Pocket Clip and screws for old ATS-55 G10 Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JediKnife

Pocket Clip and screws for old ATS-55 G10 Delica

Post by JediKnife »

Hi All,
I have been a long long fan of Spyderco; I started with the original Delica Clip-it and have been buying and using them ever since.
Many years ago, not long after I got married and we had our son, I bought my Dad a G10 Delica with ATS-55 steel. This was in the early to mid 1990's. It was beautiful and I couldn't even hardly afford to have one for myself but I wanted him to have it.
Last month, my Dad passed away and I found this in his dresser, in perfect condition but the pocket clip and screws are gone and I cannot find them.
I would very very much like to find replacement screws and pocket clip for this beautiful knife and carry it for myself now. I left a message with the Spyderco outlet in CO but I guess the time is still too early there but I just want to explore every avenue I can to find some screws and the clip for this.

Thanks in advance!
Paul P.
IMG_3658.JPG
swigert

Re: Pocket Clip and screws for old ATS-55 G10 Delica

Post by swigert »

Wow. What a knife.

Sorry about our dad. That was a great gift.

The factory outlet is your best bet. They will something that works.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just one thing, that's not a Delica, it's an original G10 Rookie (model number is C51). I mention it mostly because the one and only G10 Delica was a "4th Generation" Delica, and uses a clip with an entirely different screw hole pattern. OTOH, the clip used on the relatively recent G-10 Rookie Sprint Run might work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JediKnife

Post by JediKnife »

Thank you Swigert and Deacon. I think I barely do remember it being the "Rookie"' It was so long ago.

Paul
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have one of those rookies in my spyder pack, I can take the screws out and clip off and see if normal screws and clip fit.

I'm going to set it out now and I'll try to do that later tonight.

Did you notice that there are only clip holes on one side... because there is only one liner on the Rookie?

The Warranty department SHOULD know what you need and can most likely get you a new clip and new screws.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Jediknife and sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure the SFO will be able to help you out, that's a great looking knife and I'm sure would mean a lot to you to be able to carry it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

They said it.

Nice rookie man.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Okay, so here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here are two Rookies. One similar to the one you have and one is a sprint from a few years ago.

I notice the hole pattern on the clip is a little more shallow than the Rookie's, so I got everything I have that is sort of similar. The Lil Matriarch is in for the comparison to the standard Delica hole pattern.

Here is the Rookie with the clip taken off.

The Lil Lum is current production, so let's try that one, I believe they are producing the clips right now. The old school Rookie has some bigger screws.

Let's find something with larger screws. Here's a Para 2, that's also current production.

Para 2 screw is a little larger, but might not be as big as the old school Rookie.

Yep, the Para 2 screw bottoms out and doesn't even contact with the screws.

Okay, so... we'll try attaching the Lil Lum clip with the old Rookie screws. Oh no! The screws are so big that they don't even fit through the Lil Lum clip holes!

Well, that's everything I know, the solution is NOT simple, I hope warranty has something promising for you!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Worst case scenario, it may take sending the Rookie to Spyderco and letting them see what they can come up with.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JediKnife

Post by JediKnife »

Wow! Thank you all so much! Brian, just "WOW" for all the time you spent with the screws and clips. I know I am always scared I am going to lose one when I take them out for clip adjustment, etc so thanks tremendously!
I spoke to a very helpful gentleman at SFO yesterday and he was very helpful and is working on it now.
Thank you again everyone!
Donut

Post by Donut »

No problem at all. I know a little bit more for testing it out.

I hope you have good luck in getting it going.

Another good resource is someone who used to make custom clips, Steve/STR. I broke a clip for a Cricket probably 6 or 7 years ago, he sent me something, and I'm still using it right now. Here is a link to his blog: http://strsbackyardknifeworks.blogspot.com/
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
JediKnife

Re: Pocket Clip and screws for old ATS-55 G10 Delica (Follow-up)

Post by JediKnife »

I just wanted to follow up and say that Spyderco Factory Outlet has been phenomenal in helping me with this. I received the pocket clip and screws and they fit perfect! It is now riding clipped to my pocket. I believe the gentleman's name was Chris who helped me and spent valuable time for something as small as a pocket clip, but for me it was very special and I appreciate it tremendously! Thank you Spyderco! :spyder:
I took a picture with the Dragonfly 2 I just bought yesterday and opened the envelope containing the clip and screws with. :-)

Paul
IMG_3677.jpg
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's great news!

I hope you enjoy that knife. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.