SpartanJohns thinks that 154CM is a much better steel than VG-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anagarika

Re: SpartanJohns thinks that 154CM is a much better steel than VG-10

Post by anagarika »

swigert wrote:
Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I think Pepsi is a much better cola than Coke...
You're insane. Coke > Pepsi.
You are wrong. Pepsi every day.

This whole thread is wrong. I can't believe I got sucked into another one of his threads.
That's the problem with forum engine now cannot be forced to be on desktop mode, so that I can see who's the OP of the thread. I'm mostly on mobile, so it's a feature I really missed when the forum got upgraded.
Chris :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Able Dog wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What are the main strengths and weaknesses if you are comparing VG10 with 154?
I really can't tell much difference between them. They are both very easy to sharpen, corrosion-resistant, and take a wicked initial sharpness. I don't think the steels are significantly different enough to provide much measurable difference. Heat treat, blade shape, and quality of sharpening are probably the factors that people are experiencing.

I have limited, but positive, experience with 154cm and several Spydercos in VG-10. Both are great in my opinion.
I'd have to agree. My only experience with 154CM was on the Pilot Run version of the Manix 2 and I was favorably impressed by it. It is interesting to note that 154CM immediately got labeled as a "cheap and inferior" alternative to S30V and quickly faded from the Spyderco scene.
For me the biggest difference, at least up till now, is that 154CM would not have been an option for Spyderco models made in Japan due to the Japanese dislike for working with non-Japanese steels while VG-10, for whatever reasons, has never been used on Spydercos made anywhere else.
Sharp Guy wrote:
remnar wrote:
Evil D wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I think Pepsi is a much better cola than Coke...
You're insane. Coke > Pepsi.
You're both insane.

Tab>Pepsi>Coke :eek:
I'm in Texas now so I'm gonna go with Dr Pepper.
You're all wrong! Back when I drank cola, I was always an RC fan.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

GMArthur wrote:Who is SpartanJohns?
Why don't you ask him that on his YouTube channel?
Mikael Andersson

The Deacon wrote:
Able Dog wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What are the main strengths and weaknesses if you are comparing VG10 with 154?
I really can't tell much difference between them. They are both very easy to sharpen, corrosion-resistant, and take a wicked initial sharpness. I don't think the steels are significantly different enough to provide much measurable difference. Heat treat, blade shape, and quality of sharpening are probably the factors that people are experiencing.

I have limited, but positive, experience with 154cm and several Spydercos in VG-10. Both are great in my opinion.
I'd have to agree. My only experience with 154CM was on the Pilot Run version of the Manix 2 and I was favorably impressed by it. It is interesting to note that 154CM immediately got labeled as a "cheap and inferior" alternative to S30V and quickly faded from the Spyderco scene.

Labeled by whom exactly? The misinformed?
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

To quote a line from the movie Slither "...Mr. Pibb is the only Coke I like!"
palonej

Post by palonej »

Root Beer blows them all away.......maybe the OP can blow away too??
I can only hope!
Tool.
Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Able Dog wrote:

Don't really recall who, you can look it up if you care to. I don't put much faith in YouTube testers, or in forum hoo-hah. Even less when their conclusions go against my own experience. I tend to assume they have an agenda.

My own experience with 154CM was positive, so I'd say the folks who were knocking it were misinformed. But then, I'd say the same about SpartanJohns. I wouldn't consider 154CM "much better" than VG-10. I'd be more inclined to say it might be better for some specific tasks, but worse for others. But I think that's true of about any two steels. What makes a good razor doesn't make a good machete, and vise-versa.
Paul
Mikael Andersson

The Deacon wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Able Dog wrote:

Don't really recall who, you can look it up if you care to. I don't put much faith in YouTube testers, or in forum hoo-hah. Even less when their conclusions go against my own experience. I tend to assume they have an agenda.

My own experience with 154CM was positive, so I'd say the folks who were knocking it were misinformed. But then, I'd say the same about SpartanJohns. I wouldn't consider 154CM "much better" than VG-10. I'd be more inclined to say it might be better for some specific tasks, but worse for others. But I think that's true of about any two steels. What makes a good razor doesn't make a good machete, and vise-versa.
Unless you provide me with a link no I can't.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Many people know what they're talking about. Even one knowledgeable guy likes 154cm in a backwards chisel grind. Doesn't make it right :P

I have my own steel preferences, linking to someone who agrees with me doesn't change anything. I prefer Sandvik 14C28N over 154CM with a good heat treat.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mikael Andersson wrote:Unless you provide me with a link no I can't.

If you don't know how to use the search function here, that's not my problem.
Cujobob wrote:Many people know what they're talking about. Even one knowledgeable guy likes 154cm in a backwards chisel grind. Doesn't make it right :P

I have my own steel preferences, linking to someone who agrees with me doesn't change anything. I prefer Sandvik 14C28N over 154CM with a good heat treat.
Heck yeah, we had a guy here a couple weeks ago claiming 204P would make a better dive knife than H-1. ;)
Paul
Mikael Andersson

Cujobob wrote:Many people know what they're talking about. Even one knowledgeable guy likes 154cm in a backwards chisel grind. Doesn't make it right :P

14C28N is a good steel but I think that 154CM is a little bit better and CPM-154 is a little bit better than 154CM.
Mikael Andersson

The Deacon wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Unless you provide me with a link no I can't.

If you don't know how to use the search function here, that's not my problem.
I will not pay any attention to you in the future as you are just full of baloney.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Come on, Mikael. The Deacon is a very well-informed person regarding knives, steel, and he is one of the best posters/people on here. There was no need for a personal attack. I like some of your posts on knives and steel and am the better for them, but please don't make personal attacks against Deacon and others here.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Cool, another weird thread... :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A misinformed person is one who takes the opinion of another as fact without finding our for himself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Are you guys serious? Dr. Pepper is the best. I conducted my own very scientific study and have proven it so. I have numbers, videos, and charts even.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Which Spyderco blade do you think would be best to cut a soda can for an art project?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jabba359 wrote:Are you guys serious? Dr. Pepper is the best. I conducted my own very scientific study and have proven it so. I have numbers, videos, and charts even.
I'll drink it if that's all there is but I don't buy it. I'm more of a cola guy. I buy a lot of bottled root beer. Hanks is my favorite.
~David
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Mikael Andersson wrote:

14C28N is a good steel but I think that 154CM is a little bit better and CPM-154 is a little bit better than 154CM.
In what way is 154CM better? Steels cannot be ranked as good, better, best so simply. The difference in grind and heat treat between two blades will often dictate any differences noticed in edge retention, slicing ability, and toughness between somewhat similar steels. Inexpensive knives tend to use 154CM over the more 'premium' steels and inexpensive knives often have simple heat treats instead of one that may be more optimal.

I'm a Pepsi guy for what it's worth, too, but cola isn't my favorite. I'll take whatever Mr. Pibb is all day any day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
You're all wrong! Back when I drank cola, I was always an RC fan.

I love some RC! I've also had a "Crown and Crown" a time or two, some Crown Royal and Royal Crown Cola.
~David