Thx Spyderco - First Mule Team

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
MadmanR1

Thx Spyderco - First Mule Team

Post by MadmanR1 »

I never would have attempted something crafty like this if it wasn't for Spyderco and the Mule Team project. After several decades with other manufacturers knives in my pockets I think this company does it right and I'm now a "fanboy". First Spyderco purchase was only 2-3 months ago and I've got over 20 now. Yikes.

On to the knife. I made a TON of mistakes. I'm still not exactly happy with it, but it's going to work just fine. Ordered Kydex today...that's the next project. Thanks guys, it's been a blast.

Purpleheart wood, finished in UV protecting poly, nickle silver pins, stainless lanyard tube, black liners.

Michael Janich

Re: Thx Spyderco - First Mule Team

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, MadmanR1:

Nice work!!! Thank you for sharing your photos and your enthusiasm for the Mule Team Project!!! Please follow up when you complete your sheath!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Great job MadmanR1! The purpleheart looks great. The problem I had after I did my first Mule handle was I enjoyed it so much I needed to buy more Mules so I could make more.
I do a lot of Kydex sheaths. If you have any questions along the way I'd be happy to help.
A couple little tips....
1. Masking tape on the blade to make it slightly thicker when you mold the kydex will help make the knife easier to insert and remove when it's finished.
2. Taping a small drill bit or similar to the end of the blade before you mold it will give you a drain hole to allow water to escape at the bottom of the sheath.
3. After you shape the profile of the sheath on a grinder or sander and remove the excess Kydex "fuzz" with a razor, you can get a surprisingly nice finish on the edge by rubbing it quickly and firmly on your jeans.

Here's the blade taped up with a drill bit to create a drain hole...

Here you can see the result gives me a hole that drains straight off the end of the blade.

After final shaping...

Best of luck to you! I look forward to seeing the finished result!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum Madman and thanks for sharing your pics :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very nice scale work, congratulations!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

also.....Before starting your first Kydex sheath I would suggest going to YouTube and check out Murray Carter's 10 minute video on Kydex sheath making. It's a very helpful instructional video.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Over the last week, I've spend some time making some Kydex sheaths for my Mules. Neither are as nice as Xplorer's (and those are great!), but both are quite functional. Fun project that I greatly enjoyed.

Here's a blog I referenced that was quite helpful.

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-s ... r-kitchen/

I should add that the OP's scales are gorgeous. The color is really great! Scales will be my next project (but need a new Mule to work on).
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Very nice work Madman, thanks for sharing with us.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Madman,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx for the interest and support, and nice job on the Mule.

sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Oh that looks great Madman! Very nice job, it looks quite comfortable.

Excellent tips by Xplorer. Kydex is pretty easy to work with and based on your craftsmanship skills displayed in that handle, a sheath should be a piece of cake for you. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."