52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Evil D »

I didn't want to (further) clog the other thread up because I know a lot of people are subscribed to that thread and hate getting notifications for random comments (sorry) so I'll start this thread instead.

For those planning on buying one, what are your plans for this knife?

Intended use?

What edge angle are you going to run? Factory 30/40 or...?

Hopefully people are buying to use them and not for collecting and flipping lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Joris Mo

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Joris Mo »

If I end up getting it, mainly have to check my finances by that time, it'll be intended as a user.
I do already have a CE S30V and a Cruwear PE but this steel sounds very nice for a blade like this which is a great user.
Most users keep the 30/40 angle, presume this one would too.

Use could be at home in the workshop doing bone and wood carving, preparing food in the kitchen and the occasional bunch of cardboard boxes..
The wild outdoors is slightly less wild and huge in the Netherlands than the USA but it could be the kind of knife to take hiking, here or abroad.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I bet if many were being truthful it would be "I plan to buy two, flip one for double what I paid and play with the keeper with white cotton gloves on"
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mine will be a daily user(into rotation), probably get some custom scales made, waiting on some for my Cruwear right now. Not sure though need to see what this round of peel-ply looks like.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:I bet if many were being truthful it would be "I plan to buy two, flip one for double what I paid and play with the keeper with white cotton gloves on"
Sadly I think you hit it right on the nose. I'm buying two but one will get a generous coat of Tuf-Glide and will stay in the box for future use.
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It's perfectly valid to buy 2 so you can have a spare, you never know how long it will be before another with similar properties comes out. I don't consider the Cruwear to have similar properties to the 52100, I would consider the M4 to be closer and those haven't been made in a long time.

I know people buy them to flip, a lot of people will buy the maximum that they can buy, maybe 4 or 8, intending to flip them all, so that's nothing new. I've got more knives than I can use now so if I bought one I would buy it to use. There are knives that I am interested in and want to buy but I can't see buying them if I won't use them.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I strive to collect Spyderco's rare/limited production models, so this one may get me to cave in yet. We'll see. Hopefully, it won't come out the same time as the Anniversary Native. :cool:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

SpyderNut wrote:I strive to collect Spyderco's rare/limited production
It will probably be rare and limited.

I'm surprised how rare the Cruwear Military is. Cruwear isn't as exciting a steel as some but people seem to like them and very few come up for sale.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I didn't know much about Cruwear when the topic came up. If I had known how similar it is to 3V I would've jumped all over it. I'd still love to see a 3V Military.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I plan on getting one and then deciding what to do with it like I did with my Cruwear Millie. It might end up being a light carry knife or full on EDC user. I'm a sucker for Spyderco's peel ply carbon fiber, so it is a must have. As for sharpening, I'll probably keep at the sharp maker angles for ease of sharpening and convenience.

Btw, there is nothing wrong with collecting. If we didn't have collectors buying up so many knives, we probably would see fewer sprints from Spyderco. I fully understand for a nice steel to be appreciated it has to be put to use. Just like to truly appreciate a knifes design it should be used. But plenty of people get a lot of pleasure simply from owning something. Admiring it is good enough for some folks. And thats ok.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well said, LC. I agree. Although the majority of my knives never see a lot of active duty, I still greatly enjoy looking at them and carrying them. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I would be all over this one but I am saving my Millie budget for the KW exclusive. I already have a Cruwear and a Ti S30V, but S90V is too good to pass up for me. If this was a Ti framelock I would probably get the 52100 though, just because I am a sucker for framelocks, especially Ti.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I wouldn't see the point in getting one with this steel and then putting anything greater than a 15 dps edge on it.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've been flip flopping on buying this knife. Lately I've been thinking about picking one up.

Never got the 52100 mule so it would be interesting. It's fairly expensive, so it depends what else comes out at the same time.

I acquired a couple of SR101 knives from Busse (American Regulator and SFNO) and a 52100 Military would make a nice pairing.
animportant

Post by animportant »

I sold my beloved s90v Millie for this one (my rule is 1 of each knife only) .. Once 52100 arrives I am guessing it will often become my Saturday knife (when I'm doing work around the house like recycling or chores etc) ... I live in NJ so it will also be a companion when I know I will be in questionable areas. (Only because ya never know)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I plan to save my money and get another Cruwear Millie.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

use it, stock.
I buy knives to use. This should be a great cutting tool to add to the mili rotation.
and +1 on 3v or better still 4v mili!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

If I can manage to find one it will be a user. Probably sharpened to 30 degrees or near by. I enjoy the steel in a couple of higher end kitchen knives. I suspect this will require regular maintenance given how prone to patina/rust this steel is.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Have one on preorder. Plan on carrying it in my pocket and using it for whatever I pull it out of my pocket for.

Probably keep it at the factory edge angles and touch up 30/40.
Going back to Caly.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote: Sadly I think you hit it right on the nose. I'm buying two but one will get a generous coat of Tuf-Glide and will stay in the box for future use.
Nothing wrong with a pre-need replacement!