Your favorite spyderco that you believe is perfect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

Re: Your favorite spyderco that you believe is perfect

Post by cckw »

I have never found the perfect folding knife in any brand. If I could take my favorite things from about 4 different knives then I would. What I have found is that the more knives I get the more I get disappointed that the perfect knife for me has not been made. I do have some fixed blades that I am very happy with
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It depends on where I am.

At home (no restrictions) I tend to EDC a Manix 2 LW s110v and a ladybug salt HB SE.

In more restrictive jurisdictions it depends on the specific local laws, but I like:

Chaparral (although the Caly 3 in ZDP is growing on me for this role)
Dragonfly 2 ZDP
Pingo

In that order for more and more restrictions, depending on which is allowable in that place.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

cckw wrote:If I could take my favorite things from about 4 different knives then I would.
What are your favorite things? And from which knives?

I'm sure that manufactures would love to hear your list.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In the Spyderco folder category there is one model that stands out to me>> the ergonomics, blade angle, convex belly and the handle design of the C-60 Massad Ayoob model is about as close to perfect as any Spyderco model I've ever owned. If they ever do a Sprint with one of the supersteels it will probably become my semi-permanent EDC.

Now in the Spyderco fixed blade category I have to give my vote/support to the original FB-05 TEMPERANCE 1 model. The blade length is truly perfect for what I mostly use it for and the handle fits me as though it was "tailor made" for me, myself. I use that TEMP 1 so much and I can't see any fixed blade taking it's place anytime soon.

As far as overall general usage there is one that I also love and that's the C-36 MILITARy. You just can't go wrong with either folder IMO.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

It is a tough call to make for sure but I would have to say either my Gayle Bradley 2 or My Sage 1. I know this is blasphemy but my PM2 gets less carry than any other Spyderco I own..
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

I'm going to have to agree with Sharp Guy. The Native 5 G10 is my all time favorite Spyderco. It does everything I want and more, has a very strong lock, and the ergonomics are perfect in my eyes. Tied for second would be the Manix2 g10 and the sage2 depending on your flavor. I'm not as obsessed with the PM2 as a lot of people are, although I own quite a few of those as well.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Chaparral, so far.

As a modern version of the "gentleman's folder," it's a definite upgrade in every way. Even knife weight to blade length ratio is amazing. Fits my hand well. Thin blade has so many daily uses. Doesn't take over my pocket. Clip is ideal for it. As a lefty, the back lock has become my trusted friend, and even Sal's mark on the opposite side of the blade helps it be less of a constant reminder that it's not the presentation side (almost an LH).... just trying for perfect here. :) Maybe "perfect" is not too far off now.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't find perfect Spydie yet, but few of my favorites are pretty close. 2013 Forum Native is closest. I wish it would have low riding wireclip and contoured scales.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Having handled more than my fair share of Spydies, few models capture more of the spirit of the company in my eyes than the Kopa and the Caly. You can't deny the Kopa's are definitely prettier! :). They are even more amazing to actually use (not like I'd use this one though! ;))

Without of doubts Kopa and Calys are great knives. I carry 3.5 almost every day. Kopa Cocobolo started my Spyderco addiction and was carried for several years. Both Caly and Kopa have fantastic ergos. It was my watch pocket knife. The clip killed this habbit. I do not carry a knife in watch pocket anymore. Waiting for Rhino.
Clipless Kopa with 2mm blade stock and no dent would be a dream knife. Need to wait when grandson will became a grandfather.
How do you carry your Kopas?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Lol. It actually may be far easier to simply ask the question as to why we exist (as humans). ;)
All joking aside, there are very few knives that are inherently perfect to me. With each knife I buy or make, I usually make a mental list of things I would change. However, I have two Spyderco models in mind that are as about as perfect as I could ever want (in terms of ergos, blade-to-handle ratio, blade steel, materials, quality of construction, etc., etc.). Those two models are:

1. The Original Starmate (CPM-440V) in 60/40 CE;
2. The Centofante II (C50) in full SE
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Michael my Friend, the question as to why we exist is so easy I am totally surprised you missed it.
We "exist" to perpetually support Spyderco and the Spyderco Crew by acquiring product, and lots of it.
But you knew that all along......... :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would probably change something on all of my Spydies. I would make the Caly3 and Para2 from thinner stock and I would make the Delica4 without the rounded blade tip. With those changes they would be near perfection for me.

I would put contoured scales on many of my Spydies as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would probably change something on all of my Spydies. I would make the Caly3 and Para2 from thinner stock and I would make the Delica4 without the rounded blade tip. With those changes they would be near perfection for me.

I would put contoured scales on many of my Spydies as well.
I've always thought the pm2 with contoured ti (or possibly fluted cf) would be a really amazing knife. Sometimes I find the pm2 a little bit "boxy" in pocket.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

El Gato wrote:Michael my Friend, the question as to why we exist is so easy I am totally surprised you missed it.
We "exist" to perpetually support Spyderco and the Spyderco Crew by acquiring product, and lots of it.
But you knew that all along......... :D
Ah, that is my mistake. ;) You are quite right, of course. My Spyderco-addiction-induced Dementia has adversely affected my short-term memory. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
LC Kid

CQC Spyderco/Slysz!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I've always thought that the 'Perfect' knife for me is still yet to come. :)

Even though, among my current Spydies I can say that my perfect one should be some CQC between the Slysz Bowie and the Techno. :D
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I have 5 Spyderco knives, and I love all of them. The only one(s) that I wouldn't change would be the Dragonfly 2.
Chaparral: Full CF, no-liner handles. I know it's the way it is for cost, but I can dream.
Delica: It's as good as it'll get, for the most part, but it's an outdated design. I wouldn't change it, per se, but I don't think it's "perfect".
Techno: It's pretty close, but I would probably change the backspacer to standoffs. I also might trim the blade thickness down a little bit, but keep it pretty stout.

I'm getting a Mantra next week, and it looks to be as close to perfect as I want out of a Spyderco. There's nothing I'd change on it, so far. I'll have to use it for a bit to be sure.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Perfect?
Not sure about the perfect one.
The Slysz bowie is pretty darn close to perfect for most of my criteria.
I would love to see a Paramilitary built with a Titanium handle. Might be getting close to perfect.
The Military has some very desirable attributes.

It is a tough question as perfect is subjective and some knives that are less than perfect are my favorites, like the old Lil Temperance.

I also feel the Bradley Bowie is pretty close to perfect for a fixed blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd contour the scales (or rather bulge them out a bit) on every knife I own. Nothing extreme, just about as much as the D'Allara. I don't mind the added thickness because it's nothing extreme but the improvement in hand is well worth it. Unfortunately it's not something that's easily modded on knives with nested liners.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I haven't found perfection yet, but so far the Caly 3.5 comes the closest for me.
paladin

Re: CQC Spyderco/Slysz!

Post by paladin »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

I've always thought that the 'Perfect' knife for me is still yet to come. :)
I'll go one step further...

The perfect Spyderco is the one that's in my mailbox on any given day... ;)

aside from that, the first knife I reach for the past 15 years is my C52 Calypso Jr.