Spyderedged EDCs: Your Pick? And Why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruarch

Re: Spyderedged EDCs: Your Pick? And Why?

Post by Ruarch »

Pac Salt is my favorite SE. SE Domino would warm the cockles of my heart.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
swigert

Post by swigert »

I carry a SE hawk ill LB every day. Perfect compliment to the PE blade.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'm big on all SE knives for outdoor and general EDCs.... The Spyderedge is one of the Spyderco 'killer apps' as much as the opening hole, for me-
Take a 2.5" knife and add a Spyderedge- you've now got really 5" cutting edge with maybe a dozen points along that edge which will give haptic feedback on the object you go to cut and prevent it slipping or bouncing off. Spyderedges just chew through materials.

I carried a Delica 4 all stainless SE model for ages, and it's still in the regular rotation- indeed, it gets put in my hold luggage when I travel so I can keep it with me in foreign climes.
It's small, slim and (most importantly) if it goes walkies at any point, will be easy to replace.

The Harpy rarely leaves my side when I'm on holiday- especially at the coast. Yes, it's no good for food prep on a chopping board, but does everything else like a heavyweight champ. I have started to replace it with the Tasman Salt when around salt water.

For something a bit bigger, the all stainless serrated Police and my 1999 G10 Police FFG SE are superb....There's not a situation that I could find myself in they wouldn't amply cope with....I used to EDC the Endura stainless SE too, but the Police is a bit more of everything and the finer tip is useful for light craft work....I've also found the Pacific Salt SE blacked out model displaced all of these just recently.

Of course, if the need is there, then the Civilian is the sine qua non of serrated edge folding knives ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
elena86

Post by elena86 »

demoncase wrote:I'm big on all SE knives for outdoor and general EDCs.... The Spyderedge is one of the Spyderco 'killer apps' as much as the opening hole, for me-
Take a 2.5" knife and add a Spyderedge- you've now got really 5" cutting edge with maybe a dozen points along that edge which will give haptic feedback on the object you go to cut and prevent it slipping or bouncing off. Spyderedges just chew through materials.

I carried a Delica 4 all stainless SE model for ages, and it's still in the regular rotation- indeed, it gets put in my hold luggage when I travel so I can keep it with me in foreign climes.
It's small, slim and (most importantly) if it goes walkies at any point, will be easy to replace.

The Harpy rarely leaves my side when I'm on holiday- especially at the coast. Yes, it's no good for food prep on a chopping board, but does everything else like a heavyweight champ. I have started to replace it with the Tasman Salt when around salt water.

For something a bit bigger, the all stainless serrated Police and my 1999 G10 Police FFG SE are superb....There's not a situation that I could find myself in they wouldn't amply cope with....I used to EDC the Endura stainless SE too, but the Police is a bit more of everything and the finer tip is useful for light craft work....I've also found the Pacific Salt SE blacked out model displaced all of these just recently.

Of course, if the need is there, then the Civilian is the sine qua non of serrated edge folding knives ;)
How does the Pac Salt SE work for you ? It's one of my favorites but I moded mine(non coated) with a pointed tip.I would like to get a black coated one since it looks so sexy but the rounded tip gets in the way sometimes.At least for me it does.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Autonomy. Awesome utility knife that is easy to open with work gloves on.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

elena86 wrote:
demoncase wrote: Snippy-di-doodah
How does the Pac Salt SE work for you ? It's one of my favorites but I moded mine(non coated) with a pointed tip.I would like to get a black coated one since it looks so sexy but the rounded tip gets in the way sometimes.At least for me it does.
Really, really well....While I'm not a fan of the aesthetic of the rounded tip, there's a certain extra confidence in the added tip strength.

I am also a massive fan of the Volcano textured FRN handle pattern.....It's really my perfect large EDC (oooh, matron!)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Delica. Big enough, not too big, light, durable, replaceable. I don't always use SE, but when I do, I choose a delica.

That being said, my SE delica is a red trainer blade swap, so it's probably one of the more annoying ones to replace (although not technically difficult, since both SE and red are still available).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ladybug Hawkbill, but would love a SE Dodo
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Been away for a while, guys. ;)
I'm not the biggest fan of the Serrated Edge, the only Spydies with SE that I carry occasionally are the Calypso jr, the Almite Ayoob and the blue Dodo.

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The only SE FFG blade I have is a Tenacious. It's awesomely ferocious at tearing boxes and plants apart. And despite the low end steel it performs well.

I've slowly acquired a nice varied assortment of SE Spyderco's. I think I only have one PE left actually. I really like the Police but it's gigantic. The Mariner is a nice size for me and except for not being very pointy it's a very useful knife.

Wish I hadn't passed on the SE Stretch when it was widely available. Had a PE and wasn't wild about, but there just aren't many SE FFG models.

Honestly I doubt I'll be buying another PE Spyderco. When I see new designs I'm always disappointed that they're plain edge only.
LC Kid

SE LadyBug Wise

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My Go-To EDC Blade Combo always includes either a SE Green Lime Jester or a SE Yellow H1 Hawkbill LadyBug. :spyder:

Why? Because I find way more convenient SE in a little blade format, and in both cases the bright color is always useful. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I can only speak on what I've owned which isn't really all that much, but the one thing I've learned is that the same traits that make a PE blade perform well also apply to SE. The actual edge is only part of the equation, you still need a blade grind that will slice efficiently. Because of that I've mostly avoided all the hollow/saber ground SE blades because of what I know about PE blades of the same grind. I prefer FFG blades for my SE knives, so my favorites are the Stretch and Military. The Dragonfly can cheat it's way in despite having a hollow grind because it's fairly high on the blade and the blade is pretty thin.

But, all in all my Stretch is a pretty amazing performer.
Not trying to split hairs or anything of the like but the older AUS-8 Catcherman was quite a bit thicker than the newer MBS-26 or H-1 versions. And the AUS-8 version is also a full hollow grind as well. I'm sure the STRETCH is a great blade in full SE but if you ever get a chance to test drive either an older 440V SE Military or one of the full SE big C-54 Calypso models you'll be amazed.

Also another Brother mentioned the original FFG ATS-55 SE Police model>> I had one of those too but I didn't think it cut quite a good as the C-54 Calypso did. But if you ever get a chance to nail one of the older AUS-8 CAtcherman models you'll see that I'm telling you the truth>>it is a cutting machine in full SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:Been away for a while, guys. ;)
I'm not the biggest fan of the Serrated Edge, the only Spydies with SE that I carry occasionally are the Calypso jr, the Almite Ayoob and the blue Dodo.
Greetings Marcus good to have you back! We are on the same page quite a bit concerning these great old school Spyders>> the three you mentioned are all great and ones I tend to prefer as well. The only slight exception I'll take is concerning the Calypso Jr. model>> I prefer the larger, full sized original C-54 big Calypso in SE over the Junior model. The longer blade assisted by the full flat grind makes it a super Spyderedged all purpose blade IMO. Oh but don't get me wrong because I've had a Spyderedged Caly Jr before and they are a little buzz saw of a blade to be sure>> I was amazed at how aggressive it was for a shorter blade. If you ever do get to try out one of the C-54 big Calypso models in SE you won't believe the cutting power that bad boy has. That longer FFG blade penetrates like a laser :cool:

Just to let you know I did at one time have one of the original 2003 era Spyderedged Dodo models that I carried and used a lot and I deeply regret trading that one because I haven't been able to replace it either :( It simply goes without saying that there are quite a few fans of the Spyderedged Ayoob model who claim it to be the best serrated folder that Spyderco has made up till now. The belly on the SE Ayoob model is just down right aggressive beyond belief :cool:

