Tempted to use Loctite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Tempted to use Loctite

Post by dbcad »

On the Serge Roc, In it's natural steady state the action is beautifully smooth but the pieces just have a wee bit too much play for me to feel comfy. I give the pivot a very small piece of a turn with the socket and it feels perfect for me. On it's own after a few dozen open and close cycles the pivot gravitates back to it's natural state.

It's not a huge deal and only someone as used to these knives as I am would even notice the difference, I guess a bit of compulsion is showing :o None of my other liner/ framelock models have this quirk.

Guessing the loctite routine is pretty standard from what I'm used to from car work. The screw comes all of the way out, cleaned, then the engagement threads get a coat. The screw is then retightened to the desired torque.

The Roc as a model is working out quite well for me :D Strong, stable, non-pointy, slices up a charcoal bag then comes in and works well with a cutting board :D :D It'll hog out wood as well. Enjoying playing with the finish on the edge with the SM. Currently at a UF but I could go back to a CBN very quickly for rougher work :D

Anyone else have this loctite or not question?
Attachments
liner lock knives.jpg
Evil D

Re: Tempted to use Loctite

Post by Evil D »

Just don't use the red, go with blue or even purple and you'll be fine. I use blue on all my screws.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Just like evil d says, a little drop of the blue should do wonders. I use it whenever needed with good results.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I had a similar problem with my Sage 1. The pivot never loosened up enough to induce blade play but the blade centering was off a little. So I would adjust the pivot screw and recenter the blade but after a few days of use I would notice the centering was off again. So I removed and cleaned the pivot screw, added a drop of blue loctite, reinstalled the screw so the blade was centered and it's been great ever since.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!