Favorite Big Spyder Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Favorite Big Spyder Folder?

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco most certainly has given us a huge selection of different folder models to choose from. I just got to thinking yesterday that Spyderco is truly about the only company that gives us a vast selection of larger, full sized folders. And I mean blades close to or exceeding 4 inches in length. One of the very first big Spyderco folders I ever had was the C-54 big Calypso model and to this day I rate it very high on my all time top 10. I personally prefer the larger folders because I feel I can do so much more with them and they are so versatile that you can also use them in the kitchen and outdoor jobs as well.

But when you consider the vast selection of full sized folders like the Military, JD Smith, POLICE, ENDURA and Lum Tanto you most certainly have an elite bunch to pick from. Right now my two favorites running neck and neck are my M390 Military and my hallowed C-60 G-10 Ayoob model. So what is your favorite large Spyderco folder and why? I will say any folder with a blade 3.5 inches or longer will qualify and I would say the Hawkbills and specialty type blades could also be included. Also list PE, CE or SE preferences.
paladin

Re: Favorite Big Spyder Folder?

Post by paladin »

Military hat trick <go Nashville Predators! :D > in Cruwear, Bohler m390, and SE cpm440v....

Can't wait to see a StopLock Millie! :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Endura
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Military, for sure. I do however love my Police and Endura models. Even consider the full size Manix, Chinook and ATR to be "big folders".
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JD Spydo wrote:Spyderco most certainly has given us a huge selection of different folder models to choose from. I just got to thinking yesterday that Spyderco is truly about the only company that gives us a vast selection of larger, full sized folders. And I mean blades close to or exceeding 4 inches in length.
I like your enthusiasm but I have to disagree. Plenty of other companies (cold steel comes to mind) offer extremely large folders. Spyderco just does it the best ;)

Currently in really enjoying the mamba. It's the biggest flipper I've ever owned.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Thu May 05, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

52100 Military.

*mike drop*

:D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Gayle Bradley 2
PM1

Post by PM1 »

My HAP40 Endura has kicked everything else out of my pocket for a while now. It is awesome.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

My Endura was always great. Regret selling it to a friend. The 440v millie was great while I had it for sure. Favorite large folder of mine though, was the Manix XL. It was a custom, so the grind was funky, but the plain Jane or DLC manix2 XL is just an awesome knife IMO. Never failed me.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

the PM2 A little big knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Military for use
Mamba for looks and finish
K2 for ... don't know, i just love it!
ZesT

Post by ZesT »

Love the Manix 2 XL
"I can stop at any time."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For EDC these are C83 Original Persian and Caly3.5. This is how big I will go. Everything bigger is huge in my book.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Military is about as big as I go, maybe the Ulize or Resilience.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Judging by the pure quantity I guess the original C55 must be my favorite big Spyder.
Both a user in plain and in halfserrated and two more for the collection. :cool:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Military, for sure. I do however love my Police and Endura models. Even consider the full size Manix, Chinook and ATR to be "big folders".
As time goes on it appears to me that the C-36 Military model is truly the quintesscential Spyderco big boy :cool: Now I do myself have others I personally like a bit more in some respects but the numbers don't lie. I'm also kind of surprised that the Endura is making such a good showing as well.

But I'm a bit disappointed that the bigger Calypso models aren't yet getting much fanfare. It's also interesting that the ULIZE model got an honorable mention.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Ulize is an amazing knife. It's one that must be handled and used to appreciate. It handles like a small folding kukri.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:52100 Military.

*mike drop*

:D
Did someone get a prototype? :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BTG

Post by BTG »

When I think big folder I think Tatanka, I don't carry it too much but for big spydie folders iits in a league of its own..However ....probably the only Spydie folder I personally find too big to EDC....still love it though.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

The K2 Farid. This is one of the more interesting large knives I have ever owned, due to the fact it carries very well due to its design. Pull it out and you have one of the best slicers ever.