OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ocarr

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by Ocarr »

I love mine. (after a handle swap of course :rolleyes:) Thanks again Jazz and Sal!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Ocarr - nice!
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

VERY nice Ocarr, whose scales?

sal
mattman

Post by mattman »

sal wrote:VERY nice Ocarr, whose scales?

sal
Pretty sure those are Wilkins Grips...

Edit:
http://wilkins-knives.com/wilkinsgrip-d4-gripset
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

Thanks guys and mattman's right, these are Wilkins D4 grips in brown G10. I find them very reminiscent of the older Delica 3 handles, which for me, feel a little more comfortable.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Jazz wrote:As I was sitting and having a think, I realized the Byrd Meadowlark Rescue that araneae modded and gave me was the original prototype for this knife. Using it helped me feel what worked best, and got me to start this thread. So, thanks again araneae, and here's a pic of the progression...

Would you have liked to keep the choil from the Meadowlark or do you not use it? I see that you choke up on the blade a bit from your videos and when I do that with my PM2 I tend to keep my middlefinger there as a safe place to control the blade. Really nice to see a picture of the finetuning of your needs in the knife. Thanks Jazz!
/ David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sonorum wrote:
Would you have liked to keep the choil from the Meadowlark or do you not use it? I see that you choke up on the blade a bit from your videos and when I do that with my PM2 I tend to keep my middlefinger there as a safe place to control the blade. Really nice to see a picture of the finetuning of your needs in the knife. Thanks Jazz!
I'm glad you asked. I rarely used the choil, and found it got hung up in cutting material occasionally. If you look closely, the Delica already has a sort of choil. The ricasso is big enough to choke up on, yet doesn't get caught on things. Perfect design, in my opinion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i just finished this thread, started last night and just got back to it this morning. all i can say is what a read! congratulations jazz on this super idea. i like wharncliffe blades, i like this design. in fact i just ordered one, a pe, before writing this post. i was jumping on that zdp-189 bandwagon for this knife until i read the thread. i had to get an original vg-10 version. i've been away from this forum for a number of years so i'm catching up. back when i was active, it always amazed me how sal would pop in here to welcome newbies or answer questions from forum members, and in this case....... anyway, just wanted to give you a well done, jazz. and you too sal, for seeing this to completion.
kataphraktos

Post by kataphraktos »

Donut wrote:
Jazz wrote:
sal wrote:No plans at this time for an Endura warnie, we'll have to see what happens with the Delica. I believe we have plans to make a HAP 40 version of the Delica warnie.

sal
Now that's serious!
Sal is the most serious man in the world! :)
Sigh - had successfully talked myself out of the VG-10 wharnie ("You have too many knives already and your ZDP Delica is just fine. Stop it!") but then stopped by here and saw this. There goes ma money . . .

Hope the HAP40 comes to fruition before too, too long; such a great user-friendly steel!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

greencobra wrote:i just finished this thread, started last night and just got back to it this morning. all i can say is what a read! congratulations jazz on this super idea. i like wharncliffe blades, i like this design. in fact i just ordered one, a pe, before writing this post. i was jumping on that zdp-189 bandwagon for this knife until i read the thread. i had to get an original vg-10 version. i've been away from this forum for a number of years so i'm catching up. back when i was active, it always amazed me how sal would pop in here to welcome newbies or answer questions from forum members, and in this case....... anyway, just wanted to give you a well done, jazz. and you too sal, for seeing this to completion.
Thanks, bro. I really hope you enjoy it. I love it.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

So, my wife does pay attention (usually it's her saying that :o ). Actually, she's heard enough about this knife by now, and I did let her have the first cuts with them.

Anyway, she comes to me yesterday looking all cute with three paring knives in her hand saying, "See, I'm smart. I compared three blade shapes: a straight, one with a bit of curve, and one with a lot of curve, and the straight one works the best". You should see her cut with her little sheepsfoot blade. Very impressive. I doubt she'd let me film her, though.

Yes, I'm impressed with her, and I love her. No, not just because if the knives. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mine's been in my pocket since I got it. A pleasure to use. Can't wait to see a burnt orange version appear.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

paging jazz!!! i got the wharnclife delica today. it lived up to my expectations and then some. of course i haven't had it long enough to give it a good work out but i can tell we're going to get along fine. you were right, it slices like crazy and handled some minor chores around the house with ease. yeah, this is gonna be a constant companion. might i add, the first thing i cut was a lime at my local social club. squished it into my drink and raised a glass to you (and sal) for this cool knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice! That's awesome, greencobra. Enjoy your new knife. Mine just outperformed all the freshly sharpened serrated edges it went up against, even though it's in need of a touch up soon. 15° edge and it rules.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

eagerly awaiting the hap40 version.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:eagerly awaiting the hap40 version.
I'm not gonna lie - that's going to be beautiful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

A HAP-40 Wharncliffe Delica 4 and a MAXAMET Yojimbo 2 would probably introduce a lot more people to wharnie goodness.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

thombrogan wrote:A HAP-40 Wharncliffe Delica 4 and a MAXAMET Yojimbo 2 would probably introduce a lot more people to wharnie goodness.
+2 for sure. I'd get both!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

thombrogan wrote:A HAP-40 Wharncliffe Delica 4 and a MAXAMET Yojimbo 2 would probably introduce a lot more people to wharnie goodness.
+1 on that. A maxamet Yojimbo makes so much sense with that thin tip. It would never leave my pocket.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

You know when your kids do something nonsensical, and you can't say a thing -- just shake your head because it was so silly? I've seen this thread for months, and it never occurred to me to think: "Wow, that just keeps going and going. There must be something {cool/interesting/worthwhile} going on..."

<shakes head>

This is really cool. Congrats Jazz. And kudos to Sal & co. for kicking the tires to see if it was worthwhile. Looks great. Now I know what I want for my birthday!