OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by Jazz »

I possibly seemed a bit over zealous there. I have lots of Spydies already. I don't want one with any belly for my work needs. Actually, VG10 is just fine. Not sure if the Kiwi would feel right in my large hands. Does anyone have a comparison shot with anything Delica or Salt 1 sized? A plain edged Rescue Jr. In VG10 would work, though the blade's a tad thick maybe, unless the grind was higher.
- best wishes, Jazz.
LC Kid

Spyderco Enuff

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Jazz wrote: ...It's about time we got a REAL work knife. Plain and simple, for real world work like cutting cardboard, bands, opening boxes and packaging, etc., etc., I've found a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade around 3" to be ideal...

Aren't we here talking about the Spyderco Enuff?? :D

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jazz wrote:I possibly seemed a bit over zealous there. I have lots of Spydies already. I don't want one with any belly for my work needs. Actually, VG10 is just fine. Not sure if the Kiwi would feel right in my large hands. Does anyone have a comparison shot with anything Delica or Salt 1 sized? A plain edged Rescue Jr. In VG10 would work, though the blade's a tad thick maybe, unless the grind was higher.
Here you go...
As for the Rescue Jr/79mm Rescue, you could always have one reground to PE with a higher saber. hollow, or even full flat grind. Not the cheapest solution, but sometimes paying what I call "the my way tax" is the only way to find out if what you think you want will actually work for you.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Combo edge endura makes a terrific work knife.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I love how he asked for a wharncliffe and gets mostly curved blades as suggestions.

As JD mentioned the stainless handled Rescue can be found in plain edge. I've neve, never seen one used. The Mariner also exists in plain edge, I've seen that a few times here and there but not cheap. Going overboard on the blade shape, the Harpy has NO BELLY and rarely is found in plain edge.

So I've found that SE bellied blades hold the work better and don't slip off. You say you don't like them. Aesthetically and philosophically I don't like SE but when I'm doing real work instead of fiddling with a knife or ogling one online, SE just gets the job done.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:I love how he asked for a wharncliffe and gets mostly curved blades as suggestions.

Well, there aren't many wharnie options, so I think we're just trying to find compromises. Note that the knives mentioned have about as shallow of a belly possible or they'd be wharnies.

Oh, and I don't know how I forgot to mention the Centofante 4. That knife pretty much fills all criteria unless someone's a leftie since the clip options are right hand oriented. It's a wharnie/sheepsfoot, VG10, 2mm blade stock so it slices like a demon, it weighs almost nothing. As long as you're just cutting things and aren't prying or doing any heavy twisting (like trying to cut a circle into the side of a car tire) it's plenty strong enough.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

How about an Air?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Yojimbo.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for the pics, Paul, and all the ideas guys. Maybe the Cento 4. Not the Air. Can't stand liner locks. I just cut and slice a lot of cardboard and would like a more hand friendly knife that'll hold an edge longer. I use it quite hard with light prying (loosening tough glued flaps and such).
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:As JD mentioned the stainless handled Rescue can be found in plain edge. I've neve, never seen one used.
I've never seen a PE all stainless C14 or C45, period. I would be extremely surprised if either exists. PE Mariners, yes. PE Harpie, yes. PE FRN C14 Rescues, yes. PE SS C14's or C45's, I doubt it. Heck even the SE ones went over like lead balloons and only appear in one catalog. Besides, "light" was one of Jazz's critera, and those two are anything but light (5.3 and 4.6 oz, respectively).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RjB

Post by RjB »

I know you want a production knife, but an Endura with Janich blade mod could be a doable self mod? It would look a Kahr Delica with 1/2" more blade.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

What's your objection to the Yojimbo 2? Just curious.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ABX2011 wrote:What's your objection to the Yojimbo 2? Just curious.
I can't seem to get a good feel for the comp lock - one handed closing quickly in particular. To slow for me. I think it's too pointy for me, maybe. Not sure. Is the tip strong?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Jazz, I hate to be another nay-sayer but I'm having a hard time feeling it. Personally I abhor sheepsfoot blades. I have a couple of wharncliffes but rarely use them as they aren't very versatile. To each his own though.

re: the tip on the Yojimbo- no, it's not very strong...quite delicate actually.

edit: Just read the second page and saw the Centofante recommendation. I would second that.
Donut

Post by Donut »

What about a super steel with that newish larger kiwi?

Hap40 is similar to M4, even.

*edit* Oops, I didn't read the second page, Paul suggested it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Jazz wrote:
I can't seem to get a good feel for the comp lock - one handed closing quickly in particular. To slow for me. I think it's too pointy for me, maybe. Not sure. Is the tip strong?
Interesting, the compression and BB locks are the easiest for me to close one-handed, when you release either of those locks the blade just falls closed when held correctly, if not a slight wrist movement is all it takes, *much* easier than a mid lock IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
harronek

Post by harronek »

Get a Delica in what ever steel that floats your boat , but if you can handle a slightly shorter blade the Delica Kahr sounds like it is everything you have ever dreamed of and would be my first recommendation .
Good luck and at the risk of sounding boring " DELICA "

Ken
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:
Just close it like you would a backlock. Push to release the lock with your thumb while giving your wrist a flick to get the blade to close. Once the choil or ricasso stops on your finger, get it out of the way and close the blade.

I'm surprised that more people don't remark how similarily a backlock and comp lock close when using the same technique.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

In long time edge retention it hard to beat serreted H1. I know you don't like serrations, but spyderedge is realy, realy great. It cuts forever. So my pick will be Enuff Salt. If you want folder Salt Saver.
If you still insist plain edge, I would say Delica in ZDP 189 or HAP40, but there is no sheapfoot blade.
harronek

Post by harronek »

Not my photo , just one I found on the interweb , but this ticks all the boxes apart from blade length -
2 1/2 inches , but that means it's legal to carry just about everywhere on the planet .

Ken