At which price range are the majority of your knife purchases?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

At which price point are the majority of your knife purchases?

$1 to $9
1%
$10 to $29
1%
$30 to $59
3%
$60 to $99
13%
$100 to $299
76%
$300 to $599
3%
$600+
3%

Total votes: 98

Mikael Andersson

Re: At which price range are the majority of your knife purchases?

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:I made up this list as to what knives to expect at each price range... I love doing this stuff and please tell me if you find that something isn't right about this.

This list is for pocket folders with 2'' to 4'' blades.

$1 to $9 - Crappy Quality and Low Quality knives

$10 to $29 - Low Quality and Lower Medium Quality knives

$30 to $59 - Medium Quality knives

$60 to $99 - Upper Medium Quality knives

$100 to $299 - High Quality Production knives

$300 to $599 - Premium Production and Mid-Tech knives

$600+ - Mid-Tech and Custom knives
I think that's a pretty subjective list and will depend a lot on what a person thinks "quality" is. Personally I think my $15 Opinel is an amazing knife for the price and is a quality knife for $15. By comparison I would take an Opinel over just about any generic flea market knife at any price. Your breakdown would lump the Opinel in the low quality group, but I don't think that's a fair assessment of the knife. Then your $30-$59 bracket being medium quality, that's where my Ladybug/Manbug/Dragonfly live, and I surely would consider those knives to be well above medium quality. /snip
The type of steel that the blade is made of also has a great deal to do with quality and on the Opinel the blade steel isn't that great but it's not terrible either so I would class it as a lower medium quality knife.

The Dragonfly is actually both medium quality and upper medium quality depending on the blade steel and what material the side scales are made of.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sat May 21, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikael Andersson

RamZar wrote:I picked $100-$299 and my average is in the $200-$249.99 range.

I think most would choose $100-$149.99.

I think the following ranges from $100 would work better:

$100-$149.99
$150-199.99
$200-$249.99
$250+
I think that the present ranges works very well and all .99 prices should be rounded up because that one cent is really nothing.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I don't think RamZar necessarily believes that we need to factor prices to the cent, but that your current $100-299 range covers too large of a spectrum to give us very deep insight into what people pay for knives. Someone who buys a ton of $100 knives may not be in the market at all for a $250-299 knife. I know most of mine fall around the $100-149 range, with some in the $150-$200 range and very few above that. While I answered $100-299, more accurately I'm toward the lower end of that range.
Last edited by jabba359 on Sat May 21, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

jabba359 wrote:I don't think RamZar necessarily believes that we need to factor prices to the cent, but that your current $100-299 range covers too large of a spectrum to give us very deep insight into what people pay for knives. Someone who buys a ton of $100 knives may not be in the market at all for a $250-299 knife. I know most of mine fall around the $100-149 range, with some in the $150-$200 range and very few above that. While I answered $100-299, more accurately I'm toward the lower end of that range.
Precisely on bold above.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

The results of this poll are meaningless for several reasons:

1. The $ intervals are arbitrary. When doing a poll, the intervals should be meaningful. For example one could have $30 intervals (1-30, 31-60, 61-90 etc.). Or one could have intervals which reflected the same number of different knives in that price range. That would require a lot of work but could be researched at sites like BHQ.

2. The interval $100-299 is way too large.

3. People probably saw the question differently. Majority usually means over 50%. With more than two intervals, you are looking at a plurality. I picked the point at which 1/2 of my knives were above the cost and 1/2 were below the cost. This is called the median. How about an average. I wonder how others actually answered the question?

I own a number of "cheep" knives like opinels, kershaws & rats as well as more expensive knives such as benchmades & spydercos. I also own a very expensive custom which was won in last years Knife Rights Ultimate Steel Challenge. Looking as my collection, I asked, how many and at what cost? So this poll motivated me to inventory my knives in an excel spread sheet. Thanks for that.

cheers
Bill Maier
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:I made up this list as to what knives to expect at each price range... I love doing this stuff and please tell me if you find that something isn't right about this.

I think that's a pretty subjective list and will depend a lot on what a person thinks "quality" is. Personally I think my $15 Opinel is an amazing knife for the price and is a quality knife for $15. By comparison I would take an Opinel over just about any generic flea market knife at any price. Your breakdown would lump the Opinel in the low quality group, but I don't think that's a fair assessment of the knife. Then your $30-$59 bracket being medium quality, that's where my Ladybug/Manbug/Dragonfly live, and I surely would consider those knives to be well above medium quality. /snip
The type of steel that the blade is made of also has a great deal to do with quality and on the Opinel the blade steel isn't that great but it's not terrible either so I would class it as a lower medium quality knife.

The Dragonfly is actually both medium quality and upper medium quality depending on the blade steel and what material the side scales are made of.
So humor me, what about a Opinel blade is low quality to you? Because it doesn't hold an edge forever? What if a person prefers a steel that is easier to sharpen and tough instead of crazy edge retention?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a question directly related to this poll. Has anyone here ever purchased a knife that would be classed in the more "Expensive and Higher Quality" category, but when you actually had that knife in hand, and then put it to use, it turned out to not be as good quality and good design and good steel as you had hoped, or, were you satisfied with what you got for the price?

Also, if you spent, say 200 dollars on a knife like the above, would you return it because you aren't completely satisfied, or, would you keep it and try to get used to it, as long as it had no major manufacturing flaws (ie like a large chip in the blade or handle)?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
RamZar wrote:I picked $100-$299 and my average is in the $200-$249.99 range.

I think most would choose $100-$149.99.

