52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swigert

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:I'm a bit surprised that these are still available. If it wasnt for grabing some PM2s on Thursday, I'd buy another of these Millies. Super knife!

I'm very seriously considering buying a 3rd. I hate to be greedy but as you said, they don't seem to be selling out near as fast as I predicted.
Totally unexpected. I may get a second
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

swigert wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:I'm a bit surprised that these are still available. If it wasnt for grabing some PM2s on Thursday, I'd buy another of these Millies. Super knife!

I'm very seriously considering buying a 3rd. I hate to be greedy but as you said, they don't seem to be selling out near as fast as I predicted.
Totally unexpected. I may get a second

There are something like 3 levels of comfort in using a knife for me:

1. Standard production: I can easily replace it if I lose it/break it/or otherwise screw it up. As long as they don't get discontinued, I can put it through its paces and feel relatively safe that if something bad happens, I can get a replacement.

2. Sprint/Exclusive with a backup: Same as 1, but I'll always have it in the back of my mind that even with the future replacement, if I find myself having to use THAT one, then it'll be an endangered species and at that point I'll be reluctant to use it.

3. Sprint/Exlusive with a backup backup: This puts me in "throw caution to the wind" mode, and at least with the very first one, it's no holds barred use it for anything and don't sweat it.

So, it's like that saying goes "two is one and one is none", I'm not sure what that makes 3 but it would sure put me at ease and I'd feel a lot less worry over using it for all its worth.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Is anyone seeing them somewhere still at $209, I see a couple vendors at $250ish. I already have plenty, just curious.

I like the way you think David, and used that exact same thought process with the 52100, I've pretty much thrown caution to the wind with my user knowing I have a back up to my back, could I possibly need a back up to my back up...back up :D this Military is that good.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm in the "User Sprint without backup" camp. Living on the edge baby! :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The start of a natural patina. This was after slicing up about 10 strawberries and two oranges.

I broke down a box last night with this Military. I also had a Manix S110V LW close by, so I decided to compare the two in terms of how easy they cut through cardboard. The Manix was convexed many moons ago, with a 15 dps micro bevel, and the 52100 still had its factory edge. I alternated cuts between the two knives. Both edges were very sharp. I knew what to expect, but I was still a little bit shocked at how much more force I needed with the Military's more obtuse factory edge. I just love how a convex performs.

So, in the spirit of taking risks with expensive sprints, I decided to also convex the 52100 this afternoon. I finished with a SM fine micro bevel at 15 dps. It was waaaay too easy to get it sharp enough to push-cut phone book paper @ 90 degrees... 52100 really takes a finer edge than Superblue or M4. It has Tuff-glide in the pivot, and is now ready for a new patina. :)

Hans

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I just recieved mine from KC preorder.
Very satisfied! Patience worked out.

Always amazed at how grippy fresh peel ply is!
Haven't had a chance to carry or use much yet.
Going back to Caly.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Brock O Lee wrote:I'm in the "User Sprint without backup" camp. Living on the edge baby! :D
:p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's pretty cool Hans. I've considered convexing before but my OCD would probably lean towards dropping the bevel angle on my Edge Pro as low as it'll go and then micro beveling on the Sharpmaker. I suppose you get a bit stronger edge with a convex though.
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks David... A low angle on the EP will also make a massive difference. About half of mine have 12 dps EP bevels, but some days I am too lazy to use the EP.

52100 is supposed to work well with a thin edge, so let's see what it can do. I feel it is a complete waste of performance to keep it on the conservative factory angle.

What I like about a convex is there is no shoulder to create drag beteen the secondary bevel and primary grind. It is noticeable in use, especially when you cut something like cardboard.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:Thanks David... A low angle on the EP will also make a massive difference. About half of mine have 12 dps EP bevels, but some days I am too lazy to use the EP.

52100 is supposed to work well with a thin edge, so let's see what it can do. I feel it is a complete waste of performance to keep it on the conservative factory angle.

What I like about a convex is there is no shoulder to create drag beteen the secondary bevel and primary grind. It is noticable in use, especially when you cut something like cardboard.
So are you just doing the mouse pad and sandpaper routine?
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I guess there are many ways to do it. I experimented a bit today and started with 100 grit sandpaper on a pliable base similar to a mouse pad. It did not feel very precise, as my sandpaper was a bit loose. I switched to sandpaper clamped to a glass plate to remove about 75% of material. Sandpaper loses its bite quickly... I then switched to a DMT X-coarse and coarse benchstone. I don't think DMT's are ideal for this, but they are flat, and it is what I have. I finished up using the EP 600 and 1000 grit stones freehand to work away the scratches, and micro-bevelled on the SM medium and fines.

I cut off the edge, then start flat on the FFG and work away the shoulder. I like to stay away from the apex to not create a burr. I only hit the very edge on the finer grits, then apex on the SM.
Hans

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I could not be more impressed with both my CTS 204P and 52100 Millie. Both were screamin' sharp outta the box and even moreso impressive with just a little time on the SharpMaker Fine Rods. I get fantastic results with both just using the White Fine Rods.
Usually, I send any new Spydie to Jason Bosman to have them sharpened and then just keep them up on the White Rods of the SharpMaker. But Im just gonna wait a little while to do that with these new Millies. They are just doing so well.
And I think that speaks A LOT on behalf of Spyderco, Eric in Golden in particular. Because, that means the most novice of knife nuts hardly have to do anything to achieve imo exceptional sharpness. Not professional sharpness or whatever, but just plenty dang sharp enough for the average Joe. Lol, actually these would prolly be dangerous for the average Joe.
Once again, huge props to Spyderco for their CQI!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Some photos of the patina that I'm working on. Last night, cut potatoes, onions, green beans, and kielbasa. I like how it the character develops. Oh and it cuts like crazy! I left pieces of onion on the blade too long, hence the spots.

vivi

Post by vivi »

These aren't still for sale, are they? Millie is a frsutrating knife to like...always seem to miss the sprints.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Vivi wrote:These aren't still for sale, are they? Millie is a frsutrating knife to like...always seem to miss the sprints.

I've heard people say there are still some around.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Vivi wrote:These aren't still for sale, are they? Millie is a frsutrating knife to like...always seem to miss the sprints.
In stock at Sooner State Knives...
Hans

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Brock O Lee wrote:
In stock at Sooner State Knives...
+1 SSK is cheapest out of the few places I found that still have them
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vivi

Post by vivi »

awesome, thanks for the tip!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Vivi wrote:awesome, thanks for the tip!
I bought my first one from Kenny @SSK and out of the 4 that I've picked up (only have 3 now) that first one was the nicest, SSK is a little higher on most of their pieces but great to deal with and always ships fast, not to mention Kenny often has hard to find pieces when everyone else is out.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

farnorthdan wrote:
Vivi wrote:awesome, thanks for the tip!
I bought my first one from Kenny @SSK and out of the 4 that I've picked up (only have 3 now) that first one was the nicest, SSK is a little higher on most of their pieces but great to deal with and always ships fast, not to mention Kenny often has hard to find pieces when everyone else is out.
Agreed. Kenny is excellent to work with. Very fast and friendly service too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal