OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by Jazz »

Here's the knife I want, but not in H1, and maybe with a bit more comfy handle - this is an old pic I drew up...

Here's what I'm using now. One's reground by me - was a hawkbill, and the other by araneae...

They both work well, but the little guy doesn't hold an edge well enough and the Byrd is too boxy, though holds a bit better edge. araneae did a great job on the blade, I might add.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Your drawing looks like a Centofante4 blade in a Salt1 handle. Have you handled a Centofante4?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Centofante 4. It's exactly what you want aside from prying out staples, I don't think the pivot on this knife would be up for that. Otherwise for cutting tasks it's the knife of your dreams.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have a few Delicas, so I'm going to use an orange VG10 FFG for a while and see. I plan to test the crap out of it. I'll keep you posted my opinion of it as a work knife.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Looking forward to your thoughts.

sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

sal wrote:Looking forward to your thoughts.

sal
I think it is very hard to improve on these as pure work knives. M4 steel on the left, Cruwear in the center. There might be people that would like Cruwear in the lightweight handle as a work knife but I think I prefer G10. If people want a tough work knife but prefer stainless steel, maybe they need something like Elmax.

Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Jazz wrote:It's about time we got a REAL work knife. Plain and simple, for real world work like cutting cardboard, bands, opening boxes and packaging, etc., etc., I've found a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade around 3" to be ideal. I'm tired of using H1 and not having edge holding for long (don't tell me to try serrated - I strongly dislike them), and also tired of using a Byrd knife with it's boxy handle edges, etc. Can we please get a 3" sheepsfoot bladed knife with a plain edge, back lock, either hollow grind or not too thin FFG, not too heavy, and with a top notch steel for edge retention (M4 or something similar?)? Am I alone in this desire? I find bellied blades will slide off the work a bit, whilst straight edges don't. Just call it "The Work Knife". I'm frustrated, and just want a good knife, and want it to be with a Spyderco hole on it.
Get an OLFA.
The auto-lock system does have a bit of play but deploying and retracting one of those is faster and safer than anthing but an OTF Auto.
The blades are also heat treated very well, and basically have the best cutting geometry possible (the blade is the same thickness as the edge bevel).

I would LOVE to see Spyderco come up with a utility blade system. You could make a $20 pack of blades with 20 different steel types.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am somehow once again thinking of a leaf shaped PM2...you know, what the PM2 wants to be when it grows up. I also think the Jandura would be close to the OP's vision.
sal

Post by sal »

Jazz wrote:Well, in a perfect world, Sal and Eric would make one. :D Okay, back to reality...anyway, I only want a sheepsfoot for work. For EDC I carry normal, bellied blades. As for the comp lock, probably my fat thumbs, but it's not my favorite. I love back locks. Fast, secure, and easy.
OK Jazz, For the sake of discussion only:

Blade length
Blade thickness
Blade shape
Blade Grind
Blade steel

Closest model to ideal handle shape
Handle material (IMHO, FRN is tough and keeps costs down)
Lock type

???

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't speak for Jazz since this is his thread but it seems to me you could just straighten the edge on a Salt or even bring back the smaller Rescue and give it VG10 or a higher edge retention steel than H1 and you'd have exactly what he's asking for. I'm always excited for new wharnies so I'd like to see where this goes.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Evil,

That may be where it goes, but the smaller Rescue never caught real traction other than the H1 version for sailors. So you might say I'm doing some R&D. If Jazz wants one, then there are probably others that might want the same thing. If the market is large enough for a production piece, then it's worthy of investigation, or at least conversation.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:Hi Evil,

That may be where it goes, but the smaller Rescue never caught real traction other than the H1 version for sailors.

sal
Do you think that may have anything to do with it being H1? I know you won't discuss sales numbers but the plain edge H1 doesn't seem very popular except for people who really want the rust prevention. I just wonder if that knife came in VG10/etc if it would have been more popular. Wharnies do seem to be a gamble though, they're not for everyone.
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Evil D wrote:I can't speak for Jazz since this is his thread but it seems to me you could just straighten the edge on a Salt or even bring back the smaller Rescue and give it VG10 or a higher edge retention steel than H1 and you'd have exactly what he's asking for. I'm always excited for new wharnies so I'd like to see where this goes.

Yeah, Rescue 79 in plain edge, and tip reground to pointed wharncliffe, similar to how that modified Jumpmaster looked that Lance had for a bit... or like the Centofante 4.

That would be an interesting knife in FFG, and a nice steel. Might like it better than my GB Air, which is the only FFG wharncliffe I have...
Going back to Caly.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Personally I would base something off the Native 5 FRN, change the blade shape to a straight edge, get rid of the choil to make the cutting edge longer, S35VN is good, FFG. I used the G10 Native 5 at work for awhile and it worked very well, could have lost the choil to make the cutting edge longer though IMO.

