52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Cheddarnut »

Does anyone know if its possible to swap the old domed pivot screw with the new one? I prefer the old one much more aesthetically.
wmcbride

Post by wmcbride »

Measured thickness behind the edge to be 0.025in or so.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Mastiff wrote:I've had spots like those crop up on different knives over the years. I usually take a clean cloth and rub some paste wax in . It gets all the stuff off you can't even see until it's on the cloth and then of course seals the steel and makes it look beautiful. All of around 2 minutes work ( not counting getting out the wax and cloth). I have some knives I've stored for years like that and they have stayed looking shiny and new. Better than new actually. Care must be taken waxing the edges naturally. :)

Joe
Do you use Renaissance, Joe, or some other paste wax... or does it matter?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheddarnut wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to swap the old domed pivot screw with the new one? I prefer the old one much more aesthetically.
Nope. The old domed pivot was actually a pivot pin that went all the way through from the display side of the knife, so it isn't a screw at all. The new pivot has a bushing in the middle that the blade rides on and then a screw on each side.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It's the end of an era...

The Military is dead, long live the Military! :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mine arrived at the Post Office this a.m. :D
Should be able to pick it up momentarily :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just picked it up.
Hands down the best Millie Ive ever owned.
I will definitely be getting a CTS 204P version as well...
swigert

Post by swigert »

MacLaren wrote:Just picked it up.

I own one other military. All black. S30v. It never clicked. I'll sell soon, just haven't got around to it.

I'm wondering if this new military with the cqi will get me more into the design.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I received my 52100 Millie on Wednesday. Still haven't opened it. :o I think I may be having second thoughts on this. My anniversary is on July 4th and my wife wants to get me a new knife. I'm contemplating keeping the Millie *or* my wife states she has another option (but she will not divulge what it is). I would just likely safe-queen this knife anyway... Hmm. Decisions, decisions. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A few pics. I apologize in advance, these are taken from my Android.
swigert

Post by swigert »

MacLaren wrote:A few pics. I apologize in advance, these are taken from my Android.
You going to let yours patina?
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:
Cheddarnut wrote:Does anyone know if its possible to swap the old domed pivot screw with the new one? I prefer the old one much more aesthetically.
Nope. The old domed pivot was actually a pivot pin that went all the way through from the display side of the knife, so it isn't a screw at all. The new pivot has a bushing in the middle that the blade rides on and then a screw on each side.
Thanks D, i hope the functionality is worth the hit it took on looks.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

swigert wrote:
MacLaren wrote:A few pics. I apologize in advance, these are taken from my Android.
You know....Im just gonna hang tight and see what happens with my pre order from KC first.
Just thinkin Id like to have a back up in this model to keep. If the KC pre order falls thru I may just let this one go. The next one I get will be a 204P version. I really love the new design of the Military.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

MacLaren wrote:
swigert wrote:
You know....Im just gonna hang tight and see what happens with my pre order from KC first.
Just thinkin Id like to have a back up in this model to keep. If the KC pre order falls thru I may just let this one go. The next one I get will be a 204P version. I really love the new design of the Military.
When did you place your pre-order with KC Paul?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The Mastiff wrote:
I'll keep you posted.
Sounds good Dan. I'll make sure to log in and check e mails more often.

Joe
Hey Joe, I sent a PM, is your box full?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hey Joe, I sent a PM, is your box full?
Just got it Dan. Reply is enroute.

Joe
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
swigert wrote:
When did you place your pre-order with KC Paul?
Dan, it was later than I had previously thought.
I pre ordered with KC on 2-18-16.
Im thinkin they may very well likely come thru. And I hope so.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Do you use Renaissance, Joe, or some other paste wax... or does it matter?
I use Renn wax. It is a known product and I order a can every 2-3 years along with a knife. I think there would be lots of high quality paste wax but I just don't know which ones I'd like. I do have another wax for knives. Liquid wax that works well going on rough surfaces like grips but it sure doesn't pretty up or micropolish the steel like Renn wax.

Joe
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Now is the time to order a CTS-204P Millie, KW is throwing in a free 20 oz Yeti Rambler with it if you buy it this week. I couldn't help myself, I ordered a backup to my initial 204P Millie. You know, as a consolation prize since so far I haven't been able to snag a 2nd 52100 Millie.

I just wish I had more stuff that needed cutting, most of my daily needs could really be handled by my 1" blade Victorinox Classic :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

rodloos wrote:
Now is the time to order a CTS-204P Millie, KW is throwing in a free 20 oz Yeti Rambler with it if you buy it this week. I couldn't help myself, I ordered a backup to my initial 204P Millie. You know, as a consolation prize since so far I haven't been able to snag a 2nd 52100 Millie.

I just wish I had more stuff that needed cutting, most of my daily needs could really be handled by my 1" blade Victorinox Classic :).
Wow! Thats fantastic :)