Again MARCUS your tastes in these awesome old school Spyders seem to parallel mine completely. Also I'm wondering if you ever got to test drive one of the original C-36 Military models in 440V Spyderedge?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just used my Dragonfly Salt to cut up a bunch of old carpet. It's truly amazing how aggressive SE handles something like carpet and how such a small knife can do so much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I just used my Dragonfly Salt to cut up a bunch of old carpet. It's truly amazing how aggressive SE handles something like carpet and how such a small knife can do so much.
It is truly mind-blowing at how awesome many of those smaller serrated Spyders perform. Just the other day I had a friend of mine who I hadn't heard from in quite a while was bragging about how great his Carbon Fiber SE Cricket worked for him ( that he got from me ;) ). I want' to find another SE Dodo model so bad that I just can't stand it much longer>> most people don't believe what I've told them about the old, original SE Dodo model . Because EVIL D is right some of these smaller SE Spyders in many cases are all you need to do about 90% of your cutting jobs. And they make excellent companion blades along side a great EDC PE folder.

In many cases it really doesn't take a great length of blade contact to do what needs to be done in many cases. In the case of SE Reverse S blades, SE Hawkbill blades, and just short blades with a great Spyderedge can do more than most people think they can. And so far I've heard nothing but good about the new Native 5 in SE. Spyderco is truly king of the small bladed folder and especially those in Spyderedge.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I still like my enduras

Endura 2 today

MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote:I prefer the larger, full sized original C-54 big Calypso in SE over the Junior model. The longer blade assisted by the full flat grind makes it a super Spyderedged all purpose blade IMO. Oh but don't get me wrong because I've had a Spyderedged Caly Jr before and they are a little buzz saw of a blade to be sure>> I was amazed at how aggressive it was for a shorter blade. If you ever do get to try out one of the C-54 big Calypso models in SE you won't believe the cutting power that bad boy has. That longer FFG blade penetrates like a laser :cool:
Completely forgot about the C54 and you are absolutetely right Joe.
I don't carry mine that often, because I usually don't need such a long blade.
I'm a nostalgic guy, so I use my C16 with the Gingami-1 blade in those cases where a longer blade is necessary.
Seems to be pretty rare in full Spyderegde. Mine is in my possession for over twenty years.

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

One of these:

I prefer FFG, but the hollow ground JD Smith is such a nice knife and size, it is carried the most. The Native rides in my bag every day as backup because its so light, but does not see much action otherwise.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:One of these:

I prefer FFG, but the hollow ground JD Smith is such a nice knife and size, it is carried the most. The Native rides in my bag every day as backup because its so light, but does not see much action otherwise.
Absolutely great display of some super old school Spyders!!! Well "Brock O Lee" if I were there in person I would be given you a "high five" for sure ;)

Great observation concerning the JD Smith model because I do somewhat respectfully disagree with EVIL D>> Now he's absolutely right that the full flat grind Spyderedged blades are super aggressive>> no argument there at all. He proved his point for sure ;) But concerning that Spyderedged JD Smith model and I do happen to own one by the way thanks to a super good Spyder Brother :cool: Regardless of the grind that the JD Smith has it's still a super good serrated EDC blade any way you use it. Now I'm not saying that that full flat grind Spyderedge wouldn't beat it in a cutting race but that JD Smith is just as good in SE as it is in PE and it performs super good regardless of it's blade grind IMO. In my humble opinion it's in the same league as the C-60 Ayoob as far as aggressive cutting performance is concerned.

I think the blade geometry of the SE version of the JD Smith is conducive to being nearly as good as a cross-cut saw on every cutting job I've used it on. And I've owned and used at least 3 of the JD Smith models (PE & SE) over the years (not including the ones I had NIB in my collection). The JD Smith in SE or PE should have been one of the icons like the POLICE, Delica and Endura IMO.

And I'll also stand my ground concerning SE Hawkbills and them being hollow grind>> I do believe that the hollow grind on Hawkbill Spyders does them justice in PE or SE >> IMO
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I end up carrying my SE Cricket a lot. Other than that, it is an SE Delica 4, ZDP SE Endura, or a Caly 3 SE.

More and more, I have just been carrying an SE knife and not bothering much with PE.