost, stolen (a likely event), or broken, there is no great loss. Save the more expensive knives for when they are older and more responsible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Many of us learned safe blade-handling skills by starting out with a slipjoint pocket knife. Having a locking folder as one’s first folding knife could lead to over reliance on the lock, with potentially injurious results. Another plus of slipjoints is that they come across less like a weapon and more like the tool they are.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I remember I started out with a Vic Classic when I was around 8, but I had my fair share of accidents with the lack of a lock. Some of them could have been quite serious. I feel it is safer to learn the basic knife handling skills with a lock, and later move to the less safe slip-joints.

For that reason I gave my 8 year old daughter a Byrd Robin 2 about a year ago. Back lock + choil feels safer than some of the other locks. I removed the edge and put a somewhat dull edge on it, just enough to carve wood, but not break skin on contact. She doesn't carry it around, it stays in the drawer until we want to use it, and only when I'm around. We regularly carve sticks with the Byrd, a bunch of Mora's, and some of my Spydies. My 6 year old will have to keep using a Mora until she's 8... :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I gave my daughter a dragonfly for her 8th birthday. Great grip for small hands, not too big or heavy, not too expensive.

3 years later she hasn't lost it.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

+1