which Mule steel for what

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
cckw

which Mule steel for what

Post by cckw »

I have been a Mule collector for a while and have finished a couple of them. I sold both of those and want to do 2 new users. I want one to be the best for edge retention for normal cutting use, I assume this is S110V. The other I want for toughness for things like bushcraft. I know there have been some good ones, but I don't know how to sleuth out the best especially since Spyderco doesn't provide the HRC. Hopefully enough people have really worked these over rather then shelving them like i have mostly done. thanks!

Edit to add: As some of you have pointed out Mule is not a bushcraft type design. I do understand that. I wanted to give an example so you would know I wasn't expecting to use it for a can opener or whatever. btw, My favorite of my bushcraft knives is a custom made by Ray Kirk/Raker knives. It is a bug out blade, BOB 1. Not only a great knife but a nice guy with a great personal history. Of course I use a Mora most of the time because of no worry for damage or loss.
Last edited by cckw on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Re: which Mule steel for what

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Availability may be your main issue. I have the S110v and M4 mules and they should be great for your intended uses but the M4 mule doesn't pop up too often. There was one in Cruwear which is tough and the 4V Mule was still available directly through Spyderco last time I checked which would be affordable, easy to attain as well as tough. Mules are pretty slicey so it is only gonna be so tough but it should do light bush crafting just fine. I have used Mules extensively in the outdoors for camping, backpacking and processing game.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vvs

Post by vvs »

The other I want for toughness for things like bushcraft.
Hi cckw,

In my experience mules are good-to-best for cutting, but average-to-poor for bushcraft: thin edge will likely jam in wood and may bend when pulled out rough. Default handle shape IMO designed for light power delicate cutting, not for power-applied whittling. Bushcraft classic has 18 degrees angle for splitting wood, and the handle is different also. You may take a look on the (very effective) handle of Pekka's Puukko - the best wood cutter I own hands down.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There was some talk about 3 to 4 months ago about the possibility of them doing a MULE model in CPM-REX. I haven't heard any more about that but it is one MULE I would really like to have. Actually I wouldn't mind one in M390 either but I'm especially interested in the CPM-REX. So do any of you know anything about that rumor? And which is the next one due to come forth?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD, there should be one coming in CPM20CV which should satisfy your itch for M390 and yes, Maxamet and Rex121 are supposed to be coming too. When? Only Sal and company knows. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The 4V is still available I believe and the new one in RWL-34 would be tough to beat.

Both of these meet the demands.

So far the K390 would be the edge retention leader in the Mules and S110V would be for stainless, both however would be hard to find now.

I would recommend the 4V for the bushcraft type uses and the RWL-34 hold an edge extremely well for general use.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

For edge holding go with S110V until a CPM20CV is released.
For toughness the 4V is likely the toughest available Mule, but the blade is not built to be tough. It's a thin slicer. I wouldn't put it through any spine whacking or rough abuse even if it was made from 3V.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

You really need a steel that can be easily maintained for bushcraft purposes, that's why people often go with simple carbon steels because of the ease of sharpening and edge retention. Sharpening 4V in the wild would be a chore, I would think.

Did Spyderco offer O1 blanks at some point? Why does that seem familiar...
cckw

Post by cckw »

Cujobob wrote:You really need a steel that can be easily maintained for bushcraft purposes, that's why people often go with simple carbon steels because of the ease of sharpening and edge retention. Sharpening 4V in the wild would be a chore, I would think.

Did Spyderco offer O1 blanks at some point? Why does that seem familiar...
When the bushcrafter first came out they have problems with the wood supplied. So the first batch was sold with cracked wood, then the rest of the blanks sold. They later reintroduced it with the current G10 (or is it Micarta?) handle.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

You might be able to find a woodcraft mule in s30v. These were not part of the mule line up but it was a blank made for woodcraft. I think it is a sabre grind edge. I have not found a problem using mules for multiple purposes. That is what they are designed for. I think we limit knife use by the perception of what it could be used for, not the reality of it in use.
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

K390 is the best yet offered for edge retention. It beats M390 and S110V

I'm holding out for CPM Rex 121!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Cheygriz wrote:K390 is the best yet offered for edge retention. It beats M390 and S110V
K390 was the edge retention mule king in my stable, but maxamet has by far taken over that crown.
For toughness, it's a toss up between the 4's.
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

Thanks for responding.
Since I use knives strictly for cutting, toughness is irrelavent to me.

How does Maxamet compare to K390 and Rex 121?

Somewhere in between these two, perhaps??
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

I like CPM M-4 for an all around mule. It seems to do it all.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Micro-Melt PD1 is still available from Spyderco, and it's essentially the same composition as CPM Cru-wear.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"