Your favorite spyderco that you believe is perfect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: CQC Spyderco/Slysz!

Post by SpyderNut »

paladin wrote:
LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

I've always thought that the 'Perfect' knife for me is still yet to come. :)
I'll go one step further...
The perfect Spyderco is the one that's in my mailbox on any given day... ;)

aside from that, the first knife I reach for the past 15 years is my C52 Calypso Jr.
+1. I heartily agree. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PayneTrain

Re: Your favorite spyderco that you believe is perfect

Post by PayneTrain »

These are two just insane criteria. Favorite AND perfect?! I can't name one for either! They're all the best in some way, I just can't bring myself to call any one better than the others. BUT for the sake of the thread, I'll look at it another way. If I had to enter into a committed monogamous relationship with just one for the rest of my life, to have and to hold, and to cut stuff, it would be my Cruwear Military. Wait, no, a Paramilitary. Green. No, orange. Wait! Blue! WAIT! WHICH BLUE?! AAAGH!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PayneTrain wrote:These are two just insane criteria. Favorite AND perfect?! I can't name one for either! They're all the best in some way, I just can't bring myself to call any one better than the others. BUT for the sake of the thread, I'll look at it another way. If I had to enter into a committed monogamous relationship with just one for the rest of my life, to have and to hold, and to cut stuff, it would be my Cruwear Military. Wait, no, a Paramilitary. Green. No, orange. Wait! Blue! WAIT! WHICH BLUE?! AAAGH!
Haha! I feel your pain Payne!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

After almost 5 years and 15 knives I still have not find a perfect knife. Every design have something I would like to change.There are a few that come close. For example PM 2- thinner blade, longer edge, there is at least 5mm space left. GB2- 110V blade, liner lock cut out. Military- shorter handle, thinner blade. I can do this all day.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Surfingringo wrote:Luckily, none of them are perfect. If there was a perfect one, I would have to stop trying new ones. ;)
this! :D

I'm really happy with my southard, though. I did some cleaning/tuning/lubing on it recently and it now clicks open and shut like a luxury car door. :spyder:
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the C-60 Ayoob being my favorite folder design and the TEMPERANCE 1 model being my favorite fixed blade of Spyderco's I still have certain models I also gravitate to. Many of Spyderco's "IN HOUSE" designs are overlooked. The entire lineup of the Calypso series has something to fill just about anyone's knife needs. Not to mention Spyderco's icon knives like the Police, Endura, Delica and RESCUE models most certainly are a lot of people's perfect blades because they just don't quit selling them no matter how long they've been in the main line up.

If you going to consider the sales charts as any indication of what is most used by the end line consumer then you can't overlook Spyderco's "IN HOUSE" designs. Something to consider IMO.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:I'd contour the scales (or rather bulge them out a bit) on every knife I own. Nothing extreme, just about as much as the D'Allara. I don't mind the added thickness because it's nothing extreme but the improvement in hand is well worth it.
+1
I am with David on this, probably except original Persian, which is already has enough thickness and nice big radii on edges.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
millwright

Post by millwright »

Hands down mine is the foliage green G10 endura 4.
I carry one every day on the job and I wish I could go back in time and buy 10 of them.
kataphraktos

Post by kataphraktos »

My ZDP-189 Caly 3.5 was my first Spyderco, the one that got me hooked and still gets the most pocket time of any knife I own.

But the HAP40 Dragonfly2 I got recently is the only knife I own that I wouldn't change in any way at all, and can't imagine any other knife replacing. Can't think of a anything closer to "perfect" than this design.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Endura for EDC. Been carrying them since they came out.

Why the Endura ? It does what I need in a pocket knife, and fits my hand perfectly. A lot of other large knives don't share pocket space as well.

Military and Manix 2 XL for work knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Pacific Salt and Endura Foliage Green.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Another vote for the Chaparral. I have an even dozen spydies and two of them are chaparrals so there must be something right about them.

