OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal could name it the "LGS" for Jazz's OP Let's Get Serious. I am digging the fire out of this design.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That does look pretty sweet. It looks like a Yojimbo for people who don't want to spend Yojimbo money on a self defense knife. It could be the Yo-delica-bo. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread, a big "thank you" to Jazz, Sal and the Spyderco proto team! As this design checks a lot of boxes for me, I'm definitely in for multiples of this model when/if they hit the market. (IMO, this needs to be added to the Hap40 frn line)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This looks great. I would like to see some spine shots and I would love to see a comparison pic with the Kiwi4. This is a must have. Can we get a color besides black? What color would you pick Jazz? This thread rocks!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bearfacedkiller wrote:This looks great. I would like to see some spine shots and I would love to see a comparison pic with the Kiwi4. This is a must have. Can we get a color besides black? What color would you pick Jazz? This thread rocks!
I have always liked the mint green FRN on the FFG D4 but have never pulled the trigger on one. Maybe this model needs its very own color? I am with the "anything is better than black FRN" crew
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm even more intrigued now that I've seen the prototype. If it made production as a sprint I'd definitely have to try one out. I'd be very curious to see how well this pairs with a serrated hawkbill at work. I don't carry my Kiwi4 at work because it's just a little too slim and too awkward for some of the harder tasks I use a knife for, but this looks like it would be better. I still think I'll prefer my Endura, Millie and PM2, but I've never really given a full size wharnie a real shakedown at work because I don't own a Yojimbo (I prefer FFG and it just looks all wrong to me as far as blade to handle proportions...maybe I should try one...my local B&M has never had one for me to feel). I find myself wondering what the Endura equivalent to your prototype might be like...the size would be more along the lines of what I've come to like in a work EDC (Serrated hawkbill backup notwithstanding), as I find knives the size of the D4 to be a little on the small size for what I like at work. Off work EDC it's a perfect size though IMO.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
v8r

Post by v8r »

Yet another example of why Spyderco is such a awesome company.
On a side note, I would probably lean towards a brighter color handle. When I used to turn wrenches for a living brighter colored handles sure were easier to see in low light conditions. I imagine it would be easier to find in any conditions. I would go for a neon color, maybe green or blue.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I want to add that this thing opens wonderfully 2 handed, as well as one, of course. Thanks, Sal. Sorry Darby, I don't have a Kiwi 4 to compare, but here are a few pics I took. I hope they are clear enough...

A few grips I use:

The knife itself:

Comparison shots - with D4 I tested:

With Native S110V:

With Cento 4 wharnie:

I hope these help get you to want one. I know I love it. Now I have to go sharpen and test some more. :D
We need a list of Japanese steels that would be good. I like VG10 just fine, but any more ideas? Here are my color choices. One is a nice blue jeanish blue, and the other is this...

Once again, a color chart to help...

- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Awesome! Those pics are great and the comparison photos are super helpful.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

answered before finishing thread. :o ( ? on Jazz' color preference)

Thought to add; We left the hump large for two handed opening, even with gloves. Jazz had mentioned this feature as needed.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Sorry if I jumped the gun asking about colors already. This one has me a little excited. I'll just sit back and watch this one play out. This thread rocks!!!
-Darby
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I'm in for two for sure. This is going to be anxious waiting game for sure :D
I was thinking a Red handle might be nice color for a worker knife.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Goldenrod is perfect! I am allergic to goldenrod and the only cure is a goldenrod spydie
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That spine shot vs FFG D4 tells me this is a winner! Not too thin and not too thick
JT

Post by JT »

I bet this will(?) would sell like hotcakes. No matter what handle color.
Winning combination, trusty Delica handle, and wharncliffe blade. Do want.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

Thanks for the comparison shots Jazz. My vote is still to add this to the Hap40 line. (steel and frn color would be perfect imo)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ocarr,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

Thank you for the kind welcome Sal! I couldn't be happier to be part of this community and a very proud supporter of your company. I admire the close connection you keep with your customers as is obviously shown in this thread and many others like it. Keep up the fine work Mr. Glesser!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

The goldenrod color is very unique and interesting -- something you don't see much in design outside of the 1970s. I like it! I'm also a big fan of the "burnt orange" color of the HAP40 Spydies. In fact, that may be my favorite FRN color thus far. (Although I really liked the mid-blue of the Meerkat sprint!!!)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

clovisc wrote:The goldenrod color is very unique and interesting -- something you don't see much in design outside of the 1970s. I like it! I'm also a big fan of the "burnt orange" color of the HAP40 Spydies. In fact, that may be my favorite FRN color thus far. (Although I really liked the mid-blue of the Meerkat sprint!!!)

That is a nice blue shade. I would hope, if it was HAP40, that it would still be the thickness of the proto. I hear those are quite thin, like the Super Blues. I like a tad more strength than that for a working knife. The proto still slices great.
- best wishes, Jazz.