Bentoboxshop info?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ranchboy

Bentoboxshop info?!

Post by ranchboy »

Hi Spydie heads

So somebody must know who's behind the bentobox store online?

I've tried searching and everything, can't find much. But they have no phone number, address Etc.

I did a search on their return shipping address, and it's a UPS store that they ship from in Arcadia Ca.

Why so secretive?!

Please somebody has got to know!

Thanks
aka spyderboy
timlara

Re: Bentoboxshop info?!

Post by timlara »

Why do you ask? Just curious?

If you are wondering if they are OK to buy from, I can definitely vouch that they are an authorized dealer and have top-notch service. They have always shipped my orders immediately and accurately. Their prices are pretty high compared to most dealers, but short of scoring a deal on a forum or ebay, they are a reputable source to get hard-to-find models.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

They are expensive but 100% legit. I find the best and only way to get a hold of them is via email. They've always responded within a few hours to any of my questions.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yup, I agree with what LC said...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

The folks at Bento Box Shop have always treated me first rate, answer my emails promptly, and have given me great service. I have no problems with the prices they choose to charge because if I want something not easily available elsewhere to me it's worth a little extra, and I know I can count on being treated right. I really don't need to know any more about them other than that, it being their business how much they want to give out as far as information. Actually I am pretty much that way myself.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

High prices, good service, genuine products.

They have a right to privacy if they want it, especially with people flaming around the internet about pricing structures.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TomAiello wrote:High prices, good service, genuine products.

They have a right to privacy if they want it, especially with people flaming around the internet about pricing structures.
All true. But, at the same time, potential customers have a right to be skeptical about an online merchant whose website shows no physical address, no phone number, and a yahoo email address.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Why not want to know? Now I want to know.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Anonymity is the name of the internet. I bet half the dealers have UPS store boxes listed instead of their physical entity.

IMHO, if a place has a good reputation go ahead and order. Worst case you are out a couple hundred bucks until you turn it over to Paypal, the BBB, and the powers to be. If you were going to the place for surgery or to buy a car...I would be a bit more concerned.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Anonymity is the name of the internet. I bet half the dealers have UPS store boxes listed instead of their physical entity.

IMHO, if a place has a good reputation go ahead and order. Worst case you are out a couple hundred bucks until you turn it over to Paypal, the BBB, and the powers to be. If you were going to the place for surgery or to buy a car...I would be a bit more concerned.
That's your right. And if I choose not to do business with a company that I can't even contact by phone to see if "Item X" is actually in stock before sending payment, that's mine.

Mind you, I'm not questioning BBS's legitimacy, I'm just saying that "when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and makes noises like a duck" you can't blame folks for at least wondering if it might be a duck.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:
Blerv wrote:Anonymity is the name of the internet. I bet half the dealers have UPS store boxes listed instead of their physical entity.

That's your right. And if I choose not to do business with a company that I can't even contact by phone to see if "Item X" is actually in stock before sending payment, that's mine.

Mind you, I'm not questioning BBS's legitimacy, I'm just saying that "when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and makes noises like a duck" you can't blame folks for at least wondering if it might be a duck.

Hi Paul,

I hear and agree with your stance. :)

There are enough places to buy a knife out there that it's silly for people to bother themselves with less than professional outfits. Then again, if BBS has a knife that nobody else does, I'll peronally "take a gamble".

My daily work is nothing but risk rating and loss mitigation so that last post was just an assessment. My guess is most shops, even BBS, have a 99%+ satisfaction record if you remove the people who didn't get a tracking number promptly or were upset about the pricing. Probably 100% satisfaction if you are counting payment without goods received with those same qualifiers. I'll toss the dice all day long with those odds and speak to Spyderco for any W&R problems.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I bought a knife from them previously, didn't have any issues. I didn't communicate with them at all, so not sure how they'd handle a mistake/problem.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:All true. But, at the same time, potential customers have a right to be skeptical about an online merchant whose website shows no physical address, no phone number, anda yahoo email address.
Abso-freakin-lutely. Any business too lazy to get their own email address while doing internet business has to raise an eyebrow at this point.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I bought a knife from them. It shipped fast and I have been happy with it. They have high prices and charge shipping but they have commissioned a few exclusives of which I have two. While I was not thankful for the price I am very satisfied with the PE Lil Matriarch and Elmax Para2 and am glad they commissioned them. They don't get a lot of love usually but I would not hesitate to buy from them again if they had a knife I just had to have.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

I honestly have no idea, but I have a feeling BBS is kind of a "hobby" or side business of the owner. Some of their stock lasts quite a while, so it doesn't seem like they're doing crazy shipping volume. On the off chance that they're just running it out of their basement or something like that, I could see why they wouldn't want to publish their home address.

Anyway, I'm happy they're around to fill the niche that they fill. They've offered some of my favorite exclusives and it's nice to know that if I decide to pay a premium for a discontinued model I really want, I can buy it from them with confidence about what I'm getting. I actually have done just that a number of times when I didn't feel like rolling the dice on eBay. (Also -- many eBay sellers actually charge way higher prices than BBS for the same items, FWIW!)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

They've gotta have some capital, I'm sure it isn't cheap to commission an exclusive run and they've done a few.

I've purchased a few pieces from them and they are pricey but have been glad to find it there when everyone else was sold out.

Another similar site is country knives and they are way expensive but where else are you going to find a BNIB sprint JD Smith or sprint Lum Tanto.

I guess it really comes down to how bad you want a discontinued piece and the risk your willing to take to get it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I learned that Spyderco requires their dealers to have a physical store to be one. BBS' has always been a mystery and I've asked about it before and it got nowhere.

I noticed how OP didn't ask for member's experience with BBS but a good number of posts gave detailed carefully written overly positive reviews anyway :D

Seems like he just wants to know the location... should be one if Spyderco's dealer policy is still in effect.

Back to the kumbayas :)
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

The "all sales are final" thing always rubbed me the wrong way a bit.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Ive brought 1 knife from them, I got the Bento Box Shop exclusive Domino and I love the thing. It was less than $10 more than the standard Domino so not overly expensive. The shipping was very expensive and I didnt get an email for shipping conformation so I was a bit worried. But 7 or 8 days later my knife arrived down here at the other end of the world. Very happy with the outcome and I'm sure I will be wanting a knife that isnt anywhere else and I will do it again.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

I had a problem in a shipment, my fault and they sorted correctly. Good people! Especially for special knives
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo