52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Evil D »

Those $275 prices seem high right now but once they're gone people will be wishing they could get them for that. I didn't want to pay what I did for one from SSK but I figured it's smarter to eat $30 now than possibly miss out and end up caving on a price somewhere well North of $300 later. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one list for 2x MSRP in the long run.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

$30 would not be to bad, but my problem was that it being over $200 was already stressing my budget. So, anything more is collapsing it. SSK's price was just the last straw in a strained monetary policy. : )

If I can get it $225 to my door I will buy it, otherwise I will move on. i will just grab an s110v if they ever land. Anyone know when they are supposed to drop?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:Those $275 prices seem high right now but once they're gone people will be wishing they could get them for that. I didn't want to pay what I did for one from SSK but I figured it's smarter to eat $30 now than possibly miss out and end up caving on a price somewhere well North of $300 later. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one list for 2x MSRP in the long run.
This is what I call my pizza argument. I used it when I came in late to the table when the Green 204P PM2 dropped. I was willing to pay up to $200, and they appeared to be all gone but I got a tip from a forumite that Country Knives had a CC numbered one for $236 shipped. I thought: years later I would say I missed out on that knife over the price of a pizza dinner. So I grabbed it. Those were exciting times. Spydies win over pizza every time :D

As for my 52100, the USPS tracking says it was picked up in Fredericksburg two days ago and that's still all it says. Apparently if was sucked into a black hole, or maybe the postman took a liking to it :(
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Got mine today! Very nice and maybe just a hair lighter than the KW 204P Military. I've already sliced up tomatoes and onions for lunch wraps :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DougC-3 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Those $275 prices seem high right now but once they're gone people will be wishing they could get them for that. I didn't want to pay what I did for one from SSK but I figured it's smarter to eat $30 now than possibly miss out and end up caving on a price somewhere well North of $300 later. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one list for 2x MSRP in the long run.
This is what I call my pizza argument. I used it when I came in late to the table when the Green 204P PM2 dropped. I was willing to pay up to $200, and they appeared to be all gone but I got a tip from a forumite that Country Knives had a CC numbered one for $236 shipped. I thought: years later I would say I missed out on that knife over the price of a pizza dinner. So I grabbed it. Those were exciting times. Spydies win over pizza every time :D

As for my 52100, the USPS tracking says it was picked up in Fredericksburg two days ago and that's still all it says. Apparently if was sucked into a black hole, or maybe the postman took a liking to it :(

That's how I justify things. That just means I have to trim back $30 from somewhere which won't be too hard. Like you said years from now that money won't matter and I'll still have the knife. I won't even remember eating the pizza.

USPS say mine will be here Saturday but I've known their shipping goals to be a day or so off so I don't expect to see it until Monday.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yep, didnt even bat an eye when Kenny posted up some, not worth risking missing out on this one over $30.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Extremely disappointed in Oso Grande. Have called and left message twice and emailed 3x and not a peep from them on my order. That is piss poor service. If I can get this knife from them I will take it but won't be back.
Donut

Post by Donut »

2011BLDR wrote:
Donut wrote:Did we ever hear why this one got Carbon Fiber scales?

All the previous knives with Carbon Fiber scales have been some of the best of the super steels. As far as I know, 52100 isn't in that class of steel.
No I dont agree.
The first CF Sprint Military was with S30V as a trial run befor that steel was made standard production replacing S60V ... you can argue witch of the 2 is more of a "super" steel.
The second CF Sprint was in BG42 a Ball Bering steel just like 52100 but stainless, don't think meany would class it as a "super steel" although I like it better than S90V & XHP..
The other 2 CF sprints were in S90V &M390..
Additionally most would place XHP & CPM crueware in the Super steel category and they were G10
The blue S90V one was also G-10, but that was an exclusive. I guess it's sort of random.

But, at either rate, I am used to seeing the $50 extra for Carbon Fiber scales go along with a steel that is worth the extra price. I guess I'm just not convinced that 52100 is worth a lot of extra money.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Got mine today! Very nice and maybe just a hair lighter than the KW 204P Military. I've already sliced up tomatoes and onions for lunch wraps :D
Ok.....which slices better outta the box? The CTS-204P or the 52100? And which do you like better oveall??
Im thinkin the 52100 would be better but Id also bet that 204p Millie aint no slouch either.
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

