OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:Stupid photobucket wrecking the history in this thread... anyway, I'm wondering how all y'all are liking your Delica wharnies. Haven't heard much about them lately. Mine is still very much perfect doing what it was designed to do, every day at work. I let a guy borrow it the other day, but only after I asked him what he was cutting. He commented it sure was a sharp sucker.
The only solution is to post more pics! I did see that they were selling the WharnDeilca on the Stay Safe Media website under the Live Weapons section along side the Yojimbo 2, fred perrin, and some Kahr enduras. I know you probably weren't looking for the Jazz Delica to be a SD tool but that's pretty cool. http://www.staysafemedia.com/tools/weapons.html :cool:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I don't care much for the plain edge wharnie but the serrated one...that's another story, I love it ! My SE wharnie Delica is my go to blade lately and I have to say : it's a terrific ripper :eek:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote: The only solution is to post more pics! I did see that they were selling the WharnDeilca on the Stay Safe Media website under the Live Weapons section along side the Yojimbo 2, fred perrin, and some Kahr enduras. I know you probably weren't looking for the Jazz Delica to be a SD tool but that's pretty cool. http://www.staysafemedia.com/tools/weapons.html :cool:
Actually, I'm very cool with that. I know, thanks to Mr. Janich, how great wharnies are for this too. I'm glad Mike likes it. Also, it's out of stock there - a good sign?
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote: The only solution is to post more pics! I did see that they were selling the WharnDeilca on the Stay Safe Media website under the Live Weapons section along side the Yojimbo 2, fred perrin, and some Kahr enduras. I know you probably weren't looking for the Jazz Delica to be a SD tool but that's pretty cool. http://www.staysafemedia.com/tools/weapons.html :cool:
Actually, I'm very cool with that. I know, thanks to Mr. Janich, how great wharnies are for this too. I'm glad Mike likes it. Also, it's out of stock there - a good sign?
They are always out of the good stuff there...Jandura is never there and when it is, don't blink
attila

Post by attila »

Jazz wrote:Stupid photobucket wrecking the history in this thread... anyway, I'm wondering how all y'all are liking your Delica wharnies. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Since I wasn't actively reading the forums when this thread was developing, I missed the memo of why it's sometimes called a Jazz Delica. Doh! :rolleyes:
So, in light of my ignorance, I just read the first 13 pages but haven't even been able to see the prototype because of Photobucket being stupid.

Would you mind posting another picture(s) of it?

Thanks for your contribution to our addiction! :spyder:
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here are some of the prototype...

- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm still very much hoping for the Hap 40 version of this knife :D Wharnclifes are where it's at.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
attila

Post by attila »

Jazz wrote:Here are some of the prototype...
Thanks!! I do like it, despite the large hump on the spine being an initial turnoff for me.

I also look forward to future versions.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I just read every post over the course of a week. What a thread. I don’t plan on buying this one, no offense, since I rarely have to use my knives for serious work. But what a cool thread.

Stupid photo bucket though.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ConspicuousConsumption wrote:I just read every post over the course of a week. What a thread. I don’t plan on buying this one, no offense, since I rarely have to use my knives for serious work. But what a cool thread.

Yes, stupid Photobucket. You know, it makes a great EDC and SD knife too, that just happens to work hard when you want it to. Just sayin'. I have a PE and SE in my home pockets, and PE at work. Great apple peeler, string cutter, package opener... okay, I'll be quiet now. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Jazz wrote:
ConspicuousConsumption wrote:I just read every post over the course of a week. What a thread. I don’t plan on buying this one, no offense, since I rarely have to use my knives for serious work. But what a cool thread.

Yes, stupid Photobucket. You know, it makes a great EDC and SD knife too, that just happens to work hard when you want it to. Just sayin'. I have a PE and SE in my home pockets, and PE at work. Great apple peeler, string cutter, package opener... okay, I'll be quiet now. ;)
I bet you’re on cloud 9 having Spyderco make your dream knife. Good for you, man! I’d carry 2 at all times.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks. Actually, it's my dream work knife, that happens to be good at a lot of things. I rotate a lot of knives at home, but my orange wharnie is with me and used a lot at work every day. Sal got me enjoying serrations somehow - he's sneaky, so that one gets used a lot lately. Did some garden work with the SE. Worked great.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I made a switch today and really think they both benefited.

- best wishes, Jazz.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jazz wrote:I made a switch today and really think they both benefited.

Titanium scales look really nice with the Wharncliffe blade. Cool Mod Jazz :cool:

Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I agree... that's a good handle swap. Looks good!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
rakashaka

Post by rakashaka »

So every feature requested by the OP was obliged with flying colors by spyderco except the blade's steel. Which is one of the most important features regarding it's designed use of cutting boxes which means edge retention.
Why was this ignored? VG10 is hardly the steel of choice for this.
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

I think it's amazing that the request was obliged at all! I think plenty of companies would have done nothing and patted themselves on the back that they already make knives that meet 95% of what the customer is requesting. I think very few would take one customer's suggestions seriously and actually go to the trouble of making a prototype and gauging consumer interest, and then coming out with a sprint in a different steel already? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's phenomenal and possibly unprecedented.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

AlwaysTomboy wrote:I think it's amazing that the request was obliged at all! I think plenty of companies would have done nothing and patted themselves on the back that they already make knives that meet 95% of what the customer is requesting. I think very few would take one customer's suggestions seriously and actually go to the trouble of making a prototype and gauging consumer interest, and then coming out with a sprint in a different steel already? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's phenomenal and possibly unprecedented.
^ Yep! I'm sure Jazz is not only thrilled but also very appreciative.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you know me at all, you'll know I really like VG 10. I use this knife cutting a lot of cardboard and banding. It works, and it works well. I'm not going to say I wouldn't want to try it out in K390 or Maxamet though.

Also, it goes without saying that I'm appreciative, and I hope everyone else who uses this workhorse is too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think it's awesome that this knife is now available in VG10 plain and serrated, S30V plain, Hap40 plain, and potentially VTOKU plain. currently 4 different blade offerings, 3 different FRN colors.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb