My very own knife company

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

My very own knife company

Post by Mikael Andersson »

This is just my suggestion on a name... blade length and shape, type of steel and other things are up to Spyderco to decide, well here is my name suggestion... Sphinx.

The blade shape would be similar to that of the Spyderco Sprig but with an even more acute point.

Well... I think that S35VN would be a nice steel if it's not too expensive... the MSRP should be below the $200 mark.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Thu May 19, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LC Kid

Spyderco Sphinx

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mikael Andersson!

And welcome to the Spyderco Forums. :spyder:

Do you have an idea about the blade shape / intended use for the Sphinx? :)
sal

Re: My suggestion on a new knife name

Post by sal »

Hi Mikael,

Welcome to our forum.

I believe that name is being used in the knife industry by another company.

sal
Mikael Andersson

Re: My suggestion on a new knife name

Thank you Sal and that's too bad since it's a good name.

How about spelling it Sphynx... or maybe that's too silly?

Or Gryphon the legendary creature with the head, talons, and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.

Or Phenix (yes spellt like this so as to not being confused with the city by the same name) the long-lived bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Mon May 16, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mikael Andersson

Re: Spyderco Sphinx

LC Kid wrote:Hi Mikael Andersson!

And welcome to the Spyderco Forums. :spyder:

Do you have an idea about the blade shape / intended use for the Sphinx? :)
Hello LC Kid and thank you.

The blade shape would be similar to that of the Spyderco Sprig but with an even more acute point and it's intended use would be cutting open packages and cardboard and maybe cleaning fingernails. :p

And I would like for it to have titanium side scales with a frame lock since I find it intriguing what you can do with anodizing in order to create beautiful collectors models.

The blade length could be 3.15'' or 80mm and if it's successful there could be a smaller variant named Sphynx XS / Gryphon XS / Phenix XS with a blade length of 2.36'' or 60mm so that it would be legal to carry even in Chicago.

The smaller variant could have G-10 side scales and a liner lock instead of the titanium side scales of the larger model.

And the blade could be in 14C28N instead of S35VN if you want to keep the price down on the smaller model.

There could also be a larger model named Sphynx XL / Gryphon XL / Phenix XL with a blade length of 3.94'' or 100mm.
twinboysdad

Re: My suggestions on a new knife name

Post by twinboysdad »

Any particular models you want to name or are you just throwing out names you like?
Mikael Andersson

Re: My suggestions on a new knife name

It's pretty much all in the post above yours.
Mikael Andersson

Re: My suggestions on a new knife

Sucky idea for a knife?

C'mon Sal tell me something.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mikael,

Not sure what you would like me to say. If you have an idea for a knife for Spyderco and you would like to submit a design for consideration, I would suggest you contact Peter (peterj@spyderco.com). We do have a procedure for submissions.

The names Sphinx or Gryphon, are being used (regardless of spelling) and we try to respect our fellow knife companies use of their names.

Eric and I are working on about 100 designs at any given time. Both in-house and submissions from outside.

sal
Mikael Andersson

I will start my own knife company named American Eagle and the very first knife will be a 4.75'' fixed blade named Freedom and then one pocket folder named Phoenix.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

sal wrote:Hi Mikael,

Not sure what you would like me to say. If you have an idea for a knife for Spyderco and you would like to submit a design for consideration, I would suggest you contact Peter (peterj@spyderco.com). We do have a procedure for submissions.

The names Sphinx or Gryphon, are being used (regardless of spelling) and we try to respect our fellow knife companies use of their names.

Eric and I are working on about 100 designs at any given time. Both in-house and submissions from outside.

sal

Hi Sal,
First post. I've sent my a suggestion by email.

Perhaps the Chaparral is not one of your more popular models, but a Lightweight version like the Manix 2 LW would be great. That would probably bring the weight down pretty close to my early 90's L91 (1.75oz) full serrated Delica w/ integrated plastic clip which I still EDC.

The wire clip on the Chaparral is a definite plus, as I can't use the too aggressive steel clip 75% of the time.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Roger-Roger, welcome to the forum. The Chap is absolutely one of their more popular models and a FRN prototype was shown at the Oregon knife show a month ago. Looks like it was a good idea!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

roger-roger wrote:
Hi Sal,

Perhaps the Chaparral is not one of your more popular models, but a Lightweight version like the Manix 2 LW would be great. That would probably bring the weight down pretty close to my early 90's L91 (1.75oz) full serrated Delica w/ integrated plastic clip which I still EDC.

The wire clip on the Chaparral is a definite plus, as I can't use the too aggressive steel clip 75% of the time.
There has been talk of an frn Chaparral. Sal is still working on a new pattern for the texturing is last we heard. As far as making it as light as the ManixLW or Native5LW I don't think that is gonna happen. One of the things that makes the Chap great in my opinion is the terrific lockup on it. That lockup is the result of an internal stop pin which requires a pair of liners. I don't think that they will make it without liners so it won't really weight less than the current CF version. That said, frn is incredibly durable and I would be interested in buying one made in frn.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Mikael Andersson wrote:I will start my own knife company named American Eagle and the very first knife will be a 4.75'' fixed blade named Freedom and then one pocket folder named Phoenix.
Hi Mikael,

The name, "American Eagle" has been used for many years. I've not investigated, but I believe the name, "Freedom" has been used, and the name, Phoenix" was used by Spyderco on a design.

I seem to remember that you are in Europe, Swiss or Swede comes to mind?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Roger-Roger,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
roger-roger wrote:
Hi Sal,

There has been talk of an frn Chaparral. Sal is still working on a new pattern for the texturing is last we heard. As far as making it as light as the ManixLW or Native5LW I don't think that is gonna happen. One of the things that makes the Chap great in my opinion is the terrific lockup on it. That lockup is the result of an internal stop pin which requires a pair of liners. I don't think that they will make it without liners so it won't really weight less than the current CF version. That said, frn is incredibly durable and I would be interested in buying one made in frn.
I'd love for them to release a full CF version with the barest minimum of liner(shorter length, heavily skeletonized, etc) or even no liners, if they can make it work. But I'd love to see an FRN version as well. It would slot in nicely between the Dragonfly and the Delica in terms of size, if they can also keep the cost down a little.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard roger-roger. :)

A FRN Chap would be excellent indeed. I would love to see this happen! I wonder if I dare to dream for a possible Salt Chap? Ah, that would be very nice too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

SpyderNut wrote:Welcome aboard roger-roger. :)

A FRN Chap would be excellent indeed. I would love to see this happen! I wonder if I dare to dream for a possible Salt Chap? Ah, that would be very nice too.

I wouldn't complain.

Mikael Andersson

sal wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:I will start my own knife company named American Eagle and the very first knife will be a 4.75'' fixed blade named Freedom and then one pocket folder named Phoenix.
Hi Mikael,

The name, "American Eagle" has been used for many years. I've not investigated, but I believe the name, "Freedom" has been used, and the name, Phoenix" was used by Spyderco on a design.

I seem to remember that you are in Europe, Swiss or Swede comes to mind?

sal
Many Swedes throughout history have become very successful inventors and/or business owners in America.