Any chance of a Jess Horn throwback model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Any chance of a Jess Horn throwback model?

Post by tvenuto »

I saw today in the Spyderco Byte that Jess Horn passed away. Spyderco did the Memory in honor of Centofante, and it had elements of previous collaborations that Spyderco did with him. I'd like to see something in the vein of the C27 (with a hole), perhaps with bolsters and some sort of natural material, or smooth material. Any chance of this happening? Any interest?
Chinook3

Re: Any chance of a Jess Horn throwback model?

Post by Chinook3 »

:)
tvenuto wrote:I saw today in the Spyderco Byte that Jess Horn passed away. Spyderco did the Memory in honor of Centofante, and it had elements of previous collaborations that Spyderco did with him. I'd like to see something in the vein of the C27 (with a hole), perhaps with bolsters and some sort of natural material, or smooth material. Any chance of this happening? Any interest?
Ditto. Clean bolsters with nice stag would be nice.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd prefer if they kept the trapezoidal depressions in the blade, omitted the clip, and used stag or stabilized wood for the scales. I'd definitely would be game for one or two like that. Only question would be whether Mr. Horn's estate would allow it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:I'd prefer if they kept the trapezoidal depressions in the blade, omitted the clip, and used stag.........I'd definitely would be game for one or two like that. Only question would be whether Mr. Horn's estate would allow it.
This will work for me. Stag jigged bone will be great. Less expensive than stag and still looks great. Many stabilized woods will fine. But i would hate to see any holes or screws on bolsters or scales
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:I'd prefer if they kept the trapezoidal depressions in the blade, omitted the clip, and used stag or stabilized wood for the scales. I'd definitely would be game for one or two like that. Only question would be whether Mr. Horn's estate would allow it.
I actually would as well, definitely a unique feature of the model. However, being a trademark, it needs to be there in some form.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Deacon wrote:I'd prefer if they kept the trapezoidal depressions in the blade, omitted the clip, and used stag or stabilized wood for the scales. I'd definitely would be game for one or two like that. Only question would be whether Mr. Horn's estate would allow it.
Exactly. I would be in for one or two like this as well. Beautiful knife. Didn't you have your clip holes filled on one?....or was that a Kopa?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Second only to the 25 year anniversary Delica the Jess Horn is a gorgeous knife.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tvenuto wrote:
I actually would as well, definitely a unique feature of the model. However, being a trademark, it needs to be there in some form.
Not really. From a legal standpoint a company does not have to use every single one of its trademarks on every product it produced. Not every Chevy built since they started using the "bowtie" emblem has one, but it's still a Chevrolet trademark. Petty sure the "coke bottle" shape is still a Coca-Cola trademark, even though only a very small percentage of their total production these days is now packaged in bottles of that shape.

David Lowry wrote:
Exactly. I would be in for one or two like this as well. Beautiful knife. Didn't you have your clip holes filled on one?....or was that a Kopa?
That was a Kopa, David. Two Kopas actually, a cocobolo and a jigged bone. Over the years I've been sorely tempted to find out what driver is correct for the C27 clip screws and take one off, with the thought of filling in the holes. Fear of finding the same type mutilation of the bolster found under the Kopa's clip has kept me from doing it. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
v8r

Post by v8r »

Maybe a touch larger with the same opening notch and leave the clip. Don't care to dig in my pocket for a knife. Throw on some dark green polished G10 or linen micarta
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I would be totally on board with a Jess Horn tribute knife. In the style which others have suggested.

I actually asked for a more traditional spyderco, but, no one thought it a good idea.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Let's add some pics of the C27.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Gorgeous knife. Probably best looking Spydie ever. Without clip it can be a real kill.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The Deacon wrote:Over the years I've been sorely tempted to find out what driver is correct for the C27 clip screws and take one off, with the thought of filling in the holes. Fear of finding the same type mutilation of the bolster found under the Kopa's clip has kept me from doing it. :o
Hi Paul,

at least my sample has metric hex screws with the rather uncommon M 1,3 fitting = 1.3 mm size.
You can purchase a matching hex driver made by Wiha here in Germany, don't know if it's available in the US.

Marcus
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I totally agree with "Tvenuto" that it would be great to do another one of his models in his memory. It was one of the Jess Horn models that really caught my eye back in the late 90s and got me taking a closer look at the entire Spyderco line up.

I remember when ZDP-189 made it's debut back in the mid 2000 decade>> they introduced that Burgundy Jess Horn model and it was a modest success but did turn out to be a great EDC blade. Although I did like the Caly Jr. ZDP just a bit better but it was a great classic model none the less.

I would like to see a commemorative Jess Horn model with either Micarta or Titanium scales if it were up to me.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Gorgeous knife. Probably best looking Spydie ever. Without clip it can be a real kill.
+1000. Very well said, Roman. I've always loved the graceful beauty of the original C27 Horn model and would love to see a comeback model. Without a clip would be a home run in my book as well. :)

JD Spydo wrote:I totally agree with "Tvenuto" that it would be great to do another one of his models in his memory. It was one of the Jess Horn models that really caught my eye back in the late 90s and got me taking a closer look at the entire Spyderco line up.

I remember when ZDP-189 made it's debut back in the mid 2000 decade>> they introduced that Burgundy Jess Horn model and it was a modest success but did turn out to be a great EDC blade. Although I did like the Caly Jr. ZDP just a bit better but it was a great classic model none the less.

I would like to see a commemorative Jess Horn model with either Micarta or Titanium scales if it were up to me.
Joe,
Micarta and Ti would be amazing. :D I would even like to see satin Ti bolsters and liners and high polished black G-10 (as seen on the Hungarian Folder). No clip. I would seriously buy several of these, no doubt about it. For blade steel, VG-10 would be fine, but I would be tickled to see M4. Now, if this is to be a tribute model, why not offer it in 52100? :D :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No Spydernut my friend I won't be content with just VG-10 >> and I don't mean that in a "mean-spirited way at all>> i just want to see him remembered better than that. No for a commemorative of this caliber I think it's only fitting to honor Mr. Jess Horn with one of the supersteels just like they did with the ZDP-189 about a decade ago. Oh sure I would live with it and probably get one myself but I much, much rather they do it in an elite type model>> If they would do one with a high grade Micarta or titanium then it would be apropos to add a super blade steel. At least do it in either XHP or M390 but I would rather see it done in something like CPM 10V or maybe CTS-204P.

But I'll let the rest of you all comment on that and see what the consensus is. No Jess Horn was one of the pioneer designers that helped catapult Spyderco to stardom so let's show his family some appreciation ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Great pictures Marcus, thanx.

We have plans for a Jess Horn "tribute" pc, but it wouldn't be like the C27. The quality of that model could only have been produced by the Grandfather who passed several years ago. The son had a stroke a while back so he's not working and the grandson does not have, at this time, the skills to make a C27.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for the information on this, Sal. The confirmation of a Horn Tribute model will certainly whet our collective appetites. :) Would you consider this model for Taichung?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I want to thank you as well Mr. Glesser because like I said those Jess Horn models do have a special sentimental place in my love for Spyderco's great collaborations. That model with the White Micarta was one of the coolest ever IMO and I hope you might consider using White Micarta for the tribute blade. And it would make sense to use a premium blade steel IMO. But I know you guys will put together something great I'm sure of it.

I can't remember the exact model number of the one with White Micarta and it may have been one of those A.G. Russell knives>> I'm sure the Deacon will chime in with the right number.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is exciting. This as well as a Barlow coming! Woot! Woot!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?