Spideyhole wrote:Extremely disappointed in Oso Grande. Have called and left message twice and emailed 3x and not a peep from them on my order. That is piss poor service. If I can get this knife from them I will take it but won't be back.
+1
Probably like you, I ordered this from them assuming it was in stock because it doesn't say otherwise. Not a word from them..
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Malfeasant wrote:
Spideyhole wrote:Extremely disappointed in Oso Grande. Have called and left message twice and emailed 3x and not a peep from them on my order. That is piss poor service. If I can get this knife from them I will take it but won't be back.
+1
Probably like you, I ordered this from them assuming it was in stock because it doesn't say otherwise. Not a word from them..
I hear ya fellas. The very least they could do is tell ya whether your gonna get one or not...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've spent too many years in customer service. If I can't at least get some communication, you won't get my business. I know everyone is busy and some places have much less man power than others, but there has to be some kind of middle ground.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Had the same thing happen to me at Oso with the S110V PM2 a while back, canceled the order once i found out they were not in stock. Haven't even considered that vendor since. Too many other great ones out there.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
2011BLDR

Post by 2011BLDR »

Donut wrote:
2011BLDR wrote:
Donut wrote:Did we ever hear why this one got Carbon Fiber scales?

All the previous knives with Carbon Fiber scales have been some of the best of the super steels. As far as I know, 52100 isn't in that class of steel.
No I dont agree.
The first CF Sprint Military was with S30V as a trial run befor that steel was made standard production replacing S60V ... you can argue witch of the 2 is more of a "super" steel.
The second CF Sprint was in BG42 a Ball Bering steel just like 52100 but stainless, don't think meany would class it as a "super steel" although I like it better than S90V & XHP..
The other 2 CF sprints were in S90V &M390..
Additionally most would place XHP & CPM crueware in the Super steel category and they were G10
The blue S90V one was also G-10, but that was an exclusive. I guess it's sort of random.

But, at either rate, I am used to seeing the $50 extra for Carbon Fiber scales go along with a steel that is worth the extra price. I guess I'm just not convinced that 52100 is worth a lot of extra money.
The pairing of steel and handle material in the Military sprints is random and to the specification of the commissioner on the exclusives.

The blue S90V G-10 exclusive has an excellent fit and finish. It is too bad that many passed on it, of my three S90V sprints/ exclusives (CF Military & CF Manix2 being the other 2) it is the best piece of S90V out of the 3. I even sent the CF Military back for inspection, it just doesn’t have the edge that either the Manix or the Blue G10 has and won’t keep what it has vary long.

What you are seeing is a combined effect of the Sprint / Exclusive buying, flipping frenzy and MAP being introduced. The Green 204P is not priced at MAP ( - 40% of MSRP) it is at – 26% of MSRP. You can’t blame the commissioner of an exclusive as they pay for the run up front so why should they sell at MAP and watch them flip on the secondary, some times as soon as the customers have a tracking # in hand. Yes many of our favorite places had the 52100 at MAP and sold their expected quantity in minutes, some put a small premium on top of MAP and some want MSRP.

Maybe you should read back in this and the linked threads on how difficult finding the correct stock thickness and how difficult 52100 is to work with in production.

I have only had mine a couple of days but I already prefer it to S30V, S90V & XHP
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Got mine today! Very nice and maybe just a hair lighter than the KW 204P Military. I've already sliced up tomatoes and onions for lunch wraps :D
Would love to see your patina pics tomorrow!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Just used it for dinner, I'm getting a few darker splotches, but it's nothing like Super Blue's rapid patina!
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Amazon now has these for $249 plus $6 shipping from Stealth Rabbit if anyone interested. Said they had like 4 of them 1 minute ago.

Amazon's return policy is impeccable. No questions asked if knife not perfect, but I bet with this model there are no 'seconds' and you will be pleased.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Just back ordered 1 from optics planet, with the 10% of coupon it came out to $188 shipped, we'll see if they actually get any on or not.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

Spideyhole wrote:Amazon now has these for $249 plus $6 shipping from Stealth Rabbit if anyone interested. Said they had like 4 of them 1 minute ago.

Amazon's return policy is impeccable. No questions asked if knife not perfect, but I bet with this model there are no 'seconds' and you will be pleased.

It says they have 9 left as of a minute ago. They now are $249.95 and free shipping. Grab em while ya can!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Got mine today and already put it to work on a fence repair after a huge storm this morning. Perfect job for 52100. It will get a workout this weekend for sure, weather permitting. Out of box sharpness was great, as expected, blade perfectly centered, solid lockup, it just looks fantastic. I really like spyderco's peel-ply CF scales, but I like the G10 too. CF is noticeably lighter and Sal says it is more stable than G10 or micarta. Whatever, I like it. I would not pay extra for it over G10, but have no issues with using it and paying more if that is what a knife I want comes with. Not a fan of metal handles (too cold in winter, titanium is too heavy and often set up with RIL - not a fan, steel is slick and even heavier), so I'm happy with the CF.
It's a winner and glad I was able to snag one.