Cricket with Webbing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieJay

Cricket with Webbing

Post by SpydieJay »

This may be an old thread, but there are PE and SE stainless crickets with spider webbing on them (etched like Spin). These don't get a distinct model entry on Spydiewiki, so what are they and do they have a unique model SKU from the C29S or P? Thanks.
SpyderNut

Re: Cricket with Webbing

Post by SpyderNut »

Do you have a picture of these by chance? From the sound of it, I'd be willing to bet it is a Glasshart aftermarket etch.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

Please see ebay completed items listing below. One is SE and one is PE. From the winning bid, not very rare it appears.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 5573.m1684

Thanks.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes, that appears to be the same exact etch pattern that was made by (or created for) Linda Glasshart on several older SS Spyderco models (circa early 2000's). I have one of her old ATS-55 SS Delicas (CE) with the same etch pattern. I believe she made 28 of the Delicas with that etch. I'm not sure how valuable the Glasshart models would be from a collector's standpoint, but they do hold a bit of nostalgic value. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

SpyderNut wrote:Yes, that appears to be the same exact etch pattern that was made by (or created for) Linda Glasshart on several older SS Spyderco models (circa early 2000's). I have one of her old ATS-55 SS Delicas (CE) with the same etch pattern. I believe she made 28 of the Delicas with that etch. I'm not sure how valuable the Glasshart models would be from a collector's standpoint, but they do hold a bit of nostalgic value. :)
Yes, thank you. I agree if they are aftermarket, then probably not too collectible. If the SKU was different, I.e. condoned by Spyderco, that would be a different story.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When I got into Spyderco collecting back in 2003, they offered laser engraving on pretty much every all stainless folder they made, and they still may. However, to the best of my knowledge, the only laser engraved knives Spyderco ever considered as "official" variants with their own SKU were those done for the PRCA with the "bucking bronco" PRCA logo. The "bug and web" laser engraved knives were never considered variants, only a service available for a small fee.

There was a dealer up in the Boston MA area who use to order a lot of them and sold them regularly on eBay. IRRC, his BIN prices for them were generally $10 higher than those for the same model without engraving. Pretty sure I got this Delica from them, as well as this Scorpius that I later sold.

As for whether it adds value, that's a matter of opinion. IMHO, like beauty, its value is going to be in the eye of the beholder.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!