OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:
clovisc wrote:The goldenrod color is very unique and interesting -- something you don't see much in design outside of the 1970s. I like it! I'm also a big fan of the "burnt orange" color of the HAP40 Spydies. In fact, that may be my favorite FRN color thus far. (Although I really liked the mid-blue of the Meerkat sprint!!!)

That is a nice blue shade. I would hope, if it was HAP40, that it would still be the thickness of the proto. I hear those are quite thin, like the Super Blues. I like a tad more strength than that for a working knife. The proto still slices great.
Amen
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Okay, so it's sharpened up slicker than boogers on a baseball. About 15° per side. We'll see how it zips around tomorrow. It's grocery day again, and my "Monday". Lots to do. I'll keep you posted.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Another vote for the Goldenrod color. Perfect!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, it slices better with a sharper, thinner edge. Zips through the boxes. Today I'll cut a lot of banding as well. I have to add that this blade shape gets in under can labels nicely to cut them off for recycling.

Anyone have any suggestions for testing or questions?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:
IMHO, this picture is the best illustration of what this design is all about. At least for my uses.
camporama

Post by camporama »

Jazz, how would a para 2 wharrencliffe do for your needs. I find that the larger choil allows me to more comfortably use the pinch grip.
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Can u also comment on how it compares to the cento 4 in use and what u might've found lacking in cento 4 for your specific tasks?
harronek

Post by harronek »

In your opinion Jazz does it need jimping and would a rounded edge on the spine of the blade ( for example CRK Seb , or the tip section of the Kahrs spine ) make it more comfortable to use for example in the grip that Surfingringo quoted ?

Ken
ManekUEMF

Post by ManekUEMF »

I can't wait to see the pictures (my work's browser blocks 95% of all the pics on this forum :/ )!!
Last edited by ManekUEMF on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Can't wait to hear about today's testing
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:
Jazz wrote:
IMHO, this picture is the best illustration of what this design is all about. At least for my uses.
And it does it excellently.
camporama wrote:Jazz, how would a para 2 wharrencliffe do for your needs. I find that the larger choil allows me to more comfortably use the pinch grip.
I don't like the bit larger blade length, plus the ricasso area on the Delica (this knife) is big enough that it acts like a choil. I've not cut myself this way yet.
bpahk wrote:Can u also comment on how it compares to the cento 4 in use and what u might've found lacking in cento 4 for your specific tasks?
It's a more slippery handle, not quite as hand friendly, and there is no large kicker area (ricasso) to act a bit like a choil. I like this better than a choil. For me, choils get hung up when working. I don't know why. Cento 4 is nice, but not as tough as the proto feels.
harronek wrote:In your opinion Jazz does it need jimping and would a rounded edge on the spine of the blade ( for example CRK Seb , or the tip section of the Kahrs spine ) make it more comfortable to use for example in the grip that Surfingringo quoted ?

Ken
It has thumb jimping, which is good. I don't think spine jimping would be of any use. Also, it's square, but not rough at all. It would just add extra cost. Easy to do yourself, I might add.
twinboysdad wrote:Can't wait to hear about today's testing
I cut banding lickety split, the usual cardboard... Did I mention the blade on this circles the inside of jars, etc. to remove safety seals quite nicely? I also whittled wood because that's what I do. Very nice. It would be a great EDC as well as work knife. I don't know what more too say or add. Great apple cutter upper. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Something about this blade shape just makes you want to cut stuff. Just my feeling when I open it up. Look out boxes.

Sal, can I share some info on Bladeforums and/or make a short YouTube vid so people can better visualize the blade? If not, I'll just take a few more in hand - working etc. pics.
- best wishes, Jazz.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Thanks for the reviews. This is one that will find a home with me once it is full production or a sprint. Any steel any colour.
sal

Post by sal »

Jazz wrote:Something about this blade shape just makes you want to cut stuff. Just my feeling when I open it up. Look out boxes.

Sal, can I share some info on Bladeforums and/or make a short YouTube vid so people can better visualize the blade? If not, I'll just take a few more in hand - working etc. pics.
No Problem Jazz,

We're a relatively free forum.

sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Wow, this thread REALLLY went somewhere! Have not checked it in long time, but love where it went. Sal - when can the rest of us buy one :)
Love the D4 handle, love wharncliffes, love the blade shape here with enough tip to be useful as a tip (I do a lot of drilling with a knife tip in wood and plastic) but still plenty of thickness out to the tip for strength. Blade length is good too - easier to manage what you are cutting and avoid what you don't want to cut (rope/webbing cutting is a common chore for me). Did I mention I love the D4 handle :)
Make it with a steel with excellent abrasion resistance / edge holding and I'll buy several. I even love the mustard/yellow handle color, which will make it more visible when I drop it in the field.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don't remember if I said this, but the knife is strong enough to stick under glued flaps on boxes and pry some so you can get your fingers in there to rip it up. Works nice. In utility knife fashion (on a cutting board cutting cardboard to make a chef knife sheath outline) it also works great. The knife opens, closes, clips, and unclips easily, and clips securely, which is good because I use it many times in a day.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Lots if use today - lots. The knife has such a perfect overall shape and feel. No hotspots anywhere. Perfect amount of point. I was pushing it into a pile of cardboard I cut up all the way to the handle. Nice point, but still tough and not too pointy. I tried the reverse grip for giggles and found it cut great. I slashed and stabbed, and see good SD potential (I'm not a pro, but I'm not stupid either). I don't actually remember the last time I had fun at work. Using this knife is just that - no lie. I'm sold. I'll be buying if it's produced, and not just for myself.

Steels?

Color?
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You've definitely got me sold on getting one of these, Jazz. As for steel, I would love to see M4, but assuming it will be manufactured in Japan, HAP40 would be just as sweet. Since it would be HAP40, let's keep it simple and keep the Burnt Orange FRN. Or, the Goldenrod color would be quite attractive too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dc50

Post by dc50 »

re, steel and handle color. I'm hoping the cost stays relative to the Delica that is being produced today.
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

I've mentioned this on another thread but, if Sal & Jazz decide on a Hap40 (or bring back SB) as the steel to move forward with, could it be solid (blade would look awesome if allowed to fully patina) and made thick enough to keep the wider spine as the proto s30v has, yet still be ground thin enough behind the edge for the enhanced slicing ability that those steel are known for? I have no preference for handle color, either Goldenrod or Burnt Orange would work for me though.