What is Spyderco's FLAGSHIP model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

Re: What is Spyderco's FLAGSHIP model?

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Maybe it would be better to ask what Spyderco knife does the majority of people buy?

My guess to that question would be the Para-Military 2.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Larry_Mott wrote:Yeah, except 'flagship' doesn't have multiple meanings..
It's like giving different meanings to"basic"...
Flagship has two meanings in the dictionary, and one of them is broken into parts.

" the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain"

That is pretty consistent with how people in the thread are breaking it down. Some are taking it as "finest," others are taking it as "most important."

Also, as for basic, I can think of two meanings right away. Language is complex and meanings aren't always clear especially over the net.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I consider the Native 5 to be Spyderco's current flagship actually. It's a highly refined version of a classic in-house model that will also be used as the 40th anniversary folder.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

First one that came to mind...
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

DrtyHarry wrote:I think more people have a PM2 than any other model….at least Spyderco owners that I know. And as for the best built and most useful, the Military. How many Sprint Runs did they make of the Military? And what about the PM2? I don't like the plastic scales on some of the other models…but that's just me.
I would say there are by far more owners of Endura's and Delica's than PM2's..... PM2's have become a favorite among the "newer" Spyderco owners(less than 10yrs)....
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

abbazaba wrote:First one that came to mind...
I gotta go with native too. There's a reason why it's gone through so many iterations, refined the lock, produced several forum knives, and now even anniversary model. Obviously someone thinks extremely highly of it and uses it to represent the brand. (Although personally I would've picked something with a thumb ramp too which, along with the 50/50 choil, is one of the best features of classic spydercos)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think that any of the models that deserve to be called Spyderco's "flagship" models must certainly be their own "IN HOUSE" designs. There are good arguments to say that the iconic POLICE model should have that title. But as successful as those "CALYPSO" models have been I think it should be one of them.

Virtually everything about the C-54 Calypso design has all the features of not only the Calypso models but just has all the attributes of Spyderco's designs going all the way back to the mid 90s that spawned most of the better designs we've seen up till now. I say that because there have been so many of the Calypso models throughout the years and most of them have been largely successful.

Also I believe that during the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS (1998-2003) was when the biggest percentage of the most loved Spyderco models came out of IMO.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Definitely the Delica.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

My vote for standard bearers are really for five knives and they've all been mentioned but one or all have been what really put spyderco on the map for most people that like the company.

Police
Delica
Native
Military
Paramilitary

My favorite is the military. The design, IMO, couldn't get much better. It's also what turned me on to spyderco.

The flagships, though, seem to usually be collaborations. The Slysz Bowie and the upcoming Rassenti have pushed the limit of what big manufacturers can produce for reasonable prices and Spyderco put them out in enough numbers for everyone to get one if they want one without crazy markups on the secondary market.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

I'm too recent a convert to have much of an opinion, but back in the 90's when I was dedicated to and buying lots of BM knives the only spyderco I ever regularly saw in my circles was a stainless police. That's the image I saw in my head for 2 decades whenever spyderco was brought up. This was reinforced by a few sightings on tv. I think the first image I think of now is a delica or endura.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's obvious: old school SS SE Police.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

bpahk wrote:
abbazaba wrote:First one that came to mind...
I gotta go with native too. There's a reason why it's gone through so many iterations, refined the lock, produced several forum knives, and now even anniversary model. Obviously someone thinks extremely highly of it and uses it to represent the brand. (Although personally I would've picked something with a thumb ramp too which, along with the 50/50 choil, is one of the best features of classic spydercos)

This really is a beautiful looking knife!! :eek:
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

elena86 wrote:It's obvious: old school SS SE Police.
That was my first Spyderco...but after it slipped out of my hand a few times, I was going to do away with it. BUT...I discovered the Millie at that time. They fitted almost the same, but I was able to get a MUCH MUCH better grip. So I got rid of it, went to my bro as a gift (still has it), and got myself a Millie. We Greeks have this very old school tradition....not sure if it exists in other cultures. But knives are often given as gifts from one man to another. When you give a friend a knife as a gift, it is custom for them to give you money in return...doesn't matter what it is, here in the US with my fellow Greek friends, if I give a friend a knife as a gift...they will hand me a $1 bill in return. Something to do with the knife cutting the paper instead of the friendship...I don't fully understand it. But I often give knives away to my friends as gifts....in my ring of friends, we give knives to one and other. "Did Harry give you that?" "Is that from Harry?" "Harry gave you a Sebenza and gave me a just a Buck?" LOL
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!