I think the following ranges from $100 would work better:

$100-$149.99
$150-199.99
$200-$249.99
$250+
I think that the present ranges works very well and all .99 prices should be rounded up because that one cent is really nothing.
Respectfully, I disagree on both counts, that is, ranges above $100 are not narrow enough and cents matter to be inclusive/exclusive of upper/lower thresholds.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I agree with David and find your list highly subjective. The Dfly in my pocket is a high quality, high performance knife in my opinion, frn scales and all.

The vast majority of my knives are sub $100 knives. I have good number that are in between $100 and $150, but that's about my price limit on knives. As prices creep well out of my budget these days and MAP eliminated deals more or less, I'm looking at more used knives. So far this year, my spydie purchases been the HapFly and 3 knives from the secondary market.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

These data will form a normal curve, slightly askew to the higher end...

I would think almost NO ONE is gonna have a MAJORITY of there knife purchases at either end of the scale
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

So humor me, what about a Opinel blade is low quality to you? Because it doesn't hold an edge forever? What if a person prefers a steel that is easier to sharpen and tough instead of crazy edge retention?
It's not low quality... it's lower medium quality... there's a difference and yes the blade steel is a part of a knifes quality.

Steel that doesn't have good edge retention are considered of a lower quality than steel that have better edge retention and that's just the way it is.
Mikael Andersson

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have a question directly related to this poll. Has anyone here ever purchased a knife that would be classed in the more "Expensive and Higher Quality" category, but when you actually had that knife in hand, and then put it to use, it turned out to not be as good quality and good design and good steel as you had hoped, or, were you satisfied with what you got for the price?

Also, if you spent, say 200 dollars on a knife like the above, would you return it because you aren't completely satisfied, or, would you keep it and try to get used to it, as long as it had no major manufacturing flaws (ie like a large chip in the blade or handle)?
There will always be knives that are priced way above what they are worth so in order to avoid buying a 'dog' read or watch knife reviews and not just a single review for the knife in question but many of them.
Mikael Andersson

jabba359 wrote:I don't think RamZar necessarily believes that we need to factor prices to the cent, but that your current $100-299 range covers too large of a spectrum to give us very deep insight into what people pay for knives. Someone who buys a ton of $100 knives may not be in the market at all for a $250-299 knife. I know most of mine fall around the $100-149 range, with some in the $150-$200 range and very few above that. While I answered $100-299, more accurately I'm toward the lower end of that range.
If you currently are buying $100-$149 knives you will at some point dip into knives in the $150-$200 range... it's just a matter of time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

It's not low quality... it's lower medium quality... there's a difference and yes the blade steel is a part of a knifes quality.

Steel that doesn't have good edge retention are considered of a lower quality than steel that have better edge retention and that's just the way it is.
You just can't accept the fact that not everyone grades the quality of steel the way you do. I guess every bushcraft knife out there is lower medium quality just because the steel doesn't have the best possible edge retention? Nevermind the fact that guys want their bushcraft knife to be tough as nails and be able to sharpen it on a rock. What's best for your use is not best in their use.
~David
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

You just can't accept the fact that not everyone grades the quality of steel the way you do. I guess every bushcraft knife out there is lower medium quality just because the steel doesn't have the best possible edge retention? Nevermind the fact that guys want their bushcraft knife to be tough as nails and be able to sharpen it on a rock. What's best for your use is not best in their use.
The only thing to do at this point is to agree to disagree. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mikael Andersson wrote: The only thing to do at this point is to agree to disagree. ;)

I guess you forgot..
Mikael Andersson wrote: I love doing this stuff and please tell me if you find that something isn't right about this.

You did ask for it. I guess you just wanted everyone to validate your opinion, but many seem to be telling you things that are wrong with your logic but you're just debating with them. It really makes no difference to me whether you understand or not. I'm just here to help.
~David
Mikael Andersson

Evil D wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote: The only thing to do at this point is to agree to disagree. ;)

I guess you forgot..
Mikael Andersson wrote: I love doing this stuff and please tell me if you find that something isn't right about this.

You did ask for it. I guess you just wanted everyone to validate your opinion, but many seem to be telling you things that are wrong with your logic but you're just debating with them. It really makes no difference to me whether you understand or not. I'm just here to help.
You told me and I disagreed with you so what compels you to keep beating on this dead horse?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I guess you forgot..

You told me and I disagreed with you so what compels you to keep beating on this dead horse?

You disagree with much of what you are told here. You are wrong every time....including this time. Have at it though.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I picked the 100-299 range but realize now I can't answer the poll honestly. I'm really all over the map on price. Just look at the pic. 3 above 150, a total of 8 right at the 100 threshold, and 2 below roughly.

Price is not a very good measure of "quality". Perceived "quality" is a very subjective quantity. The Caspian Salt, riding in my lunch bag is a very high quality and low maintenance tool in my opinion but only cost about 40 dollars 5 or so years ago. The D'fly salt on my keychain is a beast of a little cutter and is of equal "quality". Opinels are delightful and are of high quality to me also given the price. It seems to me "quality" is better defined as how materials are treated when creating the whole, and how well the whole lasts ;)

Blade materials are just a grab bag of what will work best for the application at a given price point. There are really no better or worse blade materials in general, each has their place.

Charlie
Attachments
desktop.jpg
Mikael Andersson

Surfingringo wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I guess you forgot..

You disagree with much of what you are told here. You are wrong every time....including this time. Have at it though.
What am I wrong about? That Chinese counterfeits sucks? That customer satisfaction is the most important thing? Please do tell me.