How dependent are you on your Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

How dependent are you on your Spyderco?

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I went on a flight out of state the other week, so obviously I did not have a knife with me on the plane. When the flight attendant handed me my little bagged snack, I reached for the Spyderco (usually a USN Ladybug or a Squeak) that usually resides in my jeans' watch pocket and it wasn't there. I must have struggled with that thing for a good minute or two with my clumsy uncoordinated fingers until I could rip it open, while I jealously spotted other people tear into theirs with ease.

Have I become totally Spydie dependent? Haha... although I suppose on a plane is the only place where it really matters. :)
SpyderNut

Re: How dependent are you on your Spyderco?

Post by SpyderNut »

I hear you, Eddie. I generally don't mind flying, except for having to stow all my knives in the checked luggage. :( After carrying at least one knife daily for 25+ years, I typically feel naked without at least having a Ladybug in my pocket. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:I went on a flight out of state the other week, so obviously I did not have a knife with me on the plane. When the flight attendant handed me my little bagged snack, I reached for the Spyderco (usually a USN Ladybug or a Squeak) that usually resides in my jeans' watch pocket and it wasn't there. I must have struggled with that thing for a good minute or two with my clumsy uncoordinated fingers until I could rip it open, while I jealously spotted other people tear into theirs with ease.

Have I become totally Spydie dependent? Haha... although I suppose on a plane is the only place where it really matters. :)
This is one reason to have a Leatherman Style PS. It's TSA-compliant, and if they take it because they might, it's only ~$20.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I would be totally lost without my knife. I almost sleep with it haha.

Sorry to get off topic for a second, but I will be going on my first plane flight in my life when we go to Hawaii for our honeymoon in September. So my question is I can put my spydies in my checked luggage no problem? I just can't carry it on the plane? Do I need to let them know I have a knife in my checked luggage?

Thanks,
Josh
Josh
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Actually much less than in the past. I've recently changed jobs and now I need a knife far less than I ever have which is a big change from using one so much that I obsessed over how fluidly I could draw/open/cut/close/clip a knife in one smooth motion. I still feel naked without one and reach for my knife any time something needs cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

murphjd25 wrote:I would be totally lost without my knife. I almost sleep with it haha.

Sorry to get off topic for a second, but I will be going on my first plane flight in my life when we go to Hawaii for our honeymoon in September. So my question is I can put my spydies in my checked luggage no problem? I just can't carry it on the plane? Do I need to let them know I have a knife in my checked luggage?

Thanks,
Josh
Congrats on the upcoming wedding, Josh! That is an exciting time in your life. Enjoy it! :)

You should be fine with stowing your knives in your checked luggage. I've done it numerous times with domestic flights without a hitch.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spyderco and I are in a healthy relationship but Spyderco and my paycheck don't get along... :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

murphjd25 wrote:I would be totally lost without my knife. I almost sleep with it haha.

Thanks,
Josh
Hi Murph, no problem with checking them. I suggest tucking them away in a pair of socks or in the pocket of folded jeans. Sometimes shiny things can disappear if you get a less than trustworthy inspector.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

SpyderNut wrote:

Thanks,
Josh
Congrats on the upcoming wedding, Josh! That is an exciting time in your life. Enjoy it! :)

You should be fine with stowing your knives in your checked luggage. I've done it numerous times with domestic flights without a hitch.
Surfingringo wrote:

Thanks,
Josh
Hi Murph, no problem with checking them. I suggest tucking them away in a pair of socks or in the pocket of folded jeans. Sometimes shiny things can disappear if you get a less than trustworthy inspector.
Thats sounds great, I will hide them in some socks or something! Thanks guys!
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks,
Josh
I go one extra step when checking my luggage. I typically will put a zip-tie through the knife to keep it closed and then attach the zip-tie to something in my luggage. This way, if they really want it, they'll have to work for it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

Thanks,
Josh
I go one extra step when checking my luggage. I typically will put a zip-tie through the knife to keep it closed and then attach the zip-tie to something in my luggage. This way, if they really want it, they'll have to work for it.
Thats not a bad idea either! That way I'd really know if someone was trying to snatch it.
Josh
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

