52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Man, that is one sexy knife! :eek: :D Hadn't planned to buy the 204P Millie until I saw the major CQI and now the same with this one. I sold off a bunch of my Millies recently and only regretted selling the CF M390 (knowing this one was coming down the road). Now I know I made a good choice!

Resistance is futile Lance ;) I hear you though on the major issue of wallet corrosion and erosion though! And I didn't even go to Blade. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Evil D wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Evil D wrote:Has anyone taken one of these apart? Is the stop pin floating in there? It's definitely not riveted?
I took mine apart and it's definitely not riveted.

ETA: Added photos.
Sweet man thanks for taking one for the team.
bearfacedkiller wrote:For sure! Thanks for those pics Capt'n.
You bet guys. Unfortunately, the disassembly of my 204P Millie wasn't merely for science. Mine had a bit of a hang-up in opening/closing and the blade was off-center a bit (not exactly touching, but enough to cause me to want to do something about it). I found a small burr on the pivot hole in the non-lock side liner. I sanded that off and repolished, which did help with the hang-up problem (which also may have worked itself out during break-in). You can see the burr in the photo below.

As far as the off-center blade, I followed some of the guidance on this forum and BF as far as straightening out blades and had good (although not total) success. It's acceptable for me, and as usual with me for Sprints, once I get 'em dirty and/or disassembled, they become more 'mine' and I have far less trouble using them as Sal intended. Which is a good thing. :cool:

In hindsight, had I known it was a burr, I would have sent it back to Spyderco/KW for re-work, but I thought that with my own disassembly/polishing/reassembly, I could get it addressed adequately. (This worked out for me with other Millie's of mine.) And I did get it fixed, but ideally it wouldn't have required sandpaper... :eek:

Apologies that this is a bit off-topic relative to the 52100 sprint, but still relevant to Millie's and potentially the CQI in these two models.

Onward!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That burr looks to be a start/stop point from the laser. I've seen similar burrs on liners.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice pics Capt'n! Sorry to hear about the burr, but sounds like you got it sorted.

Thanks for the update on the 52100 design also, Liquid!

Saw my preorder email also, and got a little excited, but it was just a "be patient we haven't forgotten about you" type of reminder email...
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Man, that is one sexy knife! :eek: :D Hadn't planned to buy the 204P Millie until I saw the major CQI and now the same with this one. I sold off a bunch of my Millies recently and only regretted selling the CF M390 (knowing this one was coming down the road). Now I know I made a good choice!

Resistance is futile Lance ;) I hear you though on the major issue of wallet corrosion and erosion though! And I didn't even go to Blade. :)
I'm a pretty good Resistor actually. I didn't buy a single knife at Blade. :o I know, I know...I'm a sad excuse for a knife nerd. :rolleyes: Sure had a good time though. I enjoy the relationships more than the buying frenzy. :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Surfingringo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I am having to pass on this one but it is difficult. I don't know why i keep opening this thread...I guess to torture myself?
Due to corrosion and your tropical climate?
Due to the corrosion of my bankroll. ;)
Adios Mio!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I am having to pass on this one but it is difficult. I don't know why i keep opening this thread...I guess to torture myself?
Adios Mio!
Lance,

You should get a mask of a former US Predident and hold up a bank
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think that's been done already. Twice! :p
OtisCampbell

Post by OtisCampbell »

KW has them up for grabs... :spyder: :D :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

OtisCampbell wrote:KW has them up for grabs... :spyder: :D :spyder:
Wait...you mean to order and buy or preorder?
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Must.....resist..........
OtisCampbell

Post by OtisCampbell »

Evil D wrote:
OtisCampbell wrote:KW has them up for grabs... :spyder: :D :spyder:
Wait...you mean to order and buy or preorder?
Pre-order ... GP had them up too but sold out... I imagine vendors are getting their numbers for a soon to come drop.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh well I've had a preorder in for like 6 months so I'm good. I was about to flip out if they were letting orders go and they haven't even notified me that my preorder is filled.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well, the CQI on this is an unexpected surprise. Well done, Sal and Crew. I can't wait to get mine! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:Oh well I've had a preorder in for like 6 months so I'm good. I was about to flip out if they were letting orders go and they haven't even notified me that my preorder is filled.
You? Flip out? Nah, I refuse to believe that. :p

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:Well, the CQI on this is an unexpected surprise. Well done, Sal and Crew. I can't wait to get mine! :D
I had convinced myself that I'd be happy with the regular version, and I do believe I would have been but I'm definitely excited to try out the changes.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:Oh well I've had a preorder in for like 6 months so I'm good. I was about to flip out if they were letting orders go and they haven't even notified me that my preorder is filled.
Lol, I did earn that "evil" in my screen name ya know ;)
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Well, the CQI on this is an unexpected surprise. Well done, Sal and Crew. I can't wait to get mine! :D
I had convinced myself that I'd be happy with the regular version, and I do believe I would have been but I'm definitely excited to try out the changes.
Agreed! I was thinking the same thing. The fact that they quietly CQI'd the current Sprint Millies was a stellar touch. It's like when you order a sirloin steak and your server returns and says, "So sorry for the trouble, but we're all out of sirloin. Would you like to have our prime rib or T-bone steak instead? It's on the house." :D

Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Lol, I did earn that "evil" in my screen name ya know ;)
ROFL! Well played. :D

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Surfingringo wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
My corrosion of bankroll was totally obscured by corrosion of brain and didn't hold me back at all :eek:

Still only weekly reminders from KC.

Thanks, Capt'n Boatsalot and Johnnie1801, for the breakdown pics and confirmation of CQI pics :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I resisted this release so well... But when I saw the CQI changes on the real-life pictures of the 52100, I broke down and suffered a relapse... :o

Whooohoooo ! :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi