Mantra love ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Mantra love ?

Post by elena86 »

It's been awhile now since this one was released and it seems to me that Mantra is not mentioned so often on this forum after the initial enthusiasm.Are there any Mantra huge fans out there ? Would you say that the initial enthusiasm faded and Mantra is not as popular as many anticipated ? I am quite intrigued since for me, Mantra was a game changer.
Surfingringo

Re: Mantra love ?

Post by Surfingringo »

I have noticed this too and have been pretty shocked by the lack of posts we see about the Mantra. I thought from the first time I saw it that it looked like an amazing design. Then I actually had the chance to handle one and was even more convinced. The Mantra feels a lot like a ti Delica flipper with a fully functional spyderhole. Whats not to like??
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I carry mine daily. It makes for a really nice user. I guess I don't talk about it much because it's become a reliable tool that I use without thinking about much. I guess that goes to show how great it is?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mantra2 in pocket today.., It's a frequent office carry for me, and I never thought it would displace the Chaparral so often as they are very different, but it is much better at lunch time and disappears in my pocket.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I have both. Both are great. Not flashy just really solid in amazing steel
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I carry the Mantra 2 quite often and it's been my faithful business travel companion all this week. It's an excellent design and so slim in the pocket. I had to sharpen it before leaving last week because the factory edge wasn't up to snuff. It also makes a sweet partner for my Casey Lynch Lil' Matriarch.

A nice balancing act here (none are leaning on the fence!):

In my hotel room this week:

I do like the Mantra 1 but not until I took the flipper tab off (Mantra 2 is on bottom):

:D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Whitetail addict wrote:I was about to order one, but I heard the scales scratch up really easy, os there any truth to that statment?
If the finish is anything like the Sage2 it should be extremely durable. Looking forward to that being answered as well :).

I know my CR knives scratch up but not my Sage2.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I really like mine, I've been switching back and forth between that and the positron as back ups for the PM2 for the past few months, no problems at all very smooth. I think some people got scared off by the bearing races developing grooves and feeling notchy...no issues here.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Regularly alternate carrying the Mantra 1 & 2, love em both. Super smooth action on both after a lil break in period, love the ergos. I slightly prefer the Mantra1 blade shape and functional spydie hole, but the Mantra2 carries even slimmer.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Carried my Mantra right up until my blurple Para2 arrived... It will be back in my pocket, as soon as I get a feel for S110V.
A Mantra 2 will be in the stable soon, as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I will eventually get a Mantra 2 and then everyone will get sick of hearing about it and seeing me post about it. I just have a couple in queue before it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I still don't have one but after handling them both, I think i'll end up going for the one. I like the slimness of the 2 but I'm not really keen on giving up a functional spyderhole.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If they came in SE I'd be thinking hard about it. Now that I think about it... Is there a flipper with SpyderEdge? I don't think so.

Flippers aren't my favorite opening type but when done well they're nice.

Btw everydaycommentary.com had a nice review of the Mantra 1 recently. Great review blog if you don't already follow it.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I really like my Mantra 2 as well, mainly for the way it disappears in pocket but still fills the hand well and is very usable. I guess I agree with LC in that it's a very elegant design that I don't actively think about too much because it just works.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Whitetail addict wrote:I was about to order one, but I heard the scales scratch up really easy, os there any truth to that statment?

I "scratched" the **** out of mine...

...and I love it. It has become my most carried knife.

glbpro

Post by glbpro »

elena86 wrote:It's been awhile now since this one was released and it seems to me that Mantra is not mentioned so often on this forum after the initial enthusiasm.Are there any Mantra huge fans out there ? Would you say that the initial enthusiasm faded and Mantra is not as popular as many anticipated ? I am quite intrigued since for me, Mantra was a game changer.
The Mantra is my current EDC and I'm really enjoying it. I suspect that the 'lack of enthusiasm' has something to do with the fact that it is so similar to the Delica - even Eric himself has described it as 'a flipping Delica.' As a result there is not all that much to discuss - everyone knows and loves the Delica but is also so familiar with it that there is not much left to say.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

remnar wrote:

I "scratched" the **** out of mine...

...and I love it. It has become my most carried knife.

You're killing me man ! It's gorgeous ! Did you do it yourself ?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I just got a Mantra 1 yesterday. I maaaay not be able to carry one of my other knives for a while.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I carry mine with my keys up beside it in my pocket, I was surprised that it still has no noticeable marks on it. I did the same with my sebenza and it looked like **** after one day! Luckily a few more days and some other use and the sebenza looks great with fairly uniform snail trails and light scratching, adds character.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My Mantra is a fantastic, lightweight edc. I carry it a lot. It came smooth and has gotten even smoother. The only thing I didn't like so much was the clip, I switched it for a shorter dragonfly clip and it's perfect for me. This should be a huge hit, it tix all the fad boxes, M4 super steel, titanium frame lock, flipper, bearings,( I kinda wish it was on washers). Not sure why it's not getting more attention, my guess is a combo of the competition, and the issues some are reporting.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?