Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Re: Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Post by Able Dog »

RamZar wrote:Three must haves: Sage 5, Advocate and SpydieChef.

MAP Pricing (40% off MSRP):
  1. Rubicon 2: $209.97
  2. Ouroboros: $167.97
  3. Rhino: $47.97
  4. Magnitude: $281.97
  5. Advocate: $221.97
I must say those are really nice prices, everything seems very reasonable. I am actually surprised at the cost of the Magnitude, I was sure it would be at least $300. More knife for less money than the Rubicon, I'm guessing they found a way to streamline production costs with the Carey models. A must buy to further my Every Day Carey collection.

The Rhino seems like a real winner. Good production quality, amazing price, and a functional little form-factor.

Ouroboros is about what I expected for a Japanese knife, another promising knife to purchase!

The Advocate is very well priced, I think. Compared to similarly priced competitors, the combination of orange-peeled Ti and CPM M4 are tantalizing.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The original Rubicon has one of the nicest CF I've ever seen and that includes the curvature and polish resulting in a MAP of $299.97. Magnitude doesn't seem to have the same CF finish resulting in a MAP of $281.97. Of course, I only own the original Rubicon, not handled Magnitude and there could be some other economies factored in.
Last edited by RamZar on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
rhynejjr

Post by rhynejjr »

All of the new knives are available for pre-order @ Knife Center, the Advocate is $222.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Hard to believe the price on the Rhino. But I guess it's pretty similar to the Cat in materials, build and manufacture location. I'll definitely try it out.
:bug-red-white
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Surfingringo wrote:Wow, digging the price on that Rhino. I'll probably have to give that one a go...hard not to at that price!
I'm thinking the Rhino is not made in the Taichung factory but the other factory in Taiwan where they make Chicago and Cat both also with CTS-BD1 steel and economically priced.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Palemoon, just for reference, I live right on the Pacific ocean in Central America. I've had the custom version of that "Advocate" for almost a year with no rust issues. I make sure to clean it after use and have sprayed it with a bit of wd40 a couple of times, but that's it.
Thanks for the input! Did you specifically apply wd40 to the pivot? If so, did you have to disassemble it? I don't carry non-stainless for EDC, and my dive knife is a tasman, so I've never put much thought into rust-proofing a folder.

I'm very surprised at the price on the Advocate... Actually, it seems everything in the Gayle Bradley line is priced very competitively. Might prove hard to delay a purchase on this one :o
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Probably just the Spydiechef for me ...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:All the knives look great but I think the Rubicon 2 is the one that piques my interest the most and I did not expect that to happen. I wonder what the price will be? Just want to congratulate SpyderNut again on getting his design made. Gotta be a dream come true and hopefully you can collaborate again in the future.
Thank you, Spydergirl88. I appreciate the kind words. :) The Rhino collaboration with Spyderco is indeed a dream-come-true. It was a huge honor to work with Sal and Eric on this project. They are indeed true gentlemen.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:All the knives look great but I think the Rubicon 2 is the one that piques my interest the most and I did not expect that to happen. I wonder what the price will be? Just want to congratulate SpyderNut again on getting his design made. Gotta be a dream come true and hopefully you can collaborate again in the future.
Thank you, Spydergirl88. I appreciate the kind words. :) The Rhino collaboration with Spyderco is indeed a dream-come-true. It was a huge honor to work with Sal and Eric on this project. They are indeed true gentlemen.
I will definitely be getting a Rhino. And not because of the price but because of the principle. You are always very helpful and courteous to new and old forumites alike. I wish you much success with this design.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

RamZar wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Wow, digging the price on that Rhino. I'll probably have to give that one a go...hard not to at that price!
I'm thinking the Rhino is not made in the Taichung factory but the other factory in Taiwan where they make Chicago and Cat both also with CTS-BD1 steel and economically priced.
I think you are right. In the picture in the catalog, the city name is partially obscured, but says something like 'Taipo...' or 'Taipe...'. Taipei perhaps?

Still, at that price you get G10, compression lock and nested liners. Seems like a bargain!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Does this Jumpmaster 2 not look like a full tang salt version of the Temperance 1? I was looking hard for a Temperance 1 SE some time ago, but could not find one anywhere.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
I will definitely be getting a Rhino. And not because of the price but because of the principle. You are always very helpful and courteous to new and old forumites alike. I wish you much success with this design.
That is very kind of you, Spydergirl88. I appreciate that very much. :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/dz307DrkS0Y
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Magnitude is really growing on me. I wish it would have different steel.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
PWork

Post by PWork »

Would I be guessing right that the Staling 2 is the byrd version of the Manbug?
Paul
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've wanted that Magnitude ever since I saw the prototype that Peter Carey sent in. While I really haven't been buying any knives lately, I'm certainly in for that one. The EuroEdge and SpydieChef are probably another two I'll get at some point. The Ouroboros is a maybe and I'll probably end up with a Sage 5, as I have the previous 4 so why quit now?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Nice to hear the advocate has a stainless lock insert. I wish the chef did but understand why they didn't with it being totally rust proof
bh49

Post by bh49 »

EuroEdge is also growing on me. I cannot imagine carrying this one, unless I want entire office to pi in their pants and call FBI on me. But it will be great collection piece.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:EuroEdge is also growing on me. I cannot imagine carrying this one, unless I want entire office to pi in their pants and call FBI on me. But it will be great collection piece.
Lol, just tell the office it's your new high-end letter opener and you should be good to go. ;)

bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:EuroEdge is also growing on me. I cannot imagine carrying this one, unless I want entire office to pi in their pants and call FBI on me. But it will be great collection piece.
Lol, just tell the office it's your new high-end letter opener and you should be good to go. ;)
you first :D :D :D :D