Rags to Riches Knife Choice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Rags to Riches Knife Choice

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:I would probably get a Delica if it were rags (or a Meadowlark Ti if I were completely destitute). If I were rich I would probably commission a small run of Native 5 Ti , 3.5" blade with a mid back lock and some unique steel.
Actually, that's probably the best answer in the thread! If money were truly no object, I'd likely commission a run of whatever I wanted that day. Maybe a Cruwear pm2 with contoured ti scales and integral compression lock? I might do another run of the same knife in lc200n. It would kind of suck to drop a fancy ti knife in the ocean, but who cares...I'm rich right?? :p
BTG

Post by BTG »

Surfingringo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I would probably get a Delica if it were rags (or a Meadowlark Ti if I were completely destitute). If I were rich I would probably commission a small run of Native 5 Ti , 3.5" blade with a mid back lock and some unique steel.
Actually, that's probably the best answer in the thread! If money were truly no object, I'd likely commission a run of whatever I wanted that day. Maybe a Cruwear pm2 with contoured ti scales and integral compression lock? I might do another run of the same knife in lc200n. It would kind of suck to drop a fancy ti knife in the ocean, but who cares...I'm rich right?? :p
You guys got it right for sure ...I especially like the Ti N5..cruwear ? That would be incredible...but I'm too **** impatient for my own good, I have a hard time waiting for the Mailman,....Now if I was rich enough to bribe Sal and crew to slide it up to the front of the production line, I might be able to hang.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Rags - None. Being broke sucks and I wouldn't be looking to spend anything on a pocket knife.

Riches - 52100 Military
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

Rags: byrd Crow 2
Riches: Nirvana
"I can stop at any time."
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

BTG wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
You guys got it right for sure ...I especially like the Ti N5..cruwear ? That would be incredible...but I'm too **** impatient for my own good, I have a hard time waiting for the Mailman,....Now if I was rich enough to bribe Sal and crew to slide it up to the front of the production line, I might be able to hang.
This is even better; Commission an new knife and "bribe Sal and crew to slide it up to the front of the production line"!! You guys are awesome!!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I try to count my blessings daily. At this time, I am very fortunate to be able to purchase any knife I want (not because I am "rich," but mostly because we don't have kids). Regardless, if I had to choose a "rags" model, I'd probably choose a Ladybug. For "riches," I'd likely choose something like the 25th Anniversary Delica.

If money were no object, I'd likely also commission a new run of the C50 Centofante II in three or four different steel types and/or the same exact thing with the original Starmate.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

If "rags" I'd probably try to find a deal on a blue or Orange Delica 4 on the aftermarket.

If "riches" I'd just commission a "Roger Exclusive" run of Dark Green and K390 Military's :D I'd keep a few and give the rest away.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

rags: Native5 LW
riches : 40 Anniversary Native custom regrind to remove 40 + ordered custom desert Ironwood display box with "40 Anniversary" olive wood inlay.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Rags: I'd go with a PE FRN Byrd Meadowlark 2. I can live with the odd shaped opener and it ticks all the other boxes I consider important since it has a midlock, a 50/50 choil, and a reasonably thin FFG blade.

Riches: Sad to say, Spyderco's current "high end" models do absolutely nothing for me. I'd probably wind up going with a PE VG-10 FRN Stretch and upgrade it with "Anso textured" wood scales. If I really wanted to go hog wild, I'd find someone to replace the blade with Odin's Eye Damasteel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sully

Post by Sully »

Rags:
As much as I'd hate to do it, I'd look to actually sell my humble collection of very carefully-chosen Spydies.... but not here on the forum! (Keeping my Byrd Hawkbill!)

Riches:
Helloooo Sal, will ya agree to greenlight 500 Golden-made, Wolfspyder-Green, <3.5" blade, dedicated LHs if I agree to fund the entire Run and donate 498 to an auction for The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp?
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Rags: I dunno, Tenacious SE?

Riches: private sprint run? Please. I'd do my own collaboration that is exactly my perfect knife. And it would be limited to 100 pieces, making it instantly collectible.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Keeping this to *existing* knives...

if I was pressed for cash and needed a good knife for everyday use I'd save my pennies and go for a UKPK, for me it hits a sweet spot for size vs. cost and the ergos are spot on for my hand.

As far as "high end" Spyderco offerings, the Native 5 with fluted Titanium scales is my favorite of all the over $250 list models.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

K05 and WTC because there are some things money just can't buy.
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Rags: endura
Riches: gold plated endura?
Super riches: Alfred cuts what I tell him too with the spyderco of my choosing.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jmotley wrote:Rags: endura
Riches: gold plated endura?
Super riches: Alfred cuts what I tell him too with the spyderco of my choosing.
Buahahaha!! :p
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Rags: If I didn't already have any, it'd be a Dragonfly 2. If it were right now, Ladybug or Manbug in HAP40.
Riches: Mantra, Slysz Bowie, all the Sages.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

rags: pingo FRN

riches: commission a sprint run of all of spyderco's lockback knives in frame, compression, or linerlock versions. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh I've actually been in that situation before but for now this would be my current order of progression. But I want to include fixed blade and folder both.

Rags Folder & Fixed blade: Pacific Salt & Aqua Salt

Riches Folder & Fixed blade: The K2 along with the Southfork
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Rags: Delica Riches: Nirvana or Southard.