I rotate between the chap, mantra, ti/dam delica and dice, in that order of preference. Since I carry and deploy left that leaves some models off the list right off the bat.
Last edited by ronT2 on Sat May 07, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Image
beautiful picture. thank you for sharing.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I think the Delica comes close to perfection. I really like the plain old saber grind. It has a great blade shape. VG10 is awesome. Perfect size. The handle works well. It's nice and light and easy in the pocket. I have 'better' knives (Sage 1/3, PM2s, Manix LW etc) but I love the Delicas.
My index finger presses right on the handle ridge holding the Endura. For some reason, the ridge on Delica handle doesn't bother me. It's much less pronounced and my index finger is a little further away from ridge.
David (Evil D) hit the nail on the head.. All or most of my knives would be better with a little handle swell or a bit more width.
Kind of a boring choice but a great knife. I'll change my mind tomorrow or an hour from now.
caitbwebs

Post by caitbwebs »

Urban, hands down. Probably too small for a lot of people but I think it's just great.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Not sure if there is a single "perfect" Spyderco but many are near perfect for their intended use. I love the Caly 3.5 for edc, and the Sprig as a fixed blade. When around saltwater, the se Pacific Salt. Would like to see if a Mantra 2 XL w/washers in S110V or RWL34 would be the perfect folder?
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

Perfect? No Spyderco is perfect. Had I the skill, I might be abe to make the perfect EDC knife for myself, but it would not, likely, be perfect for anyone else.

Having said that, the Spyderco Gunting is quite close to the perfect folder for me. The handle shape and size are the best I have found, for my left and right hands. (My hands are not identical.) The lock is very well-done, and well-situated so accidental unlocking will not occur. The ramp, which allows "kinetic" opening*, is certainly a nice option, and an important part of designer Bram Frank's intended technique for using the Gunting, but if it had no ramp, the Spyder Hole would be sufficient for me to consider the Gunting my perfect folder.

A serious issue with daily carry of the Gunting is that the ramp makes the Gunting optimized as a sheath-carried knife. The sheath can be worn on the belt, on a shoulder rig, or, if thoughtfully-crafted, and worn with suitable clothing, inside a pocket. Alternatively, a clothing pocket could be modified to accomodate the Gunting, in such a way as to prevent unintended opening. So, the Gunting is not the perfect pocket knife, for carry in a broad range of pockets. My uniform does not accomodate a sheath very well, so the Guntings have not been EDC candidates for my duty hours since a chief ordered all knives to be totally concealed. (Robert Humelbaugh made the Gunting sheath I used, on my duty belt, before it was forbidden.)

So, what Spyderco do I actually carry, daily? An Assist. The Assist, however, has a blunt-tipped blade, and some of life's events call for a pointed knife. That pointed tip may well be provided by one of the several Victorinox Swiss Army Knives I have.

I must give honorable mention to the Ronin and Temperance fixed-blade knives. When I no longer have to wear a uniform at work, due to retirement, or change of assignment, a fixed-blade knife may become my true, and favored, all-day EDC.

I should add the disclaimer that I have not seen or handled all Spyderco models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RexGig0 wrote:Perfect? No Spyderco is perfect. Had I the skill, I might be abe to make the perfect EDC knife for myself, but it would not, likely, be perfect for anyone else.

Having said that, the Spyderco Gunting is quite close to the perfect folder for me. The handle shape and size are the best I have found, for my left and right hands. (My hands are not identical.) The lock is very well-done, and well-situated so accidental unlocking will not occur. The ramp, which allows "kinetic" opening*, is certainly a nice option, and an important part of designer Bram Frank's intended technique for using the Gunting, but if it had no ramp, the Spyder Hole would be sufficient for me to consider the Gunting my perfect folder.

I must give honorable mention to the Ronin and Temperance fixed-blade knives. When I no longer have to wear a uniform at work, due to retirement, or change of assignment, a fixed-blade knife may become my true, and favored, all-day EDC.
The GUNTING??!! Are you serious??!! :eek: And I'll start out by saying that I personally love the GUNTING and have owned 5 of them overall but at no time did I ever consider the GUNTING an ideal EDC type blade, nor did I ever carry one as an ideal EDC folder. To me the GUNTING would have been the last folding knife I would have expected to be mentioned on this thread. I say all of that because mainly I consider the GUNTING to be a highly specialized, purpose driven model designed for very specified uses.

Now I have in the pasted gone on record saying that the GUNTING would make a great Sprint Run>> but do keep in mind that it is a highly specialized self defense blade designed by Bram Frank solely for use in his specialized self defense training.

The RONIN and the TEMPERNANCE 1 models I 100% agree with you there. But seriously could you expound more on why you deem the GUNTING to be an idealic EDC type blade :confused: ?? And I mean all of this in a friendly way I can assure you :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine changes all the time. Nothing's perfect. I do, however, have a lot of Delicas and Enduras. Must be a good reason.
- best wishes, Jazz.