NYC Stabbing: Is that An Endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

NYC Stabbing: Is that An Endura?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I HATE to be the one to even make this thread and PLEASE do not get upset at me for posting this. As most of you know I am a very vocal advocate for the rights of knife owners and users and especially Spyderco knife lovers the world over.
But check this news article out and look at the picture: Is that a Spyderco Endura or am I imagining things? Over in New York City it appears this man went into a grocery store and he the customer became aggressive and violent and pulled out the knife.

It is tragic when anything like this happens and the reality is most stabbings are done with kitchen type knives and not sporting knives and especially not Spyderco knives. It just goes to show that any tool or material can be abused in the wrong hands. Supposedly the guy was drunk and violently belligerent.

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/new ... attan.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

" It was shortly after 8 a.m. when a man later identified by the police as Garry Conrad Jr., 46, of Upper Manhattan, entered the Food Emporium grocery store at 49th Street and Eighth Avenue. He was disheveled and agitated. He wanted to buy beer. But as he shopped, he threatened customers, officials said.

“He became aggressive and belligerent,” said James P. O’Neill, the chief of department for the New York Police Department. “He was swearing at the people in the store.”

As Mr. Conrad was going to pay, his confrontation with the cashier escalated.

“She asked to see some I.D.,” Robert K. Boyce, the chief of detectives, said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/nyreg ... .html?_r=0
SpyderEdgeForever

Engraving FRN Scales as a gift?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you wanted to gift someone a Spyderco knife with FRN scales and you wanted the blade untouched but wanted the FRN scales somehow engraved with initials or something on it, could that be done or should it not be done and if it is okay what is the best way to have it engraved? Laser? Cutting tool?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: NYC Stabbing: Is that An Endura?

Post by Doc Dan »

It is too bad he used a Spyderco. Now all the liberal media outlets will replace images of Buck 110s with Enduras in their obsessive glorification of the crazy and violent.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
remnar

Post by remnar »

**** tactical black knives. Don't people know those knives should only be in the hands of military personnel. (/sarc)

This is unfortunate for everyone involved and for Spyderco. It will be interesting to see if this rare occurrence will get any traction with the anti knife crowd.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

NYC of all places. You can't even say the word knife there. They're gonna love this one.
SouthernCross

Post by SouthernCross »

Doc Dan wrote:It is too bad he used a Spyderco. Now all the liberal media outlets will replace images of Buck 110s with Enduras in their obsessive glorification of the crazy and violent.
Ban all lethal weapons including pens, chopsticks, meat skewers, hammers, chisels, baseball bats, any piece of wood that can be swung, lamp stands, cars, nitrate based fertilizers and fossil fuels, the heal of a persons hand, plastic bags, pillows, rope, etc etc etc.

Yet the same "Oh my God it's a weapon" reports have no problem with nukes, bunker busters, cluster bombs, anti personal mines, cruse missiles, drones etc etc etc.

The big difference is whether or not the crazy & violent are state sanctioned. LOL

Mick :eek:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely looks like an Endura, but no way to tell if it's a real one or a cheap clone from a street vendor or NYC's Chinatown.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:If you wanted to gift someone a Spyderco knife with FRN scales and you wanted the blade untouched but wanted the FRN scales somehow engraved with initials or something on it, could that be done or should it not be done and if it is okay what is the best way to have it engraved? Laser? Cutting tool?
Like any nylon, FRN softens at a fairly low temperature. Even drilling into it with an electric drill or overly vigorous hand sanding can make it gummy enough to ball up. There's one member here who "engraved" his work knife with a soldering iron. I don't think I'll hurt his feeling by saying it was effective, but not attractive I suspect that the only way one could "engrave" FRN neatly would be using a hand graver. Not sure where you'd do that on most FRN Spydercos, they tend to have patterns and logos everywhere. Frankly, if I didn't want to engrave the blade I'd engrave the clip.

EDITED TO ADD: As shown by my Lone Wolf Glock Tool Endura below, having the blade spine laser engraved would be another possible option, at least on models that have a flat, relatively straight, and reasonably wide blade spine.
Last edited by The Deacon on Thu May 19, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Read somewhere that he was a stagehand, around here (Amsterdam, NL) all stagehands carry multitools in a country where hardly anyone carries any knife.
Although besides a multitool I would've preferred a SE Delica for that job (plenty tie-wraps and the like) I can imagine he would've carried and used a good pocket knife like a real Endura.
Shame for everyone involved whenever something like this happens. :(
jabba359

Re: Engraving FRN Scales as a gift?

Post by jabba359 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:If you wanted to gift someone a Spyderco knife with FRN scales and you wanted the blade untouched but wanted the FRN scales somehow engraved with initials or something on it, could that be done or should it not be done and if it is okay what is the best way to have it engraved? Laser? Cutting tool?
Best bet would be a new set of custom scales, something like BOOMER52 makes. He has all sorts of designs for the Endura/Delica line and could probably come up with something with initials milled into the handle.

Obviously, this isn't necessarily a cheap option.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Wonder were that 8" Endura came from. ;)
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

They must have measured the total length of the knife.
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

Hi from New York,

It's a shame that this happened. Ankerson is right to bring up the description of the "8-inch" knife in the press. Most readers will assume that this indicates the blade length. This stirs up the atmosphere of fear around folding knives here in NYC, where police interpret intentionally vague laws in the most draconian manner possible, and a visible pocket clip is considered "open carry."

I'm ambivalent about firearm issues, and generally enjoy centrist or left-leaning news media like the NY Times, but journalists intentionally frighten the public in much the same manner when they describe a firearm as "9mm" to an audience that isn't knowledgable about such manners. The description invokes fears of gangsterism and such, when in fact 9mm is 1) by far the most ubiquitous handgun round and 2) routinely the subject of debate for its effectiveness in "tactical" applications. The mere addition of detail, however unimportant, convinces the public of the journo's authority and of the weapon's especially fearsome qualities.

Meanwhile, we have a string of slashing attacks taking place in the streets and subways. People say it's gang initiations. I'd be willing to bet a fair sum that the kids involved are using kitchen knives and box cutters.

I'm off to work now, with my terrifying 3"--ahem, 7"--Sage 1 tucked deep, deep in my jacket pocket. Apologies for the ramble.
-Evan
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

On the kitchen knives and box cutters, I've spend about 15 years working as a bouncer in Amsterdam and must have searched 1000's of people along the way. I guess over 95% of the weapons we found were cheap small kitchen knives with cardboard/tape sheaths, box cutters and cheap screwdrivers sharpened on a pavement stone or something like that. I think that will indeed probably be similar all over the world.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Fact: You can stab someone with almost anything.

If they outlaws "likely weapons" box cutters, screw drivers, and kitchen knives would be sold with waiting periods. I would bet money that those things do more stabbing/slashing in a single year that expensive folders have done historically.

Edit: Just read the post above me.. Oops. Good guess, I guess. :o
Last edited by Blerv on Thu May 19, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT

Post by JT »

Joris Mo wrote:On the kitchen knives and box cutters, I've spend about 15 years working as a bouncer in Amsterdam and must have searched 1000's of people along the way. I guess over 95% of the weapons we found were cheap small kitchen knives with cardboard/tape sheaths, box cutters and cheap screwdrivers sharpened on a pavement stone or something like that. I think that will indeed probably be similar all over the world.
Cheap puukko's and mall-ninja type fantasy-knives, multitools, and cheap folders here. Mostly puukko's. Not that I've done that many searches, and I don't work as a bouncer, but occasionally I too have to make a body search at work.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Prog_knife,

welcome to our forum.

sal
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Ironically, the model looks like a Spyderco Police model.

It sort of makes me sad that a tragedy happened, and the first posts are all political... left, right, whatever, there is a lot more going on here than just thinking about ourselves and being worried that our favorite brand is featured or what the anti-knife people think. A man is dead, for whatever reason, and the officer who shot him is highly distraught. I choose to keep the officer and the family of the man who was killed in my thoughts.

Just my two cents, I'm sure a lot of people will not agree with me, and that is fine. We all view these types of things through different lenses.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:It sort of makes me sad that a tragedy happened, and the first posts are all political... left, right, whatever, there is a lot more going on here than just thinking about ourselves and being worried that our favorite brand is featured or what the anti-knife people think. A man is dead, for whatever reason, and the officer who shot him is highly distraught. I choose to keep the officer and the family of the man who was killed in my thoughts.

Just my two cents, I'm sure a lot of people will not agree with me, and that is fine. We all view these types of things through different lenses.

Thanks, definitely must agree.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

JT wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:On the kitchen knives and box cutters, I've spend about 15 years working as a bouncer in Amsterdam and must have searched 1000's of people along the way. I guess over 95% of the weapons we found were cheap small kitchen knives with cardboard/tape sheaths, box cutters and cheap screwdrivers sharpened on a pavement stone or something like that. I think that will indeed probably be similar all over the world.
Cheap puukko's and mall-ninja type fantasy-knives, multitools, and cheap folders here. Mostly puukko's. Not that I've done that many searches, and I don't work as a bouncer, but occasionally I too have to make a body search at work.
In Finland more knives are regularly around and available so that will of course show in whatever people will carry, here with hardly any outdoors people don't use knives much so screwdrivers and boxcutters are cheap and easily available, price and availability will be the main factor wherever you are.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Like the saying goes, the spoon doesn't make you fat and the knife doesn't make you stab someone. Banning knives is about as logical as banning spoons to fix obesity.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David