Spyderco One Piece Tool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tap78

Re: Spyderco One Piece Tool

Post by tap78 »

There is one allready :)

Hehe... :)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
sal

Post by sal »

I'm watching the thread and we've considered one in the past, but the needs keep changing. I'll keep watching the thread, but no promises.

sal
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I personally am not really a giant fan of pocket tools. They add weight to my key ring and I never use them. I keep a Leatherman around if I need some sort of a tool but the are also a compromise. They kind of work ok but but not really. The bottle opener is a 100% must feature IMO if you do make a tool. I could justify a cool bottle opener pry bar Spyder tool.

That said I think a Spyderco style tool would be cool. Plus, if needs keep changing the tool could change over the years with different steels like H1 or tool steels and different designs. Sounds like a fun product. H1 steel would be cool, no rust.
Attachments
IMG_0023.jpg
tap78

Post by tap78 »

This is one piece tool.... designed by me...
I tried to put as many useful features in one small tool.
There suppose to be a belt cutter but the maker could not do that in designed way....

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Maybe a less ambitious tool is the answer. For example a Spyder key fob, bottle opener.

The Spyder rear end is very similar in shape to some cap lifters. A steel laser cut out of the Spyder of the proper size may get the job done with only minor modification. Put the Spyder butt under the cap and the legs on top and lift up.

Use the pincers in the head for a key ring.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I like that Tap78!
It even has the Spyder HoleTM already!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mad Mac wrote:Maybe a less ambitious tool is the answer. For example a Spyder key fob, bottle opener.

The Spyder rear end is very similar in shape to some cap lifters. A steel laser cut out of the Spyder of the proper size may get the job done with only minor modification. Put the Spyder butt under the cap and the legs on top and lift up.

I'm in for a cruwear spyderco bottle opener or h1 lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

PLEASE YES PLEASE MAKE ONE SAL!

WONDERFUL IDEA! THANK YOU JA!

Hopefully it would have an edge on it at least three to three and a half inches long, the trademarked hole, be made of a rugged stainless steel alloy, and have the bottle opener, can opener, possibly a serrated portion available on the blade, and a section strong enough to pry with in an emergency, screwdriver, possible some form of emergency wrench section on it, that sort of thing, all one piece.

Wow I love this idea!
Sully

Post by Sully »

Mad Mac wrote:Maybe a less ambitious tool is the answer. For example a Spyder key fob, bottle opener.

Tweak the angles on the legs that create that near-V-shape on either side. Make one 30° inclusive. The other, well, 40°, 'course. Inlay ultra fine ceramic stones. And off ya go with your Bug Out Sharpmocker!

Sorry, Sal, Gail, ALL. :o
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I just got a brous BMT tool today. Another nice one for my collection.

There's a big market of tool collectors that would jump on it. Like me lol

also I hang out with more than a few tool collectors and all were excited we are trying to get a spyder tool made.

Maybe this is a waste of time but I got to try
I got a empty spot where this tool should be
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

sal wrote:I'm watching the thread and we've considered one in the past, but the needs keep changing. I'll keep watching the thread, but no promises.

sal

Thanks Sal
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I like that Tap78!
It even has the Spyder HoleTM already!
That hole is a wire bender.... in that area suppose to be a belt cutter... but the maker couldn't do it at that time.

I think that one piece tool should be useful and slim to carry it daily and comfortable to use... but I'm sure that Spyderco designers and engineers are best in business and could design a one piece tools much better then me... :)

To do that - they must know what features are needed.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

My recommendation would be to include:

Flat tip and Phillips screwdriver (can do just partial Phillips to keep flat), a solid pry end, and a diamond sharpening hone to touch up knives on the go. Maybe it isn't technically one piece, but one piece tools are limited. Bottle openers add a hook which snags in pocket. The best you could do otherwise would be to make an easy to pocket pry tool with one of the non hook style bottle openers (flat type) about 3/4" away from the end of a pry bar. The pry area could consist of a standard flat tip screwdriver, and maybe a Phillips could be tossed on elsewhere, though it would look better with a keychain hook at other end.

Orrrrrr... since these are made out of steel, couldn't a few designs be made and packaged together since they should be cheap to build? A person could simply choose which of the 3-4 or so designs they want to go with.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I like this one-piece tool idea, but keep it simple. Bottle opener and prytool and that's it. It should be sleek and cool. There are many multi-tools that are too busy. If Spyderco makes a one-piece tool it shouldn't try to outdo other tools with extras. If it does one or two things well, looks good, feels good in the hand and carries well, that is enough.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I think we might have to desing two. One from our friendly bug logo and a meaner looking one for harder work. Why? I want one lol .
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

It is going to be hard to please everyone. Simplicity is the key. I don't know the story behind it but the pendant that Sal wears is simple and attractive.

Instead of a pendant put your key ring through the small hole and cut a correct size notch in the large hole and you have your self a bottle opener. The circles are a great representation of Spyderco.

Simple. Attractive. Done.
Last edited by rybu0305 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I think something like Lynch's Ti pry tool with a nice deep carry clip and a :spyder: would be perfect, nice blue anodizing. ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

This can be made.

I got a head full of ideas and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Let's get our heads together people.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

tap78 wrote:There is one allready :)

Hehe... :)
Its damm hard to improve on perfection
But I think that is more art than tool.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

A pommel of sorts with a pry bar tip would spare at least a few blade points. Could have a groove for a nail puller. It could be part of a steel liner that extends from under the scale. Make it broad so it doesn't act like a protrusion and stab you.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr