Couldn't hack the Gayle Bradley 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
glbpro

Couldn't hack the Gayle Bradley 2

Post by glbpro »

A few days ago I got a Gayle Bradley 2 - loved the look of the knife and the way it felt in my hand. Unfortunately I just couldn't deal with the lock release - the combination of the non-relieved scale, the sharp jimping on the lockbar and the sharp edge of the proud liner which is exposed by the slightly undersized handle scale were just too much for me in the end. So I returned it and got a Mantra instead, which is proving to be a much less painful experience!

Guess I'm not man enough for that knife! :rolleyes:

Bruno
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Couldn't hack the Gayle Bradley 2

Post by Doc Dan »

Sometimes the Taiwan knives have very sharp edges. They do not take the time to work the metal edges so that they will be more finished. My carbon fiber Chaparral was like that. It was so sharp in some places it could cut you. However, 2 minutes with a Blade Medic and I fixed all of that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

glbpro wrote:A few days ago I got a Gayle Bradley 2 - loved the look of the knife and the way it felt in my hand. Unfortunately I just couldn't deal with the lock release - the combination of the non-relieved scale, the sharp jimping on the lockbar and the sharp edge of the proud liner which is exposed by the slightly undersized handle scale were just too much for me in the end. So I returned it and got a Mantra instead, which is proving to be a much less painful experience!

Guess I'm not man enough for that knife! :rolleyes:

Bruno
This is exactly why I sent mine back.. Glad to see I aint alone!! Got a RAT1, a couple cases of beer, and a fill up in its place!! :cool: John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The lock tab is one of the reasons I never owned the GB1, along with my preference for having a bit more of an index finger guard. Some knives I can live without it, but it was a bit too close for comfort on that knife. I never really considered the GB2 because it changed too many of the things I liked about the GB1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Mine will be here tomorrow. I hope thats not an issue for me since I love the look of the knife, and it will compliment my sage 1 nicely (carbon fiber). We will see... If i cant hack it I might blurple manix myself.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Mina arrived today and we're just getting to know each other. I had reservations about the proud liners, but I don't find them to be as noticeable as I had expected. The lock release is firm, but also secure from unintentional disengagement. It releases pretty easily if I wrap my right index finger around, rather than use my thumb.
aranawhite

Post by aranawhite »

It is a looker for sure. The Mantra rocks, yep, sure about that too.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Out of loyalty to Bradley, a fellow Texan, I don't think I will send mine back.
The liner lock is so disappointing, however, I have not been able to bring myself to carry it.
The claim to fame for Spyderco has always been the ease of one handed operation.
The troublesome, low profile, "safety" liner lock is a step backward in my view.
I think it is a mistake and hope it will not be repeated going forward.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

I got my GB2 a few days ago... and I'll be keeping it for sure. The lock bar has just the right amount of "sharp" grip and releases effortlessly for me. I have smaller hands though which probably makes it easier. I think the GB2 is a fantastic knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what it's worth many have modified the lock cutout. That would've been my plan if the rest of the knife did it for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Took me a couple of days, but I have no trouble with unlocking this knife with either hand. Just use the thumb meat and build a callous.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I never had an issue with the GB2 lock. Adding some downward pressure to mine its easier to disengage than my 0560, Gemini, or even sticky small Sebenza.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Love my GB1! I ended up modding mine quite a bit. Not because I had any real issues with it, just don't like wasted space or uneccesary material. It can also open similar to a front flipper now.
image.jpeg
While I was at it I added a bit of a relief for releasing the lock but never had an issue the way it was. I also made my scales a touch proud of the liners, again no real issue with the way they were but the denim micarta has such a nice feel it seemed a waste to keep the liners proud. I think the main thing I would want changed is for it to have a much stronger detent.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Some folks over British forum posted using the thumb pad rather than tip. Swipe it on top of the liner to left. I found this is easier to do and works with both left and right hand.
Chris :spyder:
phaust

Post by phaust »

Doc Dan wrote:Sometimes the Taiwan knives have very sharp edges. They do not take the time to work the metal edges so that they will be more finished. My carbon fiber Chaparral was like that. It was so sharp in some places it could cut you. However, 2 minutes with a Blade Medic and I fixed all of that.
Sal has said precise edges like this are considered high quality, so it's not quite a case of lack of finishing. (Me, I'll take comfort.)
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have the Gayle Bradley 1 and it didn't see much pocket time after the new knife factor wore off due to a lot of the reasons listed previously. While I am perfectly capable of operating it, I don't find it as convenient for edc as other knives like my all time favorite PM2. My view point has changed dramatically though in the last year since purchasing some acreage and building a house. I spend a significant amount of time with work gloves on now and all the negatives listed in this thread about the new all turn into positives for me once I put on a pair of gloves. It is the best folder I have found for use with work gloves on. If you own a GB1 or GB2, I encourage you to give it a try with a pair of gloves on.

I will say that the GB1 and GB2 are two of the nicest folding knives, custom or production I have handled. The fit and finish is as good as it gets.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Ferris Wheels wrote: It is the best folder I have found for use with work gloves on. If you own a GB1 or GB2, I encourage you to give it a try with a pair of gloves on.
You can operate that liner lock with leather work gloves on? I'm impressed.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

phaust wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:Sometimes the Taiwan knives have very sharp edges. They do not take the time to work the metal edges so that they will be more finished. My carbon fiber Chaparral was like that. It was so sharp in some places it could cut you. However, 2 minutes with a Blade Medic and I fixed all of that.
Sal has said precise edges like this are considered high quality, so it's not quite a case of lack of finishing. (Me, I'll take comfort.)

I do not think that is what he meant. For example, my Millie is nicely finished and all the edges broken. Even the hole is smoothed out. Precise, I believe, means that the edges are exactly what they are supposed to be without any flaws. High quality Spydercos like the Techno have wonderfully broken/smoothed edges. I do not think Sal would say those are not signs of high quality. Personally, if I spend over $100 on a knife and the edges are not finished I feel someone did not do their job and I could just as well have bought a $10 knife. My $40 Cat (Taiwan) was wonderfully put together and all edges broken but my $110 Chaparral (also Taiwan) needed work. It takes time, skill, and money to properly smooth out the edges without ruining them. Just sayin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

mrtodd777 wrote:Mine will be here tomorrow. I hope thats not an issue for me since I love the look of the knife, and it will compliment my sage 1 nicely (carbon fiber). We will see... If i cant hack it I might blurple manix myself.
I'm sure you'll be fine - this was more my personal preference than anything else, I should have spent more time with the knife in the store before buying it.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

hoimin wrote:Took me a couple of days, but I have no trouble with unlocking this knife with either hand. Just use the thumb meat and build a callous.
Yeah my issue is that I have quite a long nail on my right thumb (guitar playing) which gets in the way when working with frame or liner locks. So I need a larger cutout than most to access the lock bar - with the GB2 this was practically impossible.