52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by DrtyHarry »

Agreed...it would be silly to mess with a Sprint Millie. I actually kinda dig the blurple now...I didn't at first, I do now!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I like the micarta scales HarleyXJguy had put on his Cruwear Millie. Anybody know where he is now? If he's at Fort Hood, I hope he and his family don't get washed away.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Top Quality Knives just sent me an email saying "Expected Arrival On Monday (June 13, 2016)" and they've opened pre-orders.

I pre-ordered elsewhere... I wonder if KC will get them about the same time :confused:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll be patient. The one time I jumped ship it backfired on me. Seems pretty safe to say they'll be out this month at some point.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I got to handle one that Sal had in his pocket at Blade. Nice knife.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Is there a stainless that 52100 performs similarly to? Looking for info about it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:I got to handle one that Sal had in his pocket at Blade. Nice knife.
So definitely not updated?
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZL1 wrote:Is there a stainless that 52100 performs similarly to? Looking for info about it.
I believe AEB-L is the stainless equivalent.
~David
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Appreciate it thanks!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

One of Sal's favorite steels in probably his favorite knife... this one's gonna be a keeper... of course everything else has been too, for me so far :o
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I got to handle one that Sal had in his pocket at Blade. Nice knife.
If you are talking about the standoffs and screw sizes, I didn't even pay attention. Oops. :o
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
If you are talking about the standoffs and screw sizes, I didn't even pay attention. Oops. :o
Seriously! Cmon man!
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Seriously! Cmon man!
Maybe he's saying he handled it while it was in Sal's pocket. :p

That wording, though. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Me thinks Lance was sworn to secrecy..
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am curious about just how much patina this will take? M4 levels? SuperBlue (insane patina)? Or are we talking Cruwear/HAP 40? If I get one, my fear is hacking it up patina wise and then ruining the value.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:I am curious about just how much patina this will take? M4 levels? SuperBlue (insane patina)? Or are we talking Cruwear/HAP 40? If I get one, my fear is hacking it up patina wise and then ruining the value.
My understanding is this steel will patina and or rust just by looking at it the wrong way. I would expect something along the lines of Super Blue, 1095, etc but that's just going by what I've read.
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:I am curious about just how much patina this will take? M4 levels? SuperBlue (insane patina)? Or are we talking Cruwear/HAP 40? If I get one, my fear is hacking it up patina wise and then ruining the value.

From my experience, just barely one step below Super Blue. But, I have also repeatedly put mine away wet into a kydex sheath and left it for a weekend while camping, so it did pit just a bit...
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:
My understanding is this steel will patina and or rust just by looking at it the wrong way. I would expect something along the lines of Super Blue, 1095, etc but that's just going by what I've read.

I don't remember any of my "steel jackets" (ball bearings) getting rusty when I played marbles with them as a kid, close to the coast and two blocks from Eslava Creek, a brackish creek in Mobile, which I spent most of my time in or on. (52100 is a ball bearing steel.)

FWIW KC and TQK are still showing what appears to be about the same picture as in the 2016 catalog, a la old type.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

These are dropping, just ordered mine. Scheduled to ship the 13th. :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpeedHoles wrote:

From my experience, just barely one step below Super Blue. But, I have also repeatedly put mine away wet into a kydex sheath and left it for a weekend while camping, so it did pit just a bit...
Good to know, SpeedHoles. As a steel made for ball-bearing use, it seems like it can be maintained fairly well by keeping it lubed and free from moisture.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal