Harpy G10 Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Harpy G10 Sprint

Post by Johnnie1801 »

It was discussed a while back over on BF but is a G10 Harpy sprint still on the cards?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Re: Harpy G10 Sprint

Post by bearfacedkiller »

PE? Yes please!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd buy one in either PE or SE. VG-10 wold be fine with me. Dark green peel-ply G-10 would be awesome for this Sprint IMHO. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Johnnie1801 wrote:It was discussed a while back over on BF but is a G10 Harpy sprint still on the cards?
Yeah Johnnie I do remember that from last summer I believe it was over at BF>> even Sal himself chimed in on that thread. It seemed like even he was positive about it. I want another G-10 Harpy so bad I would probably pay close to full flaming retail to get one. The original G-10 Harpy is one of my all time favorite utility knives. The stainless Harpy is OK but the G-10 Harpy handles so nice that to me it's a completely different model all together.

I sure hope they didn't abort plans for a G-10 Harpy. Even if it's just a Sprint run I'm sure they'll sell out quickly.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I would definitely be in! Hap40?!
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

I'd be in for a G10 harpy, it's only the SS that's put me off getting one

Lee
Sully

Post by Sully »

SpyderNut wrote:I'd buy one in either PE or SE. VG-10 wold be fine with me. Dark green peel-ply G-10 would be awesome for this Sprint IMHO. :)
I'd buy that version! Or even H-1 SE with the Dark Green G-10 suggested, if that's not heresy.

Assuming reversible clip, of course.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SE ? Yes please
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sully wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I'd buy one in either PE or SE. VG-10 wold be fine with me. Dark green peel-ply G-10 would be awesome for this Sprint IMHO. :)
I'd buy that version! Or even H-1 SE with the Dark Green G-10 suggested, if that's not heresy.

Assuming reversible clip, of course.
Oh aye, H1 would be stellar too. Or even LC200N. :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the rebirth of popularity that the G-10 POLICE model has enjoyed it would only make good business sense to give the G-10 Harpy another shot at fame IMO. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who told me that they would jump on a G-10 Harpy. When I either lost or got my G-10 Harpy stolen from me ( I'm not sure which it was)>> I grieved over that knife for almost 2 months before I got over it.

But a new one with VG-10 steel would just make perfect sense. OH yes I would definitely want it available in PE & SE both.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

I really don't see how a the shackle opener on the Harpy would work with G-10 scales?
If you want the harpy without the shackle opener, why not opt for a Tasman G-10 sprint?
Studey

Post by Studey »

CaptainT wrote:I really don't see how a the shackle opener on the Harpy would work with G-10 scales?
If you want the harpy without the shackle opener, why not opt for a Tasman G-10 sprint?
Because that would require a totally different frame for the knife. A G10 harpy without the shackle is more likely to happen, as it's already happened before.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

Studey wrote:
CaptainT wrote:I really don't see how a the shackle opener on the Harpy would work with G-10 scales?
Because that would require a totally different frame for the knife. A G10 harpy without the shackle is more likely to happen, as it's already happened before.
"Totally different frame" you say, how is that? Is there really so much that differs between G10 and FRN that the whole frame has to be modified?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

CaptainT wrote:
Studey wrote:
"Totally different frame" you say, how is that? Is there really so much that differs between G10 and FRN that the whole frame has to be modified?
I wouldn't think much modifying would be necessary, really--as long as the G-10 or FRN scales aren't too thick and as long as it has dual liners.

Studey

Post by Studey »

CaptainT wrote:
No, it wouldn't be that hard...obviously the shape could remain the same and you just build the handle with liners and G10. My point is that hasn't been done, to the best of my knowledge. Have any FRN models been converted to a G10 handle for a sprint? Not referring to the Endura or Delicas.

Many people ask for changes in sprints that, while they may not seem difficult, would require major adjustments in production. Getting a G10 Harpy brought back is more likely to happen then getting an H1 Tasman--or the Merlin--to be built with a different handle style than it's ever had before.
Ed Ricketts

Post by Ed Ricketts »

I'm down with a harpy sprint, but i'd REALLY like to see a spyderhawk serrated sprint, almost any steel or handle. I'd prefer frn to keep the cost down, any color but burgundy. But wouldn't turn up my nose at other handles.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This would be a must have for me. I really enjoyed my Tasman for the brief time I had it. I've always liked the Harpy handle over the Delica/Salt style handles. It's a win win.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:This would be a must have for me. I really enjoyed my Tasman for the brief time I had it. I've always liked the Harpy handle over the Delica/Salt style handles. It's a win win.
Also consider the fact that the Harpy model has more bulk to it. The Spine on the blade is thicker and I tend to like Spyders with thick spines. I own TASMAN models and use them on occasion but they are not the knife that the Harpy is. I hate to say that the TASMAN is a cheaper Harpy because that wouldn't be fair but it is basically a MERLIN with H-1 steel.

Also the Harpy handle just feels better in my hand and has a more natural feel to it IMO. But a Harpy with this newer/better G-10 that we have now >> that would even blow away the older one. If it's a Sprint Run it will sell out fast I'm sure of it. If they put it back in the main line up for a while I bet it might even sell better than the timeless stainless model>> depending on the price of course.

I'm still scratching my head over why the first run of the G-10 Harpy was a flop at the box office :confused: But there were a lot of changes during the ATS-55 era and a lot of popular models were competing against each other.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:This would be a must have for me. I really enjoyed my Tasman for the brief time I had it. I've always liked the Harpy handle over the Delica/Salt style handles. It's a win win.
Also consider the fact that the Harpy model has more bulk to it. The Spine on the blade is thicker and I tend to like Spyders with thick spines. I own TASMAN models and use them on occasion but they are not the knife that the Harpy is. I hate to say that the TASMAN is a cheaper Harpy because that wouldn't be fair but it is basically a MERLIN with H-1 steel.

Also the Harpy handle just feels better in my hand and has a more natural feel to it IMO. But a Harpy with this newer/better G-10 that we have now >> that would even blow away the older one. If it's a Sprint Run it will sell out fast I'm sure of it. If they put it back in the main line up for a while I bet it might even sell better than the timeless stainless model>> depending on the price of course.

I'm still scratching my head over why the first run of the G-10 Harpy was a flop at the box office :confused: But there were a lot of changes during the ATS-55 era and a lot of popular models were competing against each other.
You raise a good point, JD. As with many Spyderco models, I wonder if the original G-10 Harpy was simply just ahead of its time. In other words, a knife like that would likely be more successful in today's time vs. twenty plus years ago. :)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's interesting "SPYDERNUT" because I never really looked at it that way before. But you may well be correct as to why the first ATS-55 version of the G-10 Harpy was an apparent failure on the sales charts. It's one of many of Spyderco's great models that didn't gain any significant recognition until it was pulled from the main line up.

But again what I find interesting is that the G-10 Police model has had a resurgence of popularity since it was reintroduced. I got a feeling that the G-10 Harpy on it's second go around will absolutely enjoy the success that it's deserved all along. Because most Spyderco fans and afficionados are much more sophisticated in their knowledge of materials and which ones have special advantages. Because look how many very successful models now do very well with G-10 handles.

I think the fan base is there now without any doubt and a new G-10 Harpy I believe will blow away it's stainless handled counterpart.