Spyderedged EDCs: Your Pick? And Why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderedged EDCs: Your Pick? And Why?

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the recent chatting we've had concerning what an ideal EDC knife should be I think it's high time we give equal time to the great Spyderedged blades that just might be excellent EDC folders and/or fixed blades. Spyderco has blessed us with some really nice fully serrated folders with their patented Spyderedge and I know I'm not the only one who EDCs one.

Most of the time I have an SE Spyderco Hawkbill folder as a companion blade to my PE folder and I use it a lot. I also love me full SE Native and find it takes on brutal jobs and gets them done nicely. So for those of you who do use Spyderedged folders or fixed blades in your daily routine then tell us which one if your favorite and why? And what Spyderco models do you wish were available in Spyderedge?
Kirko

Re: Spyderedged EDCs: Your Pick? And Why?

Post by Kirko »

Delica 4 full serrated edge , just dump it in my pocket , perfect !
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I like a SE hawk ill lady bug or a pacific salt if I am EDCing SE.
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

I too have a delica 4. I honestly thought I'd like Spyderedge knives more. But I don't use them as often as I first thought.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I carry an SE EDC knife everyday as a companion for my PE and my traditional slip joint carry. For the last months Ive really been trying to rotate through all of my SE. The favorites and those that win the most pocket time are:

SE Caly Jr
SE Caly 3
SE lil matriarch
SE Native
SE Jess Horn
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Old school beauty :cool: SS SE Police triggered the spydermania for me :spyder: The translucent grip tape was my idea of increased traction.

JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I got to say serrated enduras

I've been ripping the world apart with one since the 90s

One of the best knives made. Ever

Zdp189 for the last 5 years or so

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can only speak on what I've owned which isn't really all that much, but the one thing I've learned is that the same traits that make a PE blade perform well also apply to SE. The actual edge is only part of the equation, you still need a blade grind that will slice efficiently. Because of that I've mostly avoided all the hollow/saber ground SE blades because of what I know about PE blades of the same grind. I prefer FFG blades for my SE knives, so my favorites are the Stretch and Military. The Dragonfly can cheat it's way in despite having a hollow grind because it's fairly high on the blade and the blade is pretty thin.

But, all in all my Stretch is a pretty amazing performer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Caly SE. Punches waaaaay above its wieght.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Kirko wrote:Delica 4 full serrated edge , just dump it in my pocket , perfect !

Agreed! Small, sleek, and capable. Love me some stainless.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I can only speak on what I've owned which isn't really all that much, but the one thing I've learned is that the same traits that make a PE blade perform well also apply to SE. The actual edge is only part of the equation, you still need a blade grind that will slice efficiently. Because of that I've mostly avoided all the hollow/saber ground SE blades because of what I know about PE blades of the same grind. I prefer FFG blades for my SE knives, so my favorites are the Stretch and Military. The Dragonfly can cheat it's way in despite having a hollow grind because it's fairly high on the blade and the blade is pretty thin.

Interesting that you mention Full Flat Grind Spyderedged blades because I do somewhat agree with that. Because when I had one of the original C-54 big Calypso models in Spyderedge I was absolutely amazed at how well it cut. At the time I kind of attributed the longer blade as being one of the main proponents that gave it the cutting power it obviously had>> but I'm certainly going to take a second look and do a comparison between my Hollow Grind & Sabre Grind serrated Spyders just to see the comparison.

Now I will take issue in the sector of hawkbills because I think the way those blades work I pretty much believe that a Hollow Grind performs well with that design. I'm also amazed at how many of you like the Delica 4 SE. It makes me wonder what the current Endura SE is like.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:I can only speak on what I've owned which isn't really all that much, but the one thing I've learned is that the same traits that make a PE blade perform well also apply to SE. The actual edge is only part of the equation, you still need a blade grind that will slice efficiently. Because of that I've mostly avoided all the hollow/saber ground SE blades because of what I know about PE blades of the same grind. I prefer FFG blades for my SE knives, so my favorites are the Stretch and Military. The Dragonfly can cheat it's way in despite having a hollow grind because it's fairly high on the blade and the blade is pretty thin.

Interesting that you mention Full Flat Grind Spyderedged blades because I do somewhat agree with that. Because when I had one of the original C-54 big Calypso models in Spyderedge I was absolutely amazed at how well it cut. At the time I kind of attributed the longer blade as being one of the main proponents that gave it the cutting power it obviously had>> but I'm certainly going to take a second look and do a comparison between my Hollow Grind & Sabre Grind serrated Spyders just to see the comparison.

Now I will take issue in the sector of hawkbills because I think the way those blades work I pretty much believe that a Hollow Grind performs well with that design. I'm also amazed at how many of you like the Delica 4 SE. It makes me wonder what the current Endura SE is like.

The thing to think about with serrations is how thin the actual edge is. I believe most come in at what equals about 20 degrees inclusive (someone can correct me on that) since you have such a steep angle on the serrations and then a flat bevel on the other side. So, it depends on the kinds of material you're cutting, but if you wanna do an easy test just go get some thick double wall corrugated box and cut through it with a FFG and a hollow grind and see which one binds up the least.

The reason I like the Stretch so much for this is because it's also a 3mm blade stock with a pretty aggressive distal taper so most of the blade is far less than 3mm thick which makes it a good slicer regardless of the edge style. So, because of that the Caly 3 and Calypsos are also going to be excellent slicers, and if the fully serrated Caly 3 is ground the same as the PE version then that knife is probably a monster in SE because the PE version is an amazing slicer. Most people don't consider blade grinds when talking about serrations but it's an element that is always there no matter what the edge looks like and better blade grind geometry will always make a better performing knife. It may not matter to a person who cuts rope all the time, but for me I used to cut a lot of cardboard so slicing geometry was very important.
~David
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Military.

When I want SE more is almost always better.

On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Military.

When I want SE more is almost always better.
Glad you mentioned the full Spyderedged Military model HarleyX because it falls in line with what EVIL D just stated about full flat grinds. And I'm beginning to agree with him that he's on to something probably few have considered in the past. I dearly miss my old 440V SE Military because it truly was a crocidile and a chain saw of a blade and I"m sure you probably agree with that HarleyX.

Yeah I think the blade grind definitely plays a role in overall performance. But also there is another factor many are overlooking and that is the type of serration pattern as well as what materials do you cut the most. Because my fully serrated AUS-8 Catcherman from years gone by is about as aggressive of a cutter as anything I've ever had and it's a hollow grind. But the serration pattern on the AUS-8 Catcherman is completely different than anything I've ever used from Spyderco.

But I'm definitely going to check out full flat grind SE Spyders because I do indeed believe EVIL D is on to something.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Catcherman is also only 1.8mm thick, so even being a hollow grind the blade is so thin that there's not much of a door stop wedging effect when slicing through things. I don't mind the hollow grind on my Centofante 4 because the blade is also thinner than most, same as with the Dragonfly Salt.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Ladybug SE works very well for me. It's like carrying a mini buzz saw in your pocket. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say if you want more... the G-10 Police. It's FFG, too.

Now, SE gives you 40% more edge by default, so I say go smaller. I love the Lil Matriarch the most. The distal taper down the edge gives you a thin blade near the tip on the hawk portion and it gives you a thicker blade on the belly portion, but you can control how deep you go with the belly, keep it on the thinner ground part or go right in if you want to fight the grind a little bit.

Where is Knifeworks when I need a serrated M4 Military and Para 2? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote: The thing to think about with serrations is how thin the actual edge is. I believe most come in at what equals about 20 degrees inclusive (someone can correct me on that) since you have such a steep angle on the serrations and then a flat bevel on the other side. So, it depends on the kinds of material you're cutting, but if you wanna do an easy test just go get some thick double wall corrugated box and cut through it with a FFG and a hollow grind and see which one binds up the least.
I want to say the primary grind is a little thinner than 20 degrees from the almost zero on the other side. (I believe they try to aim for 30 degree inclusive, so aiming for 15 on one side and half of the FFG would be around 5 degrees.) The almost zero is probably a few degrees off center on the FFG.

Your micro bevel is probably 20 degrees plus the same 5-ish.

These are all theoretical educational guesses. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:
Evil D wrote: The thing to think about with serrations is how thin the actual edge is. I believe most come in at what equals about 20 degrees inclusive (someone can correct me on that) since you have such a steep angle on the serrations and then a flat bevel on the other side. So, it depends on the kinds of material you're cutting, but if you wanna do an easy test just go get some thick double wall corrugated box and cut through it with a FFG and a hollow grind and see which one binds up the least.
I want to say the primary grind is a little thinner than 20 degrees from the almost zero on the other side. (I believe they try to aim for 30 degree inclusive, so aiming for 15 on one side and half of the FFG would be around 5 degrees.) The almost zero is probably a few degrees off center on the FFG.

Your micro bevel is probably 20 degrees plus the same 5-ish.

These are all theoretical educational guesses. :p

Yeah I don't know the math either. I could probably get a good guestimate with my Edge Pro and angle finder. This is getting off topic but it makes me wonder how a PE blade would perform in a chisel grind at the same angle that serrations are cut.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Well, I DID grind a Lil Matriarch to a PE.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.