The Manix XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

The Manix XL

Post by MacLaren »

My main carry knife for a couple years now. Just cannot get over how well I like the XL.
Originally had her professionally sharpenend by Jason Bosman. Which btw, was the best thing I ever done, because all i have to do now, and have been doing for the last couple years is give her a few strokes on the SharpMaker, and she is just hair splittin sharp.
Says a heckuva lot for s30v too imo. I find s30v, really to be my favorite steel. The Manix XL and I - we just click!
Just had to share that tonight fellas....
DutchBlades

Re: The Manix XL

Post by DutchBlades »

I don't carry it as a main EDC blade seeing how people in the Netherlands aren't that used to people carrying blades.
If I whip out a regular Manix, people are already in a state of semi-shock...
But it does get carried a lot when staying indoors or outside of public places when I don't have a smaller backup :)
Gotta love a beefy blade! :D

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

With you 100%. I don't carry it very often, as I'm usually in gym shorts, but it's one of my favorite designs, hands down.
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

No one gives the XL enough credit for what it is. Absolutely love that knife.
"I can stop at any time."
Danke

Post by Danke »

Just got my first and it managed to bump the HAP40 Delica out of my pocket. A really nice feeling and functioning knife; super easy to one hand open and one hand close.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

One of my favorites. I have 2 in my EDC rotation.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx for all the great comments and pics fellas.
Always fun to chat up the Manix XL.
Cant wait till we see Eric's flipper version!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I for one really like the XL. I've sold all of the G10 regular Manix's that I've gotten ahold of, but really like and have kept the XL (with deep carry clip). I prefer the blade shape and it really fits the hand well. In the ~4 inch blade, I still prefer the Millie, but my XL does hold its own and does get carried when I want a big knife. Great knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The EDC exclusive is the only one I have, I really regret not grabbing the S90V CF exclusive that dropped a couple years back and still keep a look out for one on the secondary at a decent price.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the blade design on this knife. I had one, but sold it because 1] my hand felt a bit cramped in the handle and 2] the lock never loosened up so it was always a two handed knife. Mostly it was because of the cramped way my hand felt. It is a nice knife, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Great knife:

Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Sun May 22, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I hope they do a S110V Manix Xl version.
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

Awesome.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Philo Beddoe wrote:I hope they do a S110V Manix Xl version.
There are lots of the S90V version around. It is almost impossible to tell any difference between S90V and S110V, and you can buy the S90V right now and be enjoying it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm hoping there's a lot of positive feedback from the 52100 Military, enough to maybe get some sprints in other models. I think this would be a great option.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:I'm hoping there's a lot of positive feedback from the 52100 Military, enough to maybe get some sprints in other models. I think this would be a great option.
David, I'd bet the farm that there will be many,many positive feedbacks from the 52100 Millie.
And I also hope for the same.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm hoping there's a lot of positive feedback from the 52100 Military, enough to maybe get some sprints in other models. I think this would be a great option.
David, I'd bet the farm that there will be many,many positive feedbacks from the 52100 Millie.

I would trade any knife I own for a 52100 Nilakka.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I would trade any knife I own for a 52100 Nilakka.
Man......a 52100 Nilakka, would be hard to imagine it would be so good lol.....good grief....
CascadianAaron

Post by CascadianAaron »

My main field knife, it gets used. No safe queen here

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

bdblue wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:I hope they do a S110V Manix Xl version.
There are lots of the S90V version around. It is almost impossible to tell any difference between S90V and S110V, and you can buy the S90V right now and be enjoying it.
Been using a KW's S90V Manix 2 XL since they got their first shipment in..got one from the first batch.

Here's my observations going back and forth and daily using S90V and S110V: S110V does have better corrosion resistance and a little bit better edge retention than S90V..not a lot of extra edge retention but a small amount.

I can definitely tell the additional corrosion resistance..the S90V blade has several stains on it but the S110V blade being used in the same environment for roughly the same amount of time is totally stain free.

2 more reasons for a S110V Manix XL..it gives the option of G10 instead of CF handles, and also the "Blurple" instead of Black. Didn't like the "Blurple" on the Para2 but really like it on the S110V Manix 2.