52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Evil D »

First one came in from SSK today. I haven't had time to do much beyond fondle it and stick it in my pocket but lockup is perfect, centering is perfect, and it drops closed with gravity. Whatever they did with this new pivot it's already impressive. It also felt very sharp and I've come to really love peel ply.

All that aside I did notice some chipping in the CF around the lanyard on one side. Anyone else have that issue?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Here is a sharpening and first impressions review from Michael Christy (not sure if he is a member here):

https://youtu.be/bVOYOzHN1VQ

He knows how to get screaming sharp edges. Interesting comments about corrosion resistance too, but we know this already... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
farnorthdan

Re: 52100 Military, what your plans?

Post by farnorthdan »

SSK came today, definitely one of the nicest Military's I've received to date, perfect all the way around, like others have already said, very lite weight, love the CF on this one.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Oh boy, can't wait 'til mine arrives...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Brock O Lee wrote:Here is a sharpening and first impressions review from Michael Christy (not sure if he is a member here):

He knows how to get screaming sharp edges. Interesting comments about corrosion resistance too, but we know this already... :)
I'm fascinated by this guys sharpening technique. How does he get such good results sharpening by hand while the stone is held in he other? I mean, how can he keep the angle so precise while doing it that way?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:Here is a sharpening and first impressions review from Michael Christy (not sure if he is a member here):

I'm fascinated by this guys sharpening technique. How does he get such good results sharpening by hand while the stone is held in he other? I mean, how can he keep the angle so precise while doing it that way?
It takes practice. Not to sound all hokey and stuff, but as you keep doing it you learn how the stone sounds when it is actually hitting the apex, or just the bevel, as well as how it feels. I don't sharpen the exact way as Michael, I hold the stone in my off hand. Some people lay the stone on a table, but that feels too strange to me.

When I feel like really quickly touching stuff up I just use my trusty sharp maker :D .
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Kind of surprised at how quickly he said it got corrosion. I knew these weren't stainless but wow. Starting to think this might not be for me since corrosion is not something I would prefer happening to this knife. I know some love a patina but not my cup of tea. I was under the impression that if you kept it wiped down and oiled it would not be a problem, but he hadn't even used the knife and it got corrosion overnight?

On a positive note I was not aware the handle was solid CF. he said it was not an overlay over G10. I totally misunderstood that about the handles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Handles are indeed solid CF, that's why I love peel ply so much.

I used mine last night to slice some lemons...no patina at all. I rinsed it off and dried it, no rust or patina this morning. I carried it all day yesterday and I was sweating my butt off and didn't find any rust, but it did have whatever oil coating they gave it from the factory. I think if you kept it coated with Tuf Glide you could probably avoid patina and rust in all but the worst rust prone climates.
~David
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Good to know. Thanks for the anecdotal evidence. I will indeed be keeping it tufglided.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thing with rust is time. You can get things wet, you just can't leave them wet. Moisture isn't always just water or the obvious things, it's also in the air and in your clothes/pockets on a hot day. You need to create a barrier between that moisture and the steel, be it with Tuf Glide type products or simple mineral oil or Vaseline. The parts I'm most worried about are the pivot and lock face, so I gave those spots a generous coating of Tuf Glide last night and let it dry.

But, I do expect rust and patina if I carry this one at work. One day in the rain was enough to make S30V rust, which is light years ahead of 52100 in corrosion resistance. I'm gonna get some more lemon and other typical patina inducing foods and try to work on that patina before I let take it out to work with me.
~David
wmcbride

Post by wmcbride »

Ate a couple of apple with mine. Patina is coming along nicely, not dissimilar to superblue, in my experience, as I have a well worn in 3.5 Caly in Superblue.

This knife takes a very keen edge with very little effort. Thanks Sal (for kicking this project off and blessing it) and give your metallurgist a high five. I have Winkler Field Knife in 52100, that is a great working piece and this feels very similar to sharpen. I'll have to report back on edge retention.

The build quality is fantastic. This Is a great user that gives tremendous pride of ownership.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

wmcbride wrote:Ate a couple of apple with mine. Patina is coming along nicely, not dissimilar to superblue, in my experience, as I have a well worn in 3.5 Caly in Superblue.

This knife takes a very keen edge with very little effort. Thanks Sal (for kicking this project off and blessing it) and give your metallurgist a high five. I have Winkler Field Knife in 52100, that is a great working piece and this feels very similar to sharpen. I'll have to report back on edge retention.

The build quality is fantastic. This Is a great user that gives tremendous pride of ownership.
Feel free to post some pics of the blade. That goes for the rest of you too!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

Ok I need to find one this week....
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Evil D wrote:Handles are indeed solid CF, that's why I love peel ply so much.

I used mine last night to slice some lemons...no patina at all. I rinsed it off and dried it, no rust or patina this morning. I carried it all day yesterday and I was sweating my butt off and didn't find any rust, but it did have whatever oil coating they gave it from the factory. I think if you kept it coated with Tuf Glide you could probably avoid patina and rust in all but the worst rust prone climates.
Frog lube for me..... ive carried mine since i recieved it. No rust.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

For those trying to prevent rust or patina.... there isn't a better product than Eezox. Nothing else even comes remotely close to it.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have been using mine the last couple days. The build quality on this blade is perfect. I was thinking of putting some Oxpho Blue or Dicropan T-4 from Brownells on mine anyone tried this?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

wmcbride wrote:Ate a couple of apple with mine. Patina is coming along nicely, not dissimilar to superblue, in my experience, as I have a well worn in 3.5 Caly in Superblue.

Apples are great for patina. The way I figure it, if Ed Fowler only uses this steel, and he makes high performance knives, these should be decent.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Archimedes wrote:I have been using mine the last couple days. The build quality on this blade is perfect. I was thinking of putting some Oxpho Blue or Dicropan T-4 from Brownells on mine anyone tried this?

I'd be hesitant..most gun bluing scratches fairly easily. I think you'd end up scratching it off the blade every time you use it.
~David
BTG

Post by BTG »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:
As for my 52100, the USPS tracking says it was picked up in Fredericksburg two days ago and that's still all it says. Apparently if was sucked into a black hole, or maybe the postman took a liking to it :(

That's how my last few have been, shows picked up, and the nothing till it got to my local PO....usually shows up on 2nd day after pick up for bough.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure if anyone caught me mentioning this since nobody commented. Hopefully I'm the only one with this issue, but there are some chips around the lanyard tube on mine. The other side is perfect.

~David