My life force is pretty much sustained by the knowledge that I have my spydie on me at all times :D Well... maybe not that much. But I do feel very weird going somewhere without a blade in my pocket. That and I don't like not having a Flashlight on me. Both are vital to out of house excursions for me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

murphjd25 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Thanks,
Josh
Thats not a bad idea either! That way I'd really know if someone was trying to snatch it.
One other thing to try: I've successfully stowed 10+ folders in the lining of my checked suitcase. Basically, unzip the liner in the bottom of your suitcase and place your knives in between the liner and the case itself. (This works very well if using a Spyderpac, or a similar knife case.) Then, re-zip the liner and pack your clothes on top. *Presto!* You are then good to go. :)

Squawk

Post by Squawk »

When getting on a plane i usually put the knife/knives in a zip-pouch and secure the zippers with a little lock before stuffing them into the luggage. That way i also transport knives because that's the only legal way where i live to get folders from a to b (you could also use any other sealable container). When i need to go somewhere where i need to get some work done that my slipits can't do, i usually carry this pouch on me as i can easily access the knife by opening the number lock (is that the correct term?) i've attached to the zippers.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I recently flew down to visit my brother with a carry on only. We were headed to the Shenandoah's for a weekend of hiking and the idea of not having a knife with me was unbearable. So I bought a Delica and had it shipped to my brother. This forced me to carry a model I never quite enjoyed, and I'm happy to say that the third time was the charm for me and the Delica. Sadly, I was also inept at opening those overbuilt Jetblue chip bags.
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Gotta say I'm getting pretty dependent on my DFly. Took me awhile at first to always remember I have it, but with the little things like those annoying plastic bags I find myself now remembering to reach for my knife. So much fun to put it to use, nerdy knife newb that I am. :spyder: :)

Bakery string at recent party, for instance, I brought the cake and my DFly. (Why do bakeries wrap so much string around the box, like the cake may try to fight it's way out or something?!? :eek: ) Anywhoo, my foliage green DFly used to free the fancy pacifist cake got way more attention. :cool: Did not attempt to cut the cake with it though, even the DFly has its limits. :p (not really). Spyderco have a knife for that all-important task? :confused:

Back on topic... now that I have a knife I depend on, I remember to use it to cut even the little things like chip bags. My front teeth are very thankful. :D
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Miss Dragonfly wrote:Gotta say I'm getting pretty dependent on my DFly. Took me awhile at first to always remember I have it, but with the little things like those annoying plastic bags I find myself now remembering to reach for my knife. So much fun to put it to use, nerdy knife newb that I am. :spyder: :)

Bakery string at recent party, for instance, I brought the cake and my DFly. (Why do bakeries wrap so much string around the box, like the cake may try to fight it's way out or something?!? :eek: ) Anywhoo, my foliage green DFly used to free the fancy pacifist cake got way more attention. :cool: Did not attempt to cut the cake with it though, even the DFly has its limits. :p (not really). Spyderco have a knife for that all-important task? :confused:

Back on topic... now that I have a knife I depend on, I remember to use it to cut even the little things like chip bags. My front teeth are very thankful. :D
Same here.I love all my Dflys , they are so easy to carry and so usefull for the daily chores that I became more and more dependent on them.Lately , my Hap40 Dfly reign supreme in my edc rotation as I predicted.In fact, I should replace my "edc rotation " with my "edflyc rotation".BTW Miss Dragonfly which Dflys do you own ?
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

elena86 wrote: Same here.I love all my Dflys , they are so easy to carry and so usefull for the daily chores that I became more and more dependent on them.Lately , my Hap40 Dfly reign supreme in my edc rotation as I predicted.BTW Miss Dragonfly which Dflys do you own ?
Hi Elena! I own a foliage green G10 DFly2. And, ummm, that's all. Weird, I know. :o But it makes me happy. Among my friends and family it's become My Knife. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate and consider all the other great options. But for now anyway, I'm in a committed monogamous relationship. :D
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Spyderco and I are in a healthy relationship but Spyderco and my paycheck don't get along... :p
My paycheck and Spyderco get along a little too well... I wonder if I can figure out some sort of direct deposit system with SFO. :)
PWork

Post by PWork »

My Manbug has practically become a part of me.
Paul