2017 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

2017 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by TazKristi »

Contest Overview:
Enter the 2017 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members (this will be our 6th year). A total of 13 images will be chosen - one image to represent every month and one grand prize winner whose image will adorn the coveted cover page.

Contest starts today, 27-Apr-2016 and ends at 1600MDT Monday, 11-Jul-2016. Winners will be selected by Spyderco and will be posted on the forum by Monday, 18-Jul-2016.

Calendars will be available for purchase this autumn through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store.

The Prizes:
  • • The grand prize winner will receive a Spyderco Native 5 40th Anniversary (C41CF40TH - MSRP $599.95) and have their photo featured on the cover of the calendar.

• Artists who have their images chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 12) will each receive a Mantra (C202TIP - MSRP $279.95).

• Each member who enters the contest will receive a 2017 calendar when they become available. Please enter to win - don’t enter just to receive the calendar. We appreciate everyone’s interest and support and look forward to another fantastic calendar!
Please read all of the info below before posting. We know it’s a lot of words, but it’s important!

Submission Guidelines:
  • • Please include a 2-5 sentence description of your entry - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

• Please include the product name (if you know it) in your post.

• Entry must include a Spyderco product (at least one, but multiple are welcome). Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Your chosen product can be pristine, used or radically modified.

• We encourage you to use your imagination and show us your creativity. Just remember, family-friendly!

• Themed images are welcome. Have a favorite season or holiday? Showcase it in your image.

• If your camera or image software can manipulate it – we’ll consider it. Be creative!

• Entries must be in a digital format and meet the formatting requirements below.

• Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must edit your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

• In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300dpi image to our Forums. Keeping up with web standards, a 72dpi image preview that does not exceed 960px in width for the forum will be just fine. You may use Photobucket or any similar photo sharing site to provide a link to your image so long as all other requirements are met within your post. If you use a photo sharing site, the image must remain publicly available online until 18-Jul-2016.

FORMATTING Requirements:
  • • The Spyderco 2017 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. All portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

• Final Print Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
    Width: 3450 px
    Height: 2700 px
    Resolution: 300
    (This translates to 11.5” x 9” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)

• Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
    Width: 960px
    Resolution: 72
When we announce the winners, we will also announce how to submit your hi-res image if your image is chosen. If you cannot supply the high-res file of your image at the end of the contest, your winning submission will be forfeited.

Content Restrictions:
  • • The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright).
    • Your submission must be entirely original and created by you.
    • Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non-Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors.
    • Only family-friendly, tasteful submissions will be considered. Remember this calendar will be hanging in someone’s home or office.
NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest. However, we cannot guarantee this so be sure to meet all requirements and review the content restrictions carefully prior to posting.

Eligibility:
  • • The 2017 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to members of the Spyderco.com Forum who are at least 18 years of age. Proof of age may be required.
    • Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies, and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win.

Obligatory Fine Print:
  • • Submitted images become the exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.
    • This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.
    • Please keep in mind that there are various laws and regulations regarding knives throughout the world. If you are selected as a winner and you live in a region that prohibits us from sending the intended prize we have the right to substitute your prize as we see fit.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Liquid Cobra

Re: 2017 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ok this thread has certainly brightened my day. Thank you Kristi and everyone at Spyderco for doing this again!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Exciting! I'm determined to submit a winner this time around :D!!! Can't wait to see some of the entries!
-Nick :bug-red
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Fantastic news for a Hump Day. ;) Thanks for the heads up, Kristi. Let the game begin! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Guess I need to finally buy a real camera :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Woot! woot! This is gonna be my year. :D thanks for the contest.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Gosh the year has flown by. Can't wait to try again! Thanks, Kristi.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Thanks Kristi

I'm going to get you a good one this year.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow this feels so much earlier this year. I stood out last year but I'm in it to win it this year :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Oh my those prizes... time to start coming up with ideas!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Evil D wrote:Wow this feels so much earlier this year. I stood out last year but I'm in it to win it this year :cool:
We are starting a little earlier than usual. Last year, we actually started late. We're hoping to get a jump on it and continue to improve the calendar. :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Yay!....

....Do we submit on this thread? ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

demoncase wrote:Yay!....

....Do we submit on this thread? ;)
TazKristi wrote: ...
• In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. ...
Yes, please do. We need everything in one place to simplify the process and ensure that no one's entry is missed.

Thanks!
kosta

Post by kosta »

Good news. I will participate.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Wow! As if I needed more incentive than the fame, you guys really raised the stakes this year! Good luck fellas!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Go on then- I'll go first:

British Blades Urban in the woods.

Spyderco provide the very best knives that meet the UK's strict Pen-Knife law- allowing a sub-3" non-locking folder to be carried at any time without needing a reason to do so.
The various slipjoints Spyderco produce for this- starting with the dedicated UKPK- are always perfectly thought-through with premium materials.
This particular variant of the Urban is perfect in the woods as well as the town, a custom version in Elmax and British Racing Green FRN for the ever loyal British Blades forum. I felt the dark green of the handle with the leaf-shaped blade make a nice visual pun with the wood.
Last edited by demoncase on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
NinjaRyder0920

Post by NinjaRyder0920 »

Here's my entry!

Perrin PPT Black Blade Sprint Run

Still one of my favorite models in the past few years, especially since it is a re-release of an early version. Such terrific precision and quality is exemplified in this knife. A creative design that is then built by an outstanding company.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Seeing this thread pop up has certainly brightened my mood on our rainy holiday! There's already some great entry's and I cannot wait to compose my own! Good luck to everyone joining in this year and a big thank you to everyone at Spyderco for giving us a chance to compete! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

Hopefully, the 2017 calendar will be available for purchase BEFORE DECEMBER 31st !!!

Last year's production was a mess with nothing but excuses on why it was delayed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RangeRover wrote:Hopefully, the 2017 calendar will be available for purchase BEFORE DECEMBER 31st !!!

Last year's production was a mess with nothing but excuses on why it was delayed.
I'm sure it was a complete lack of competency :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David