Well, I invested in a Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boomstick

Well, I invested in a Sharpmaker

Post by Boomstick »

I have Arkansas stones of medium and fine grit, but freehanding on those things is a technique that I simply could NOT get down, no matter how many times I tried. I always tried it on cheaper knives like knockoff Cases, because I didn't want to ruin the edges and damage the blades on my nicer ones like my Spydercos, My ZT0350, some of my Bucks, and especially my handmade custom fixed blade. My Spydercos are still razor sharp, as the PM2 and the S30V seems like it holds that edge forever, and the Manix 2 is only a couple days out of the box (and in my pocket now as I type this). But I do own several knives that I would love to get to hair popping sharpness, especially the handmade custom, which honestly doesn't have much of an edge on it, though it is built beautifully.

After reading so many good things about the Sharpmaker, and seeing its ease of use for freehanding whetstone ignoramuses like myself, decided to order one, along with 2 ultra fine stones to go with it. I should be using this thing constantly, as a lot of the kitchen cutlery we have is starting to lose some of its edge, and we have a Henckels set for those purposes. Basically just having to share that I've added yet another Spyderco product to the growing stable. :D
Evil D

Re: Well, I invested in a Sharpmaker

Post by Evil D »

I was skeptical but I'm a believer now and I use it for all my routine sharpening. I still use my Edge Pro for reprofiling bevels but the Sharpmaker gets used pretty much daily for keeping my blades sharp.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

For a total reprofile, yeah, I can see that. Seems like the medium stones that come with the Sharpmaker would take a LOT of work to get that done. But for maintaining an edge, or touching a blade up? Seems like this is the easiest, most time efficient way to get that done since I'm awful at free handing on an Arkansas stone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Freehand definitely has a place and it's a skill that I think every outdoors kind of guy should have but for urban EDC knives a Sharpmaker is irreplaceable. I've gotten to the point that the edges I get off my SM are actually sharper than what I can get on the Edge Pro. There's just something about making a couple swipes on the ultra fine rods, regardless of what the final grit that I sharpen the edge at, that just cleans up the edge and makes it stupid sharp. Even when I sharpen an edge to 400 grit, I'll make a couple extremely light passes on the ultra fine rods to micro bevel them and it still leaves the edge toothy but seems to refine the edge that extra bit.
~David
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

Also, sort off topic, but two observations:

1) If "Evil D" is in reference to the Evil Dead movies, then you should know where my forum name originates from; :D
2) I am also located in Kentucky, just a few miles south of Lexington.

Back on topic, I am glad that my purchase seems to be validated. I was looking for something that I could use to quickly and easily put extremely sharp edges on my knives with, and this seems to be the right tool for the job.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Boomstick wrote:For a total reprofile, yeah, I can see that. Seems like the medium stones that come with the Sharpmaker would take a LOT of work to get that done. But for maintaining an edge, or touching a blade up? Seems like this is the easiest, most time efficient way to get that done since I'm awful at free handing on an Arkansas stone.
Yes sir, I believe you are right on with that assessment.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Boomstick wrote:Also, sort off topic, but two observations:

1) If "Evil D" is in reference to the Evil Dead movies, then you should know where my forum name originates from; :D
2) I am also located in Kentucky, just a few miles south of Lexington.

Back on topic, I am glad that my purchase seems to be validated. I was looking for something that I could use to quickly and easily put extremely sharp edges on my knives with, and this seems to be the right tool for the job.

It's an old high school nickname that kinda stuck with me. My name's David and I used to wear nothing but black and had big sideburns and people said I looked like Glenn Danzig and people started calling me Evil D. But I'm also a big fan of the Evil Dead movies so yeah it can work that way too :p

"Now, I swear....the next one of you primates even touches me..."

Lexington is a bit of a drive for me (2ish hours or so) but I do make it a point to hit up the range at Bud's every time I'm down that way. I have a brother-in-law in Berea.
~David
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

I live just north of Berea in Richmond. Small world. lol
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I think you will be very happy with your new investment boomstick, like D I tend to use my edge pro for heavy work but for maintaining you just can't beat yhe SM,

Just the other night I was trying to raise a burr with the SM medium rods on one of my HAP's and was having a hard time and didn't feel like breaking out the EP so used the diamond rods instead, I really need to use them more often, they worked great for raising a burr fast.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
awa54

Post by awa54 »

farnorthdan wrote:I think you will be very happy with your new investment boomstick, like D I tend to use my edge pro for heavy work but for maintaining you just can't beat yhe SM,

Just the other night I was trying to raise a burr with the SM medium rods on one of my HAP's and was having a hard time and didn't feel like breaking out the EP so used the diamond rods instead, I really need to use them more often, they worked great for raising a burr fast.
I thought that the SM would be a touch-up only tool for me (I freehand fairly well), but simple reprofiles and bevel setting are readily done with the CBN rods. Major reworks and repairs are still a bench stone task, but a surprising amount of stock removal can be done with the Sharpmaker!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

awa54 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I think you will be very happy with your new investment boomstick, like D I tend to use my edge pro for heavy work but for maintaining you just can't beat yhe SM,

I thought that the SM would be a touch-up only tool for me (I freehand fairly well), but simple reprofiles and bevel setting are readily done with the CBN rods. Major reworks and repairs are still a bench stone task, but a surprising amount of stock removal can be done with the Sharpmaker!

I agree. If I need to remove a lot of metal I will use a diamond bench stone and freehand the bevel to just under 15 dps. From there I can quickly clean up the main bevel and get it near perfect with the diamond rods at 30 degrees. For jobs that require less stock removal, I skip the bench stones altogether and just reset the bevel with the diamond rods at 30.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The SM is an excellent too. Watch the video a few times (vintage 80's) and keep your focus on vertical.

The key thing is making sure you're catching the edge. As always I recommend a loupe and using a sharpie to know what is happening at the edge.

Charlie