Urban Camouflage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Northglenn500

Urban Camouflage

Post by Northglenn500 »

I've been thinking about this for a while. With many large cities getting stricter on knives ( NY, Chicago, etc..), I was thinking about the benefits of knives that utilize urban camouflage. To me, the two best examples of this are the Khar Arms Delica in denim blue and the Techno. They both blend in almost perfectly with jeans, aiding in their 'hide in plain sight' style of camouflage. The Techno, with it's stone washed wire clip is about as low profile as it gets, and is my favorite knife to carry when I don't want anyone to notice I'm carrying one.

I'm hoping that just like the 'Blurple', Burnt Orange and other special handle colors we've seen, Spyderco might consider a line of 'Urban Camo' handles, with the blue denim or stonewashed Ti color and stone washed wire clips. I think this would work on a variety of knives, but especially knives like the Urban, Squeak and UKPK. I think it could also expand into the Native and Paramilitary / Military sized knives as well.

This could also work with a bronze type anodization / khaki color handle as well. What do you think?
SG89

Re: Urban Camouflage

Post by SG89 »

Neat idea. I really like the sound of the bronze/khaki combo
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Yep great idea. I'd buy one
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I've recently been matching my knives to what I'm wearing just for the heck of it, and the dark blue Manix LW blends in well with jeans. I also often wear tan or brown Carhartts fairly often, and they go well with my brown Native. I've just been doing it for fun, but there's definitely something to be said about coloring handles and clips to be less conspicuous not only to avoid drawing attention, but even just to have a cleaner look. And this is coming from someone who has worn brown shoes with a black suit more than once. :o
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love the idea. My favorite is the blue jean color. It they could hard coat a clip in that color (or others, like khaki), that would be cool. I don't care who sees my knives. I use and carry responsibly and respectfully, but there are big cities where I kind of care.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

PayneTrain wrote: And this is coming from someone who has worn brown shoes with a black suit more than once. :o
Your wife let you go out like that? I was stopped dead in my tracks once for attempting to go out with a green shirt and green pants. :D
- best wishes, Jazz.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Some blue Rit Dye can get you there:

I agree the Techno and Bowie blend very well with jeans, and have added wire clips to a few knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think some urban digi camo would be right on target.

Abbazaba, I like the way that turned out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Doc Dan wrote:I think some urban digi camo would be right on target.

Abbazaba, I like the way that turned out.

Thank you! I used the Royal Blue (as suggested by others), but they have a Denim and Navy Blue that might be more subdued and blend with clothes better.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Jazz wrote: Your wife let you go out like that? I was stopped dead in my tracks once for attempting to go out with a green shirt and green pants. :D
Actually, maybe we've found the real reason I'm not taken yet, which presents a paradox since I have no one to supervise these choices in the first place! The dog isn't any help, she's happy as long as I'm wearing a half a pound of her fur. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's my all-too-conspicuous knives I carry! Another thing to consider is clip size. I appreciate a small deep carry clip which I don't see much of with Spyderco. My favorite clips in my collection in this regard are found on other companies' knives: the Lionsteel SR2 and the CRKT D.O.G. which seems little known, but has probably logged more hours in my pockets over the years than the rest of my collection combined due to a fantastic combination of features I enjoy, including a tiny and very deep clip. Arguably my most invisible knife, despite its size and metallic color. Even the Dragonfly makes more of an appearance and has a larger clip.

And just to make sure, we are talking inconspicuousness here correct? Not just a camo pattern? That's how I read the OP, and after this long winded post I really hope I'm not missing the mark here.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I almost always wear black trousers and the Sage 1 with its black wire clip blends in perfectly.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

The bright screws on my Delica stand out even when the clip and handle color are relatively discrete.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I actually love the shiny clips. The S110V Native looks awesome, and ironically it's beautiful blue jean blue. I also like a bit - not a ton - of knife sticking out to grab on to, but there certainly are times and places for discreet. If I lived in a bigger city or with tougher laws, I'd think differently.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

"And just to make sure, we are talking inconspicuousness here correct? Not just a camo pattern? That's how I read the OP, and after this long winded post I really hope I'm not missing the mark here."

I probably should have used a different word other than camouflage. That usually brings up an image of digital/jungle camo patterns for most people. I'm thinking more of a chameleon, where the knife blends in with the persons outfit. Much like a Sage with a black wire clip disappears in the pocket of black dress pants. I really like the idea of a denim blue colored clip. Frn knives would probably be the easiest to color denim and khaki.

Denim blue Native 5 with a stonewashed wire clip or denim blue anodized clip?