52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:
Evil D wrote:
xceptnl wrote:just a little more eye candy for you McLaren

For some reason I can never see the pics you post. Not on my phone, not on my home computer. :confused:
See if my original post shows the pics now. Stupid public access with Google photos.

Looks like the original does but the quotes of it don't.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I had to move them to a public folder
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
swigert

Post by swigert »

MacLaren wrote:
swigert wrote:I just pitted about 50 cherries. Will be interesting.
Lol....awesome man. Keep us posted :)
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Evil D wrote:I haven't put it on my Edge Pro but 40 degrees on the Sharpmaker still gives me a very tiny micro bevel so it's at least well under 40 inclusive.
SteelSpyder wrote:On my EdgePro it was about 12* per side. As for thickness behind the edge, I'll try and find some batteries for my calipers sometime soon.
Thank you both for the info!
WireEdge Roger wrote:I think the 204P version is very similar in thinness. Now my thickest are the BBS S90V and Cruwear versions.
If you have an opportunity, I'd really appreciate a spine comparison photo of the Cruwear next to the 52100 or 204p. The bevel on my Cruwear is much wider in appearance than the photos of the 52100. I'm guessing the 52100 is considerably thinner blade stock...and that might just push me over the edge!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hope this pic helps. If anything I think the tip of the 52100 may be a little thinner than my Cruwear, but pretty even with my 204P. Which....btw this 204P is my favorite!
She's a perfect specimen and I cannot tell you how smooth the action is and just how well that G10 feels in the hand!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

MacLaren wrote:Hope this pic helps. If anything I think the tip of the 52100 may be a little thinner than my Cruwear, but pretty even with my 204P. Which....btw this 204P is my favorite!
She's a perfect specimen and I cannot tell you how smooth the action is and just how well that G10 feels in the hand!
Thanks for the pic! The blade stock looks to be about the same thickness on all of them. I wonder why the bevel is so much wider on the Cruwear...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Cruwear must be thicker right above the bevel.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

From eyeballing mine, I think the flat grind is thinner or more acute as it reaches the bevel area. The only models that seemed noticeably thicker behind the edge are the BBS S90V and Cruwear models. At least that's how my examples are.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if this is just variances in manufacturing tolerances or if they were intentionally made thinner.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

My guess would be just adjustment variance, guy probably didn't have his morning cup of java that day.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

farnorthdan wrote:My guess would be just adjustment variance, guy probably didn't have his morning cup of java that day.
But we're talking about an entire run, not just a knife or two. At least I think that's the case.

All the Cruwear Militaries I've seen have a very wide bevel, while all the 52100's have a narrow one.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

ejames13 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:My guess would be just adjustment variance, guy probably didn't have his morning cup of java that day.
But we're talking about an entire run, not just a knife or two. At least I think that's the case.

All the Cruwear Militaries I've seen have a very wide bevel, while all the 52100's have a narrow one.
Maybe you saw all the ones he did that day.. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
ejames13 wrote:

Maybe you saw all the ones he did that day.. :D

Exactly. Manufacturing tolerances can vary quite a bit and still be within that tolerance, it just depends on the company and product being made. Unless you have hundreds of a given knife in front of you to evaluate, it's hard to say what you're really seeing. Even seeing a few dozen pics on the Internet doesn't tell you the whole story of an entire run of a sprint. Even if you saw 300 knives that were all thinner than usual, there's still the other 700 or however many were done in that run that could be typical thickness or even thicker.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

KW has more 52100 in stock.....limited quantities!
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

MacLaren wrote:KW has more 52100 in stock.....limited quantities!
Thank you MacLaren. I was just able to snag one. I appreciate the heads up. Mike
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mike157 wrote:
Thank you MacLaren. I was just able to snag one. I appreciate the heads up. Mike
You got it man. Glad I could help.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

MacLaren wrote:
Mike157 wrote:
You hooked me up too, thanks!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cujobob wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Mike157 wrote:
Awesome! :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

MacLaren wrote:
Cujobob wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Mike157 wrote:
This right here is probably one of my favorite things about our little forum here, I cant even remember how many leads I've gotten here that have made it possible for me to grab hard to snag pieces when they drop. Keep up the good work guys. :) :spyder:

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

farnorthdan wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Cujobob wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Mike157 wrote:
This right here is probably one of my favorite things about our little forum here, I cant even remember how many leads I've gotten here that have made it possible for me to grab hard to snag pieces when they drop. Keep up the good work guys. :) :spyder:
Hah! The very same thing has also caused me to spend a lot of money I never had any intention of spending! :rolleyes: :p