Question for Sal and Spyderco .

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Question for Sal and Spyderco .

Post by Bloke »

Many thanks Surfingringo and Sal,

I'm sure I'll like it here. I've only recently bought a SuperBlue Manbug and HAP40 Delica and I'm duly impressed. I've shied away from folders and particularly Spyderco's because I thought they were all fugly and had chinky plastic handles, well that was till I bought a little Manbug! Now I'm in love and want more. I think it invaluable that the average person can buy the variety of exotic blade materials at an affordable price on so many tried and proven platforms as is on offer by Spyderco. I'm sorry I didn't cotton on earlier!

I've ordered a ZPD Stretch and can't wait to give it a whirl. I'm a bit of an edge junkie and I'm not hard on knifes. I wouldn't cut cardboard with the knife I use on game and visa versa, but I'm glad people do and post their findings! I'm sure I'll find both the ZDP-189 and the Stretch interesting if nothing else. To the good people at Spyderco; many thanks for the knives!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

anagarika wrote:Jazz,

So a wharnie stretch rather than wharnie delica?

Wharnie Delica.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tap78 wrote:I did once a comparison of a different blade shape for stretch...Thats my prototypes created in photoshop...original photo credited to GARY (http://www.garysdigitalphotography.com)

Oh my....I want them all!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:The Stretch is an evolutionary development that began with the "hunter' model (CO3 circa 1983). It has gone through a number of refinements over the years and is still in that process. As Lance mentioned, processing game is the major advantage. We have been told by a few avid hunters that the Stretch is the best knife they've ever used for processing game. Other advantages from my point of view; easier to change direction in the middle of a cut with the narrower blade, easier to locate a finger on the spine for closer control, less weight, legal where the blade length limit has been lowered to 3.5", a little more of a handful when in use. The new lite weight Stretch will have the same changes on the current G-10 model which was made as a test bed before changing the molds.

sal

Hi Sal,

Thank you for the explanation. It now makes sense. Perhaps more edgucation to buyers to overcome the look factor? :confused:
Chris :spyder:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz wrote:
anagarika wrote:Jazz,

So a wharnie stretch rather than wharnie delica?

Wharnie Delica.
Allright, :cool:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

In regard to the Stretch my view, albeit that of an outsider and someone from a different culture perhaps, that being, we in Australia are forbidden from carrying any cutting implement.

I stumbled across the Stretch because I want a robust and nimble folder to use exclusively on game. I was drawn to the Stretch specifically because of the blade shape. I looked at numerous offerings from many manufacturers. It was the Stretch blade that caught my eye and research reveals it has a loyal following. I've only read glowing reports and Surfingringo's endorsement seems typical.

I may be a little ambitious here but I'm hoping I can do away with a fixed blade and steel and replace them with a premium folder I can fish out of my pocket. I'm hopeful that the ZDP Stretch will fit that bill.

I'd like to see a smaller version of the Stretch with similar yet narrower blade made specifically for the small game hunter to disjoint rabbits and mask foxes and the like.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I love my ZDP Stretch. I did the Graley mod to mine (removed the hump) and love it even more. I don't hunt, so don't find a need for the hump for skinning game, and almost never place a finger on the forward spine for detail work, though that seems like a legitimate use case. Unlike Gary, I left the tip a hair thicker like on the Delica 4. The spine curves until the last 1/8", then drops to the edge. I wasn't ready to go "full-on Dyad."

I prefer its improved ability to pierce and turn in a cut, and also prefer the aesthetics. All that said, the original shape with the hump is rather unique in Spyderco's line, and I'd be sad to see it go away. Sal's "fugly" designs are a big part of what makes Spyderco my favorite knife company. The philosophy of function over appearance has a beauty all its own.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A question for Sal,
I personally, don't know anyone here in Australia how owns Spyderco apart from the clearance divers at work. I work on a Naval Base. They use a serrated "rescue" model as standard issue I believe.

I paid $AU104, for a SuperBlue Manbug, $AU179 for a HAP40 Delica and the ZDP Stretch on order was $AU160. The average Delica retails around $AU130. My mates think I'm mad! Now, I didn't go without to buy these knive and I'll buy more, but they are expensive! Yes, yes, it's the exchange rate on our dollar and we can't change that. However, I think we perhaps we can do something about shipping costs. For example Deadwood Knives ship a knife for $US7.98. I've bought several knives from them! Great service! Unfortunately they don't stock Spyderco. Everyone else wants around $US30 minimum for the same service. This certainly takes the edge off the deal.

I s'pose the question I'm asking is; can Spyderco or someone help us out. I would buy many more knives than I do if only I could get a fair and honest shipping rate!
sal

Post by sal »

H Bloke,

The distributor for Spyderco in Oz is Zen. They have been with us longer than any other distributor. They brought the line to Oz and have promoted and maintained inventory for almost 30 years. Michael has been "fighting" with customs for years and managed to get the customs dept to begin to allow Spyderco sales again. A great deal of time and effort for him. They do everything legally (duties, shipping, etc) which does add to the cost. My apologies.

There are quite a few visitors here from Australia. Some like Reject, are both here and on the Australian knife forum (of which I am also a member). I think he knows more about Spyderco than I do. You might considering joining that forum as well. Lotsa smart folks there.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

anagarika wrote:
sal wrote:The Stretch is an evolutionary development that began with the "hunter' model (CO3 circa 1983). It has gone through a number of refinements over the years and is still in that process. As Lance mentioned, processing game is the major advantage. We have been told by a few avid hunters that the Stretch is the best knife they've ever used for processing game. Other advantages from my point of view; easier to change direction in the middle of a cut with the narrower blade, easier to locate a finger on the spine for closer control, less weight, legal where the blade length limit has been lowered to 3.5", a little more of a handful when in use. The new lite weight Stretch will have the same changes on the current G-10 model which was made as a test bed before changing the molds.

sal

Hi Sal,

Thank you for the explanation. It now makes sense. Perhaps more edgucation to buyers to overcome the look factor? :confused:
Hi Anagarika,

I usually say "too much eye, not enough brain" ;)

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Thanks Sal,

I'm aware of Zen. I bought my Delica from them indirectly of course because they don't sell to the public. It's a duel edge sword. Zen sell to retail distributors having paid there taxes etc., the retailer marks up the price to make it profitable for him and the consumer bleeds! It's actually considerably cheaper in most cases to buy from the US.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
Hi Anagarika,

I usually say "too much eye, not enough brain" ;)

sal
Well, I'm also like that ;).
I can't explain, but when going out the day before I grabbed the Stretch rather than the Endura ... Still like the Endura but Stretch is growing on me ... Especially the FRN mold, it feels so nice in hand.

I'm not a big person, but for my hand, amongst the 3 (Endura, Stretch, Delica), Stretch handle fits best.

I also remember that the other most comfortable handle is GB1. The handle contour, undefined, shallow choil and their blades do make them look like siblings:).
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:Thanks Sal,

I'm aware of Zen. I bought my Delica from them indirectly of course because they don't sell to the public. It's a duel edge sword. Zen sell to retail distributors having paid there taxes etc., the retailer marks up the price to make it profitable for him and the consumer bleeds! It's actually considerably cheaper in most cases to buy from the US.
Hi Bloke : pretty much the same issues as in the UK and the rest of Europe. I have no doubt at all that Spyderco & Sal do the best for the end user and that includes maintaining their supply chain with integrity, but prices are undoubtedly salty.
Sal's efforts in creating quite awesome knives for very specific jurisdictions and more recent unique and superb forum knives, whilst not easing the wallet-ache, certainly reinforces the fact that we are engaging with something quite special.
sal

Post by sal »

Bloke wrote:Thanks Sal,

Hi Bloke,

We do understand. It's an issue we've been dealing with for more than 25 years. At this time, I don't know the answer. We give our export distributors the best prices of all. we can't lower our own prices any more and be successful. Shipping costs are high and always growing. Duties and local taxes are likewise an issue. When people order from dealers in the states, they are generally avoiding taxes and duties. Not an issue on which I can comment.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove and Sal,

It's madness! Zen Imports have the Stretch HAP40 on their web site. I know this is a Sprint Run and believed it has finished. Anyhow, I rang about availability and was told they are waiting for the shipment, possibly August and RRP "around" $AU400! You may imagine my response?

When I take into account that Sal quotes: "We give our export distributors the best prices of all". I'm left to wonder and it simply strengthen my resolve to not deal with any of these kooks.
Zen Imports and so many others here in Oz effectively kill sales. Simple things like Spyderco knives, which seem so reasonably priced and consequently so popular in the US, cross the Atlantic Ocean and are transformed into exotic unreasonably priced luxury items, most people either can't afford or refuse to pay the ridiculously inflated price asked. So, they'll go to the local Tackle/Gun/Department Store and buy the latest You Beauty, Lobster Brand Chinesey combination fishing, hunting, survival knife with 19 detachable blades, first aid kit, flash light and GPS in the handle for $AU19.99. When it looses it's edge a few swipes on our coastal sandstone or inland granite will bring it back to near factory edge. The Chinese laugh and release the 24 blade version with a fishing rod in the handle!

We hamstring our own economies, bolster the Chinese and path the road to our own demise!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Bloke, random question...do you surf? :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

400 $au for the HAP40 Stretch? - that's 60% more than even the UK retail price. Ouch. I know the exchange rate is poor for you at the moment, but even so....
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I live in Australia .
I recently purchased a Delica from an online knife seller from the USA , it was delivered to my door for a total of $87.00 Australian dollars .
I was in my local shop the other day , the same knife was $138.50 .
I really like supporting local businesses , but if I happily accepted that price difference all I'd be doing is robbing myself to feed rouges .

Ken
prog_knife

Post by prog_knife »

Greetings from Brooklyn, NY. Just wanted to weigh in on the aesthetic issue. My girlfriend thinks my British Racing Green Stretch is the most beautiful member of my inchoate knife collection, over my Sage 1 and BM 940. She ought to know, she has a fancy BFA degree.

As for me, I think the Stretch's odd curves (and great ergonomics) reflect the time that has gone into refining it. It reminds me of a bird's wing or part of a tropical plant, something that has evolved gradually to thrive in its own particular role. Really elegant.

Keep doing your own thing, Sal!
-Evan
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Bloke, random question...do you surf? :)
Surfingringo,

Not now my friend. I've been a water baby all my life but developed a phobia of sharks. I live under a mile from the ocean and try to swim about 1 km most fine days till the water temperature drops. I swim and snorkel in a bay that has a reef at its narrow entrance as a natural barrier to sharks.