52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ocarr

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Ocarr »

Evil D wrote:
Ocarr wrote:Hey guys, do you think taking the edge of this steel to a high polish would assist in slowing any of the corrosion?
It probably won't hurt, but the problem Lance is talking about is on a microscopic level, so even with a polished edge it's still going to happen. All it really means is you can't expect this one to sit in a drawer for a month and be quite as screaming sharp as it was when you left it. That teeny bit of edge degradation will also sharpen off in probably 2 passes on the brown rods.
Thanks Evil D, duly noted.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ocarr wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Ocarr wrote:Hey guys, do you think taking the edge of this steel to a high polish would assist in slowing any of the corrosion?
It probably won't hurt, but the problem Lance is talking about is on a microscopic level, so even with a polished edge it's still going to happen. All it really means is you can't expect this one to sit in a drawer for a month and be quite as screaming sharp as it was when you left it. That teeny bit of edge degradation will also sharpen off in probably 2 passes on the brown rods.
Thanks Evil D, duly noted.
Technically every steel does this, but non stainless steels will all do it more than stainless depending on just how corrosion prone they are. It happens faster and is more noticeable on carbon steels because they tend to react to pretty much anything you cut. In the end if you use your knife daily and just touch it up you'll never notice, but if you do the kind of work like Lance does where you're cutting acidic things everyday and are around salt water on top of it, you'll probably be more aware of it especially if you're not rinsing the blade off after each use and/or if you're cutting those types of things for extended periods of time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

One thing to note..... barkeepers friend has stained M4 in the past for me.... it cleans 52100 perfectly. Had to redo my forced patina lol. Love this knife. Forced a patina and oiled with frog lube and i don't worry at all about corrosion now.

My backup will sit quietly in the safe until the day comes i need it. CF and carbon steel is where it's at.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

farnorthdan wrote:
swigert wrote:Lance we need some pics of that mule.
+1 Lance, looks like Xplorer really hooked you up. :)
I will make a thread on that mule and handle soon. The handle is absolutely epic. I have been taking a few pics, but I have family visiting right now so there isn't much time for editing and messing around on the forum. Never fear though, I'll have some stuff up in a few days. :)

**For a teaser you can check out the calendar pic thread. I went ahead and added a shot of the mule/handle in there.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Almost 1 month after release I got my shipping email from KC. Its been a long month reading about people having theirs shipped, how nice they are and having to look at all the drool worthy pics of the knives everyones already got. Very happy to know its on the way and I got a $50 store credit on it. So glad I kept my order with them now. Just got to wait for it to get to this end of the planet now but at least reading about and seeing all the others will be a lot easier now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gingerninja wrote:Almost 1 month after release I got my shipping email from KC. Its been a long month reading about people having theirs shipped, how nice they are and having to look at all the drool worthy pics of the knives everyones already got. Very happy to know its on the way and I got a $50 store credit on it. So glad I kept my order with them now. Just got to wait for it to get to this end of the planet now but at least reading about and seeing all the others will be a lot easier now.
Good for you. I think your gonna really love it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow, handing out store credits now. I told the gal over the phone when I dropped my order from 2 to 1 that I just couldn't risk not getting one at all. I don't think it was the first time she'd heard a story like that. Their logistics dept needs a little work.
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

gingerninja wrote:Almost 1 month after release I got my shipping email from KC. Its been a long month reading about people having theirs shipped, how nice they are and having to look at all the drool worthy pics of the knives everyones already got. Very happy to know its on the way and I got a $50 store credit on it. So glad I kept my order with them now. Just got to wait for it to get to this end of the planet now but at least reading about and seeing all the others will be a lot easier now.
Yeah mate, I feel your pain... Mine has been enroute for the last three weeks to this corner of the globe. Still no end in sight. The anticipation makes it all worthwhile.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Been working a lot lately, not much time to mess with my knives and I've been carrying my Yojimbo. I noticed today my Military has developed some rust on the spine. Not sure how since the blade is coated with mineral oil. I guess it could be something that was on the blade prior to oiling it.

The good news is since the spine is already brushed, this will be really easy to clean up with a little sandpaper.
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

She's a little bit high-maintenance eh? That is what I love and hate about my Caly 3 Superblue... :)
Hans

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I had taken my 52100 Millie hiking and cut some limes and Jalepenos and forgot about it and got some serious corrosion. Then I cut open a bag of Pool shock Chlorine and got it on the blade and forgot to wash it. Needless to say the blade was getting some pitting and looked terrible. Even flitz and steel wool would do nothing. So I put some Oxpho Blue on it as an experiment. Looks ok.

The steel is super easy to sharpen and gets hair shaving sharp with little to no effort.

I am now going to see how the blueing wears over time.
Attachments
IMG_0915.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That'll be interesting to see. My understanding is that gun bluing doesn't really stand up to wear very well.
~David
swigert

Post by swigert »

Archimedes wrote:I had taken my 52100 Millie hiking and cut some limes and Jalepenos and forgot about it and got some serious corrosion. Then I cut open a bag of Pool shock Chlorine and got it on the blade and forgot to wash it. Needless to say the blade was getting some pitting and looked terrible. Even flitz and steel wool would do nothing. So I put some Oxpho Blue on it as an experiment. Looks ok.

The steel is super easy to sharpen and gets hair shaving sharp with little to no effort.

I am now going to see how the blueing wears over time.
If you don't like it holds Cerakote may be a good option...
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Evil D wrote:That'll be interesting to see. My understanding is that gun bluing doesn't really stand up to wear very well.
We will see. It is an experiment at this point.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mine arrived today, after a three week trek from Louisiana. :)
Hans

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Brock O Lee wrote:Mine arrived today, after a three week trek from Louisiana. :)
Awesome!
Let us know what ya think...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Brock O Lee wrote:Mine arrived today, after a three week trek from Louisiana. :)
I think you'll like it a lot, look forward to hearing your thoughts after some use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So it seems that my body just promotes rust. I've had a couple days off so I've been carrying mine, and it looks as though just the act of putting my hands in my pocket that the knife is in, is enough to get rust on any part of the knife that I've made contact with. That's the best I can figure is happening since the spine of the knife is really starting to turn brown. Then there's the area around the thumb hole you can almost see my fingerprint around the hole from opening it. I'm guessing it's salt in the oil from my skin causing rust.

Still no issues with the edge breaking down, but I also haven't cut anything acidic lately. For those who are concerned about rust, it seems the Tuf Glide is working flawlessly on the tang so if you want complete rust prevention, that's an option.
~David
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

I'm a bit surprised that these are still available. If it wasnt for grabing some PM2s on Thursday, I'd buy another of these Millies. Super knife!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sirens1 wrote:I'm a bit surprised that these are still available. If it wasnt for grabing some PM2s on Thursday, I'd buy another of these Millies. Super knife!

I'm very seriously considering buying a 3rd. I hate to be greedy but as you said, they don't seem to be selling out near as fast as I predicted.
~David