What is Spyderco's FLAGSHIP model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

What is Spyderco's FLAGSHIP model?

Post by DrtyHarry »

Well, MOST people that I know…..be knife nuts like some of us are or the average Joe that owns a knife (that happens to be a Spyderco). I found that the most popular and the most common model that most folks have is the Para Military 2 (PM2) in S30V.

I happen to have a PM2, but it's the "Blurple" S110V version and aside from it being just a hair on the smaller side for my hand…I honestly think it's one of the best folding knives out there, especially for the asking price.

My favorite and most used and collected model, however…is the Military. That knife fits me like a glove and I think it's just about perfect in every single way. Sure, I would like to see an option to change the position of the pocket clip. Perhaps a lock like the PM2 and perhaps it should come with a back spacer. BUT…that all aside, the Millie is my favorite.

What do you think is Spydero's FLAGSHIP model…and what is your favorite? I ask because this came up the other night with some of my fellow brothers, and figured I would ask here and see what you all had to say. Stay sharp…

DrtyHarry
Last edited by DrtyHarry on Thu May 19, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
tangent

Re: What is Spyderco's FLAGSHIP model?

Post by tangent »

For me it's the Delica. Epitomizes what Spyderco is all about...again...to me.
Matrix Dweller

Post by Matrix Dweller »

Not exactly the flagship model, but I think an SE DF2 is the most quintessential Spyderco, everything about it is Spyderco.

-Spyderedge cutting edge
-Leaf shaped blade
-Full Flat Grind
-Thumb ramp and finger choil
-Opening hole (duh)
-Bidirectional textured FRN handle
-Back lock with Boye Dent
-Wire pocket clip
And being an LBK is very Spyderco as well!

I don't think there's another Spyderco yet that is more of a Spyderco than that little guy!
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Matrix Dweller wrote:Not exactly the flagship model, but I think an SE DF2 is the most quintessential Spyderco, everything about it is Spyderco
Interesting, I didn't know the serrated Dragonfly was full flat grind. I think any I've seen in pictures have been sabre grind (if that's what it's called) like the Salts. I presume you're referring to the VG10 models? I was musing about one of those with stainless steel handle as a sailing knife, would need to be serrated of course.
---------
Tony S
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Delica/Endura

It's not a "showcase" model with bells and whistles.... But its the quintessential models, best-sellers year in and year out.

Flagship usually denotes premium grade. Perhaps the Military or Fluted Ti Native.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Sometimes flagship can mean quintessential, in which case I would agree with delica, PM2, or DF2.

More often I think of flagship as "finest" though. In that case, price is often a good indicator of what a company internally sees as its own flagship. In that case, we would be looking at the Chaparral Stepped Ti. This knife also tends to fit with most of spyderco's design philosophies, so it is somewhat of a quintessential spyderco as well as the "finest." It also fits to me because it is in-house designed, not a collab.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

You could differentiate between "flagship" and "standard bearer". For a flagship, it would be something very high end, shows off the company and its capabilities, and probably sells relatively well also. I like your thinking EDC Honeybee; the Chaparral is a good idea. However, I'd disagree and suggest a slightly-cheaper knife: Military w/ Fluted Ti. I'm not sure there is a more "Spyderco" knife at the top end of their price range; the rest are mostly collabs which is fine but not in-house, and the Milly is, IMO, just more well-known. Now, when the Nirvana and 40th Ann. Native are out, both of those might make a case. Native for obvious reasons, Nirvana because while it's a collab, it's also an achievement to produce.
For a standard bearer, I think it's a combination of Delica/Endura, with PM2 and DF2 tied for 2nd place, and probably the Native 5 in 3rd.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

EDC Honeybee wrote:Sometimes flagship can mean quintessential, in which case I would agree with delica, PM2, or DF2.
Agree. Still EDC my Delica, although it doesn't get much use these days. It's got several k of ocean miles under its belt, and been resharpened, refinished. The plastic clip has loosened a bit.

elena86

Post by elena86 »

DrtyHarry wrote:Well, MOST people that I know…..be knife nuts like some of us are or the average Joe that owns a knife (that happens to be a Spyderco). I found that the most popular and the most common model that most folks have is the Para Military 2 (PM2) in S30V.

I happen to have a PM2, but it's the "Blurple" S110V version and aside from it being just a hair on the smaller side for my hand…I honestly think it's one of the best folding knives out there, especially for the asking price.

My favorite and most used and collected model, however…is the Military. That knife fits me like a glove and I think it's just about perfect in every single way. Sure, I would like to see an option to change the position of the pocket clip. Perhaps a lock like the PM2 and perhaps it should come with a back spacer. BUT…that all aside, the Millie is my favorite.

What do you think is Spydero's FLAGSHIP model…and what is your favorite? I ask because this came up the other night with some of my fellow brothers, and figured I would ask here and see what you all had to say. Stay sharp…

DrtyHarry
I'm confused :confused: You started two threads on the same topic.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I only started one thread…what are you talking about?
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Technically the Sharpmaker but I would say originally the Worker and it's spawn, the Delica and Endura.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Not sure how two threads were made…my bad. Perhaps mods can merge them? Sorry guys…

Harry
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

There is 3 endura,delica,dragonfly

Old native and plastic stretch should also be mentioned.

So 5 lol
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I think more people have a PM2 than any other model….at least Spyderco owners that I know. And as for the best built and most useful, the Military. How many Sprint Runs did they make of the Military? And what about the PM2? I don't like the plastic scales on some of the other models…but that's just me.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

If "flagship" is the most enduring model that the highest number of people would immediately recognize as a Spyderco...I would say Delica.
If "flagship" is the most high-end model a company produces (which is usually the meaning of flagship to my understanding) I would say the Nirvana will own that spot the moment it ships.
If "flagship" means the model that starts most people of their path to full on Spyder addition I would say PM2.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
shimage

Post by shimage »

elena86 wrote:I'm confused :confused: You started two threads on the same topic.
Actually, he started 3.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Xplorer wrote:If "flagship" is the most enduring model that the highest number of people would immediately recognize as a Spyderco...I would say Delica.
If "flagship" is the most high-end model a company produces (which is usually the meaning of flagship to my understanding) I would say the Nirvana will own that spot the moment it ships.
If "flagship" means the model that starts most people of their path to full on Spyder addition I would say PM2.
For me, this is the most comprehensive and accurate answer.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Yeah, except 'flagship' doesn't have multiple meanings..
It's like giving different meanings to"basic"...
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I'm sure the PM2 is a great knife , but I would be very surprised if it outsells and out numbers the Delica and the rest of the FRN family .
So my vote is for the Delica , but the original Police is also an icon of the Spyderco range and must get a mention as well for nostalgic reasons .

Ken
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sal did once mention that the stainless Police model has been in the top ten bestselling Spyderco knives every year since it was introduced way back in 1984. I'm pretty sure it has also made more screen appearances than any other Spyderco knife.