Used my knives for exactly what Jazz is talking about.... Exactly....

Still think the Military worked the best for me overall however, love frame locks and liner locks for easy fast one hand closing, couldn't just leave the knife sitting in a public place etc. That is also the main reason why I always tend to go back to a frame lock or a liner lock for carry.

Just me thinking out loud.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Ankerson wrote:Personally I would base something off the Native 5 FRN, change the blade shape to a straight edge, get rid of the choil to make the cutting edge longer, S35VN is good, FFG. I used the G10 Native 5 at work for awhile and it worked very well, could have lost the choil to make the cutting edge longer though IMO.

Still think the Military worked the best for me overall however, love frame locks and liner locks for easy fast one hand closing, couldn't just leave the knife sitting in a public place etc.

Yeah, that was my suggestion, as a wharncliffe Native 5. But the more I look at it, a screw would have to be relocated and new backspacer made with clearance for the lower tip.
I wouldn't lose the choil though. The remaining handle length would be quite short for those with bigger hands.
Going back to Caly.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Ankerson wrote:Personally I would base something off the Native 5 FRN, change the blade shape to a straight edge, get rid of the choil to make the cutting edge longer, S35VN is good, FFG. I used the G10 Native 5 at work for awhile and it worked very well, could have lost the choil to make the cutting edge longer though IMO.

Still think the Military worked the best for me overall however, love frame locks and liner locks for easy fast one hand closing, couldn't just leave the knife sitting in a public place etc.

Yeah, that was my suggestion, as a wharncliffe Native 5. But the more I look at it, a screw would have to be relocated and new backspacer made with clearance for the lower tip.
I wouldn't lose the choil though. The remaining handle length would be quite short for those with bigger hands.
Blade length would be the same, just make the cutting edge longer.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Quick thought...

Take the new Slysz "Mouse" blade profile, and size it into the Slysz Bowie contoured scales... I love my Slysz Bowie, but for all that belly...

What you guys are discussing... this would fit perfectly, for me...
mattman

Post by mattman »

Or wait and see if sal is going to make the Swayback with Marcin...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64121
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Hi Evil,

That may be where it goes, but the smaller Rescue never caught real traction other than the H1 version for sailors. So you might say I'm doing some R&D. If Jazz wants one, then there are probably others that might want the same thing. If the market is large enough for a production piece, then it's worthy of investigation, or at least conversation.

sal
Hi Sal, this might be slightly off topic, but I've been using my Atlantic Salt a lot lately on the kayak. Is that the same handle as the larger Rescue? I ask because I REALLY like that handle and size. It's kind of in between the Endura and Delica size and it includes a finger choil. Also, unlike some smaller knives, it is very comfortable whether using the choil or gripping behind the choil. From my perspective, I think that handle would be a good starting point. I also wonder if you guys have ever put a traditional blade shape in that handle? I would buy a knife that had that handle and a Delica shaped blade in a heartbeat!

Here's a pic just for fun. I obviously did a bit of grinding on mine to make it a "sticker".
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for the discussion, Sal. First, if anyone pays attention to Mr. Janich's explanations on straight edges in slicing, they'll know about how they cut to the tip and don't slide off. Another reason I want a wharnie for work is this: when inserting the tip in tape or whatever, with the straight edge the tip is already there - with a belly, you have to lift your hand a fair amount to get the tip inserted. Here are 2 pics to show what I mean. The edge of the desk is the "box or tape, etc."...

The belly is fine for my EDC, but at work where I do a lot of this, it gets annoying. I've just found the wharnie works - period. As long as the point isn't too pointy, it's plenty strong with the right blade thickness and grind. My thoughts are:

- 3" blade length
- 2.5 - 3mm thick
- wharncliffe shape, like the one in my drawing...

- higher flat grind, or same hollow as the Salt 1 - this older flat high ground Delica is a nice example...
- handle shape like Decila 4 very comfy, in my opinion - Salt 1 shape is good too, but D4 is better - the smaller Rescue handle seems a bit narrow up and down near the blade to me
- FRN is an excellent choice - work knives get dropped occaisionally and FRN is tough
- I love the mid back lock - long lasting and secure
- no choil - mine gets hung up occaisionally
- steel? - I have no idea - I haven't tested different steels on extensive cardboard cutting, etc. - maybe Ankerson or Evil D can chime in here - anything tough, good edge holding, and not chippy

P.S. Anyone else notice photobucket is NOT cooperating lately?
- best wishes, Jazz.