Serrata Camping!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PiggyBackJack

Serrata Camping!

Post by PiggyBackJack »

So, I took the excellent Serrata with me on a weekend camping trip a few weeks back and I thought I'd do a little write-up on the knife as well as post a few pictures!

Here she is:

The knife is a collaboration between Stuart Ackerman and Spydero and features cast 440c, which gives the steel a dendritic quality. The edge is very agressive and micro-serrated which makes cutting fibrous materials a dream!

The stock is very thick but thanks to the distal tapering it still handles beautifully.

Another closeup of the blade:

As I have mentioned in other threads, the Serrata is one of the best balanced blades I have handled and I really loved working with it. The handle is smooth and the F&F on mine is just excellent. Whoever the manufacturer in Taiwan is I have no complaints on their craftmanship! It's very comfortable in the hand and I didn't experience any hotspots when working with it.

It's a little too thick to make a good fishing knife, but hey, I can manage! ;)

Here's a couple shots with the Yo2 and the PM2 for size comparison:

As you can see from the last picture the polished blade has gotten a few scrathes but personally I don't mind. It only gives the knife some character!

The cast 440c is really easy to sharpen and I find that using low grits works the best. I used a 600 grit diamond stone and did not finish on anything finer. No stropping either. This gives the edge a really nice bite and only a few passes will bring it back to shaving sharp if needed. I freehand sharpen all my knives so I can't give you any exact angles but trust me when I say this beauty is very, very sharp! :)

All in all I'm very happy with the performance of the Serrata and it's quickly becoming my new favorite outdoors knife.

I also brought my Moonshiner from Condor but on this trip it mostly served as a beer stand since the Serrata handled pretty much everything I threw at it! ;)

QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
SpyderNut

Re: Serrata Camping!

Post by SpyderNut »

Very cool review, PBJ. I love to see real-world examples of Spydercos in use. Job well done--it looks like you had a good time too. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

SpyderNut wrote:Very cool review, PBJ. I love to see real-world examples of Spydercos in use. Job well done--it looks like you had a good time too. :)
Thanks! I have long since passed the point where I can say that I use all my knives. ****, I don't even use all the good ones! Too many knives and too few things that need cutting! :p

But every now and then you come across a great knife and then I just can't let it sit on a shelf! The Serrata just begs to cut stuff! :)

It was a great trip and I plan to get out a lot more now that summertime is finally arriving in my neck of the woods!
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Glad you got to get out and use your Serrata. I always thought it looked like a well designed knife.
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

DM11 wrote:Glad you got to get out and use your Serrata. I always thought it looked like a well designed knife.
It is indeed! The long blade curve and that trailing point actually gives it a lot of cutting power. The width of the blade makes it easy to choke up on in a tight pinch grip for finer work. My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that the stock is tad too thick for a mid size knife imo. It's not a deal breaker but I still think that a thinner blade would perform even better.