Dragonfly Tale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Dragonfly Tale

Post by Doc Dan »

The other night, my wife and I, after having been invited, went to dinner with a very high ranking official, and a couple of friends of ours. We had a blast. We road in a limo to the dinner. That was a real treat for my wife. We went to one of those fancy places I never take her to because of the expense. You know, one of those places where the waiters wait on you hand and foot. Anyway, I was wearing light weight dress pants and I did not want to carry a large knife because I did not know how the official, or the others, would feel about it if they saw it. Still, I wanted a knife big enough to meet any challenge, Thanks to John Shirley I have learned that a small blade makes a big "get off of me!" statement if you know how to use it. So, I took the clip off of my orange Dragonfly and dropped it in my pocket. It is so light weight that it simply disappeared.

When some of the food was cut too big for my small wife to chew, out came the Dragonfly and surreptitiously cut it in small bites and no one the wiser.

Today, I went to the university to teach and I dropped my purple Dragonfly into my pocket and I could not even tell it was there. I had to check once, to make certain.

It is true that I love my Manbugs, but the Dragonfly still fills the bill of a dedicated pocket knife better than anything that is out there, by any maker. It is functional and practical, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PWork

Re: Dragonfly Tale

Post by PWork »

Good post, and you have fine taste in knives. The Dragonfly and Manbug are my favorites. In fact, I have both on me now.
Paul
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hey Doc whay do you carry a purple Dfly ? Give it to your wife and buy a racing green ZDP189 one :D Joke aside I decided to carry my Hapfly as my main edc for awhile.It serves me so well that I don't feel the need for a larger folder.BTW who is John Shirley ? Just curious
mattman

Post by mattman »

elena86 wrote:Hey Doc whay do you carry a purple Dfly ? Give it to your wife and buy a racing green ZDP189 one :D Joke aside I decided to carry my Hapfly as my main edc for awhile.It serves me so well that I don't feel the need for a larger folder.BTW who is John Shirley ? Just curious
John Shirley co-designed the Ark.

Posts here often, though his screen name escapes me at the moment...
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

elena86 wrote:Hey Doc whay do you carry a purple Dfly ? Give it to your wife and buy a racing green ZDP189 one :D Joke aside I decided to carry my Hapfly as my main edc for awhile.It serves me so well that I don't feel the need for a larger folder.BTW who is John Shirley ? Just curious
Purple is the color of royalty. Keep on King-ing on, Doc Dan! Sweet DFly Tale, self-assured Gentleman. :)
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Love a good Dragonfly Tale!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great story, Dan. The Dragonfly2 is a fantastic LBK--small enough to be inconspicuous, yet big enough to tackle most daily chores with ease. It's the perfect "black ops knife" for a gentlemen/ladies. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Purple is not a ladies color only. Originally, only kings wore purple and later bishops, too. No one else could wear purple. Of course, now anyone can wear purple. I bought two of those purple Dragonfly knives because my wife asked Sal to make one and he replied to her. She was shocked! Then, true to his word, out came the purple Dragonfly. She had hers at that fancy dinner, too. :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050