52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteelSpyder

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by SteelSpyder »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is similar to other carbon steels like steelspyder mentioned. O1 is another similar steel that is fairly common. However, this 52100 Military is gonnna be run a little harder than many carbon steels. 1095 is fairly ubiquitous in the knife world and companies build almost their entire product line with it. Tops, Esse, Ontario, and Kabar/Becker all use a ton of 1095 but they run it for toughness at around 56-58. This Military in 52100 is gonna be run over 60 and maybe even a couple points over 60. For some reason I think we were told 62-63 but that is off the top of my head so I am gonna have to see if I can find that thread. Anyway, my point is that while this is a carbon steel knife that it will not be like many of the other carbon steel knives out there. Comparing it to Spyderco's Super Blue may be the closest example. Of course we won't really know anything until we get them in hand and see for ourselves.
62-63 would be awesome. I love carbon steels, and even though I do like the new fancy stuff. Some of the simpler ones are still my favorites, super blue, n690co ect.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Evil D wrote:I actually want this knife because the steel isn't "super". I have plenty of those steels and I'll eventually get the S110V Military as well but I want it because it's so different.
Agreed, and the type of razors edge these simpler steels take is awesome.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SteelSpyder wrote:
Evil D wrote:I actually want this knife because the steel isn't "super". I have plenty of those steels and I'll eventually get the S110V Military as well but I want it because it's so different.
Exactly. What both David and yourself said.
Goes without saying, would LOVE to see 52100 offered on the Nilakka :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
SteelSpyder wrote:

Sal if you're reading this, PLEASE make this happen. This is one of the absolute highest on my list of dream knives. I stand by my original statement, there isn't a knife I own that I wouldn't trade for a 52100 Nilakka. Heck, any good carbon steel that will take and hold a very thin edge. I'd even go for AEB-L but I think this knife would look beautiful with a patina.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:Sal if you're reading this, PLEASE make this happen. This is one of the absolute highest on my list of dream knives. I stand by my original statement, there isn't a knife I own that I wouldn't trade for a 52100 Nilakka. Heck, any good carbon steel that will take and hold a very thin edge. I'd even go for AEB-L but I think this knife would look beautiful with a patina.
This with the white G10 seen on the lil' Nilakka seen at the a'dam meet. Home run!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
SteelSpyder wrote:

Sal if you're reading this, PLEASE make this happen. This is one of the absolute highest on my list of dream knives. I stand by my original statement, there isn't a knife I own that I wouldn't trade for a 52100 Nilakka. Heck, any good carbon steel that will take and hold a very thin edge. I'd even go for AEB-L but I think this knife would look beautiful with a patina.
Fully agree. The Nilakka platform is just begging for a carbon steel sprint run. I'd personally go nuts over a gray G10/Cruwear Nilakka. NUTS I tell ya.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sal, a 52100 Nilakka would be just incredible!
I would be in for 2 at least.....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Anyone else have issues with NC's website on Android? I've tried two different browsers and can't get logged in at all. Looks like I may have to do it over the phone if there are issues when these go live.
~David
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is similar to other carbon steels like steelspyder mentioned. O1 is another similar steel that is fairly common. However, this 52100 Military is gonnna be run a little harder than many carbon steels. 1095 is fairly ubiquitous in the knife world and companies build almost their entire product line with it. Tops, Esse, Ontario, and Kabar/Becker all use a ton of 1095 but they run it for toughness at around 56-58. This Military in 52100 is gonna be run over 60 and maybe even a couple points over 60. For some reason I think we were told 62-63 but that is off the top of my head so I am gonna have to see if I can find that thread. Anyway, my point is that while this is a carbon steel knife that it will not be like many of the other carbon steel knives out there. Comparing it to Spyderco's Super Blue may be the closest example. Of course we won't really know anything until we get them in hand and see for ourselves.
Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68581&hilit=52100

62 to 63 is correct. Its on the first page.

Quoted from Sal from that thread:
sal wrote:Thanx for the input. I told Annika to make them 62-63, but I thought to check with my "consultant steel junky's".

Thanx for the input Cliff. Our heat treater is a metallurgist. I'll share your info with him.

I plan to put it in a Millie Jim. Mostly because I wanted one in 52100 as a work knife on the mountain. I figured you and Joe would probably want one as well. So we have 3. We'll make 1000. It was a real PITA to find it rolled to the thickness wanted. It's also a bugger to work with in a production environment. Not too many production folders out there in 52100. I can see why.

sal
Last edited by Bile Bob on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Here we go again... I'm sitting on the edge of my chair in anticipation and my breath is about to get bated at any second :eek: :p ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

KC now says 52100 IN STOCK!!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

MacLaren wrote:KC now says 52100 IN STOCK!!!
It's been 8 minutes, and my order info still says: Ordered: 1, Shipped: 0 :(
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just got off the phone with them, the ones in stock are going to preorders.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:I just got off the phone with them, the ones in stock are going to preorders.
Thanx David.
I was figurin pre orders were already filled, since they showed in stock and ships for free :confused:
I reckon thats just how they do things.
Gotta hope now that we're high enough on the list to get one....
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think I've just gotta hope that they go by the list instead of shipping randomly, since I ordered in mid-November last year :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:I just got off the phone with them, the ones in stock are going to preorders.
Thanx David.
I was figurin pre orders were already filled, since they showed in stock and ships for free :confused:
I reckon thats just how they do things.
Gotta hope now that we're high enough on the list to get one....
The way he explained it is there are two systems they use that are out of sync with each other and the instant they get a shipment the website says in stock. Then they fill the preorders and they're out of stock again. I think this is because of the nature of a preorder, it probably works well with standard production items but since technically the first X amount of batches are already sold through preorders, they're still more or less out of stock since they're all spoken for. I called because I was worried they were going to start taking orders before preorders are filled, but he said they don't do that because it isn't fair for the people who are waiting for preorders. So, the only question is where your preorder stands in line and if they can fill yours with the first shipment. I would assume any orders put in right now while it says in stock will basically be handled as a preorder since they won't be filled until the preorders are. If I find out otherwise, I'm gonna be raising all kinds of **** lol.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

David, I think youll be gtg man. You've had yours in for 6+ months.
Still yet, its another waiting game :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

He couldn't give me an exact number on how many they were shipped but he said he thinks my order will probably go out today.
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:Image
Well said.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

They take the money of my order today!
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo