Orange CAMO Paramilitary2 - PICS ADDED TO FIRST POST.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderMule

Orange CAMO Paramilitary2 - PICS ADDED TO FIRST POST.

Post by SpyderMule »

I really appreciate all the input!

Was (at first) disappointed that the knife wasn't customized (by Spyderco) - but seller did toe-the-line in truth, insofar as being 'Custom' and all-Spyderco; and, at the end of the day - it's a very cool factory-fresh looking, pristine, quite smooth-deploying, Para2.

Not so sure all dye jobs come out this nice...

My collection to date consists of singular models in the rarest versions/colors - this might just have to-do for the Para2 - customized as such… (Updated collection pic coming).

Thanks again for all the input.
Sid

PS - pics are not enhanced - photos taken w/ iPhone6S in ambient interior lighting near door with upper window.

Thanks,
Sid
Last edited by SpyderMule on Fri May 20, 2016 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Orange CAMO Paramilitary2… (?)

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It looks to me like someone bought a regular camo para 2 and the RIT dyed it red. Claiming its "brand new" after it's been disassembled and dyed seems kinda shady but I don't think it's a fake.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

LC,

I appreciate your response - thank you.

Perhaps so - and in that way he could still claim 100% Spyderco.

But when I took it out of the bag I could tell it had never been handled since the factory. You know that look of a Spydie that has never changed hands...

I'm not home, but will shoot pics tomorrow.

Thanks again.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It certainly didn't come from the factory that way. It definitely did get handled since the factory. The item description even says it's part of a "Custom Collection". The only way to get it customized is to have it done after it leaves Spyderco. The customizer likely took very good care to keep it looking factory fresh.

I'm with LC on this one, it's a custom RIT dye job (either orange or red). I've seen a similar red/orange dye job done to a regular camo Para2.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

Thanks Kyle.

I'll contact seller for more info…

Sid
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah it would be very easy to own and handle a knife and have it appear as new to the next person.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

There are a lot of things that can be said about this that ARE true.

It is a genuine Spyderco, it is Camo, it is Orange, it does have a Factory Edge... it IS pretty rare.

There was never a knife that came out of the factory that looked like that and it has probably only had one (or two) thing(s) done to it.

Now... I'm not sure you NEED to take it apart to dye it. You could dip it in the dye from the blade and only the liners and a bit of the blade near the pivot would ever touch the dye.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

Thanks Brian.

Have to say - I'm thinking about keeping it...

The Amazon pics don't do it justice; and it is absolutely pristine. I never could and would never take the time to go to that trouble - or could get it to look as nice as it does if I tried myself.

I appreciate the comments - and would have to agree that it was dyed. What's weird is that the orange is light in places - and I'm wondering how the orange could looks as bright as it does over the already muted greys. One thing I noticed on the youtube vids is that you can't dye lighter, only darker...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The lightest parts are where there is no ink/dye pattern applied. That is that part that is the natural light and clear, greyish green G-10. It appears darker than it really is because of the thickness of the material, which is slightly opaque. The actual color is very faint, so it readily accepts bright and light dyes decently.

I like the color scheme of your Para. They should offer some orange digi-camo or blue digi-camo options from the factory, even if only in a sprint run.
-Kyle

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Donut wrote:I'm not sure you NEED to take it apart to dye it. You could dip it in the dye from the blade and only the liners and a bit of the blade near the pivot would ever touch the dye.
You can boil the entire S30V PM2 and it won't hurt anything. There isn't enough heat to affect the heat treatment and it doesn't seem to cause any corrosion problems anywhere. But I don't know how you would get the orange to be that bright.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Was this a "Southwest Customs" knife? I see a blue digicamo one on Amazon and the prices he's charging are insane.

Southwest Customs digiblue Para 2 $359

or

Do it yourself: digicamo Para 2 $135 + $4 royal blue RIT dye + 20 minutes of your time = $139.
______________________________________________________________________________________

He also has a custom titanium handle Para 2 for only $550.

or

Assemble it yourself: Para 2 $135 + $115 Allen Putman Ti scales (or Ripps Garage Tech Ti scales $149-199) + 20 minutes of your time = $250 ($284-$334 with RGT scales)

or

If Blade Headquarters gets them back into stock: $202, already assembled. Hey, bhq.com is even using the same exact picture that the person on Amazon is using, though I suspect it's Southwest Customs that is actually using BHQ's picture.
-Kyle

swigert

Post by swigert »

jabba359 wrote:Was this a "Southwest Customs" knife? I see a blue digicamo one on Amazon and the prices he's charging are insane.

Southwest Customs digiblue Para 2 $359

or

Do it yourself: digicamo Para 2 $135 + $4 royal blue RIT dye + 20 minutes of your time = $139.
______________________________________________________________________________________

He also has a custom titanium handle Para 2 for only $550.

or

Assemble it yourself: Para 2 $135 + $115 Allen Putman Ti scales (or Ripps Garage Tech Ti scales $149-199) + 20 minutes of your time = $250 ($284-$334 with RGT scales)

or

If Blade Headquarters gets them back into stock: $202, already assembled. Hey, bhq.com is even using the same exact picture that the person on Amazon is using, though I suspect it's Southwest Customs that is actually using BHQ's picture.
This.
SpyderMule

Re: Orange CAMO Paramilitary2 - PICS ADDED TO FIRST POST.

Post by SpyderMule »

I really appreciate all the input!

Was (at first) disappointed that the knife wasn't customized (by Spyderco) - but seller did toe-the-line in truth, insofar as being 'Custom' and all-Spyderco; and, at the end of the day - it's a very cool factory-fresh looking, pristine, quite smooth-deploying, Para2.

Not so sure all dye jobs come out this nice...

My collection to date consists of singular models in the rarest versions/colors - this might just have to-do for the Para2 - customized as such… (Updated collection pic coming).

Thanks again for all the input.
Sid

PS - pics are not enhanced - photos taken w/ iPhone6S in ambient interior lighting near door with upper window.

Thanks,
Sid
swigert

Post by swigert »

Looks cool. Glad you ended up happy.
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

swigert wrote:Looks cool. Glad you ended up happy.
I appreciate your checking the seller on Amazon, and your responses!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SydM you have a great looking knife. That should be a pattern Spyderco offers as a Sprint Run and 204P steel. Hint, hint ;)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

Doc Dan wrote:SydM you have a great looking knife. That should be a pattern Spyderco offers as a Sprint Run and 204P steel. Hint, hint ;)
Thanks Doc…

Must add - was pleasantly surprised that our fellow Spydie experts were respectful after I originally posted the question about the provenance of the knife; and no one condemned me for buying a 'customized' Spydie - even though I didn't originally understand that it wasn't 'customized' by Spyderco…

I'm also a guitar guy - and Custom Shop guitars are prevalent and are actually customized by Gibson and Fender themselves, as was my assumption on this Para2.

My bad for assuming same - but love the look of the knife too much to return it, even after arguably overpaying…

Thanks again.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I will admit, there is an art to getting a dye job just right and this guy nailed it. That is a great looking orange digi pattern that would take a bit of trial and error to replicate. What matters the most is that you got a cool knife and are happy. I'm sure many people would look at some stuff I buy and say I overpaid, but as long as it makes me happy that's what matters. Enjoy your knife! :)
-Kyle

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

All of the digicam models vary, depending on where the scales got cut from the sheet of G10. If you had the ability to pick through a lot of different ones you could pick the on with the highest percentage of light color and it would take the dye better. I still don't understand how the orange got to be that bright, my red one is fairly dark.